• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

cbuts

International Debutant
dont think the decsion on brock james was anything to do with abilty. was the fact that he wuold take the spot from a kiwi

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
cbuts said:
dont think the decsion on brock james was anything to do with abilty. was the fact that he wuold take the spot from a kiwi
Probably a blessing in disguise with the emergence of Jimmy Gopperth.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jason Robinson quits international Rugby

From the beeb's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/english/4279628.stm

Despite Jase's insisting that he still hs a lot to offer, anyone who saw his form in The 6 Nations & the Lions tour can see he's clearly not the player he was. He'd be 33 come France 2007, which is pensioner age for wings, so I really think he's made the right call. I also suspect Andy Robinson would've lacked the stones to make it, so it's good news for us IMO.

Opens up the full back slot nicely for Van Gisbergen too. Kinda depressing that the great white hope of English Rugby is a Kiwi with a Dutch passport tho. Ah, well... :D

Thanks for the memories tho Jason. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just watching The Taffs v The ABs. Very scrappy game so far. Taffs holding their own despite being several key players down (think the ABs are testing a few fringe players too). Maybe conceeding too much turn-over ball tho.

Kelleher shanked a dead-set try tho, the selfish little sod. Only had to pass to Umaga & the big fella was over. & as I type Gear goes over for the first try. 11-3 kick to come.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Just watching The Taffs v The ABs. Very scrappy game so far. Taffs holding their own despite being several key players down (think the ABs are testing a few fringe players too). Maybe conceeding too much turn-over ball tho.

Kelleher shanked a dead-set try tho, the selfish little sod. Only had to pass to Umaga & the big fella was over. & as I type Gear goes over for the first try. 11-3 kick to come.

Too comfortable for ABs. Wales didn't fire a shot. Ref wanted to be the star.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
Too comfortable for ABs. Wales didn't fire a shot. Ref wanted to be the star.
Second half was pretty embarrassing for Wales. Great game from Carter, seems to get better & better. Only scrap of consolation for an English fan (aside from Wales losing, obv! :D ) is that it's still 2 years to the WC. NZ have a bad habit of peaking too early.

Looking like a Slam tour tho.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Opens up the full back slot nicely for Van Gisbergen too. Kinda depressing that the great white hope of English Rugby is a Kiwi with a Dutch passport tho.
Yeah. Whatever happened to plain old straight forward Saffies carrying our proud nations sporting teams?

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Second half was pretty embarrassing for Wales. Great game from Carter, seems to get better & better. Only scrap of consolation for an English fan (aside from Wales losing, obv! :D ) is that it's still 2 years to the WC. NZ have a bad habit of peaking too early.

Looking like a Slam tour tho.

I hate it how we are percieved as peaking in between world cups. Are we supposed to not play our best and lose heaps of games like England in between world cups? Will that give us more of a chance in France in 07. The introduction of the World Cup has devalued the meaning of internationals IMO. It seems that all any one gives a toss about is the world cup.

Perhaps there should be a world championship knockout comp between each world cup so that we can gauge who are actually the world champions and so that the world cup doesn't become the be all and end all.

Maybe I would feel diferently if we could win the stupid thing. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
I hate it how we are percieved as peaking in between world cups. Are we supposed to not play our best and lose heaps of games like England in between world cups? Will that give us more of a chance in France in 07. The introduction of the World Cup has devalued the meaning of internationals IMO. It seems that all any one gives a toss about is the world cup.

Perhaps there should be a world championship knockout comp between each world cup so that we can gauge who are actually the world champions and so that the world cup doesn't become the be all and end all.

Maybe I would feel diferently if we could win the stupid thing. :D
I would like to see an official play-off between the 6 Nations & Tri-Nations champions. I agree with the perception of the WC as the be-all & end-all tho. It's certainly a straw we're clinging to up here! We're not just poo, we're building for the World Cup! :p

I didn't see the game, but I see that yer Frogs have done The Crims 26-16. Looks like the score flatters Oz a bit as they scored a last min converted try. I know they've got loadsa injuries, but they aren't looking too flash just lately. Eddie may be about to be shown the door.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I had to take life back a few years and listen to the match on the radio. Ugggh. Once again, we seem to be our own worst enemies - particularly with finishing moves off. If Kelleher had passed to Umaga (or even So'oialo on the inside) in the 16th minute, I think we would have passed 50 comfortably. Plenty of handling errors, but that's to be expected. It sounded like Masoe had a solid debut, as did Tialata. Umaga a bit inconsistent early on, but improved as the game went on.

Bring on Ireland - the Slam is looking good.

open365

International Vice-Captain
because being a player myself,i fail to see why we a team should give the other team the ball when they still have possesion after 5 tackles.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It's a yawnion team. No self respecting league team would have Liverpool in its name.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
I hate it how we are percieved as peaking in between world cups. Are we supposed to not play our best and lose heaps of games like England in between world cups?
No, but it makes more sense to build a side aiming for the World Cup - that's the big one.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, but it makes more sense to build a side aiming for the World Cup - that's the big one.
Did English supporters think that before they won? While I want the ABs to win the World Cup, I don't want us dropping a shedload of games inbetween. It's not part of the All Blacks culture. In saying that, I don't have any problems with the way the Henry Cartel is going about things.