• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing's top pound-for-pounders

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Not sure whether there are any boxing fans around the forum (it's an increasingly marginalised sport these days), but I wondered whether - in the light of his demolition job on Sharmba Mitchell - people rate Kostya Tszyu as a genuine contender for the top pound-for-pound slot.

I was going to post my top 5, but on reflection there are 4 who stand out some way clear of the rest in my view:

1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Bernard Hopkins
3. Erik Morales
4. Kostya Tszyu

I might have forgotten someone, but if pushed to make it a top 5 I'd probably go for Cory Spinks.

Any thoughts?

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Hopkins is a beast...i would love to see Mayweather and Kostya slog it out, but it is unlikely to happen because of the stupid cable networks :@

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
thewizard1o1 said:
Hopkins is a beast...i would love to see Mayweather and Kostya slog it out, but it is unlikely to happen because of the stupid cable networks :@
Light-Welter's an incredible division now - particularly since Mayweather joined it.

Looks like Ricky Hatton will get a shot at Tszyu first. Be great to see the winner of that face the winner of a Mayweather-Gatti clash. Then, of course, there's Migue Cotto (who, I think, could clean them all up in the next couple of years).

David

International 12th Man
About to reveal how little I know about boxing..

I heard that Roy Jones Jnr was meant to be pretty good in the pound for pound department? Although he did lose to whatshisface, yeah, specifics!

Anyways, I have a copy of EA Sports Fight Night 2004 on my XBox and thats a lot of fun.... Of course it does have Mr Jones Jnr as its pin up boy..

I think the glamour of boxing died with the previous era of heavyweights, most noticeably Tyson.. IMO

Really, I know nothing...

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
David said:
About to reveal how little I know about boxing..

I heard that Roy Jones Jnr was meant to be pretty good in the pound for pound department? Although he did lose to whatshisface, yeah, specifics!

Anyways, I have a copy of EA Sports Fight Night 2004 on my XBox and thats a lot of fun.... Of course it does have Mr Jones Jnr as its pin up boy..

I think the glamour of boxing died with the previous era of heavyweights, most noticeably Tyson.. IMO

Really, I know nothing...
Jones was as undisputed a no. 1 as you can get in these subjective, hypothetical debates, until his disputed win then dramatic loss against Antonio Tarver. Subsequently, he was a depressingly pale imitiation of his former self when losing to the workmanlike Glencoffe Johnson. Hopefully, he won't fight again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
garage flower said:
Light-Welter's an incredible division now - particularly since Mayweather joined it.

Looks like Ricky Hatton will get a shot at Tszyu first. Be great to see the winner of that face the winner of a Mayweather-Gatti clash. Then, of course, there's Migue Cotto (who, I think, could clean them all up in the next couple of years).
Just thought I'd dig up this thread to offer my belated congrats to Ricky Hatton for stopping the much heralded Tszyu at the end of round 11. Unfortunately I didn't see the fight (on pay-per-view & all), but nice to see one of boxings nice guys get a result.

Hopefully the first in a series of British victories over antipodean opponents this sporting summer! :D

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
CONGRATULATIONS TO RICKY "THE HITMAN" HATTON!!!

THE WORLD LIGHT WELTER-WEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD

He's named after you Aust :p!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well done to Hatton. Think that it was a major warning sign when Kostya had to get on the weights three separate times before making the weight. Congratulations to the Brit though, outclassed him.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamee999 said:
You're hardly a big boxing fan then.
Maybe he means he's a fan of 'big' boxing (i.e. heavyweight), or that he's a boxing fan who happens to be big. Maybe.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lord_of_darkness said:
Im a big boxing fan.. unfortunately i know nothing past heavy weight..
nothin like two fat guys beating on each other

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Maybe he means he's a fan of 'big' boxing (i.e. heavyweight), or that he's a boxing fan who happens to be big. Maybe.
Yeh I think Jamee misunderstood me.. im a fan of boxing the sport itself and my knowledge doesnt go below heavyweight boxing... used to do it couple of years back.. i still have my gloves.. and i should get back sometime..

nothin like two fat guys beating on each other
word the blows just get more lethal!