• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Union or League

Which Rugby code do you prefer?

• League

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Union

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Dont worry, we Aussies cant talk either, I cant remember the last time we had a team with out the odd, Tongan, Samoan, Fijian or even Zambian in there. :D

KennyD

New Zealanders too! If you gave Rockoko, Umaga etc back to Samoa and Fiji they'd be hella lot better teams...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do think the IRB needs to sort something out to look after the smaller South Sea Island nations a bit.

Aside from NZ & Oz having the pick of their best players, in the last WC we had the awful situation of Trevor Leota not being able to turn out for Samoa because Wasps wouldn't pay his wages whilst he was unavailable to them. So the poor guy had to choose between food on the table (metaphorically speaking) or playing for his country. You can see Wasps' point of view, but it was hardly a secret he was Samoan when they signed him.

If the smaller nations aren't looked after (and this applies to the smaller European nations too) international Union will go the same way as League.

KennyD

I agree^ but I dont think it will get as bad as League...

coz in league its 1. Australia 2. Daylight 3. Daylight 4.Daylight....15 New Zealand 16 Great Britain

BoyBrumby

Englishman
KennyD said:
I agree^ but I dont think it will get as bad as League...

coz in league its 1. Australia 2. Daylight 3. Daylight 4.Daylight....15 New Zealand 16 Great Britain
My mistake, I thought NZ had drawn with Australia as recently as 3 weeks ago! :D

But yeah, the international pool's a bit shallow in League. Some of the teams in the League World Cup were a little "contrived". Majority made up of Aussies/Kiwis/Englishmen with that crucial Scots/Irish/Welsh/Samoan/Fijian grandparent.

I think Willie Mason may've played for Tonga actually, if memeory serves!

KennyD

BoyBrumby said:
My mistake, I thought NZ had drawn with Australia as recently as 3 weeks ago! :D

But yeah, the international pool's a bit shallow in League. Some of the teams in the League World Cup were a little "contrived". Majority made up of Aussies/Kiwis/Englishmen with that crucial Scots/Irish/Welsh/Samoan/Fijian grandparent.

I think Willie Mason may've played for Tonga actually, if memeory serves!
I think he did, and El Masri played for lebanon, and Tuquiri for Fiji, I think...

And NZ drawing with us? they got lucky, thats all... :p