• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Union or League

Which Rugby code do you prefer?

• League

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Union

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Both

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Unions a far superior sport, but the only place it lacks is its exposure to the public. there's no real comp to follow. I still gave my vote to union...

But AFL? no there's an even better game

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
I like both games, having played both but I tend to watch rugby when the Test matches are on. So I prefer to watch league.

If I went to a private school, then that would be different.

I went to a private school, but I'm a Rugby League follower.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
I went to a private school, but I'm a Rugby League follower.
I bet your school played Union tho!

It's weird; nearly ten years after Union went open it's still the "posh" code. I went to a comprehensive (state) school, but in the south of England League doesn't get a look in so I played Union.

I went to uni in Hull (big League stronghold oop north), where I played Union & was referred to as a "rah-rah" by League players. Apparently that's the noise Union fans make when they cheer! :D

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:
That's right, it did play Union and also AFL, but no Rugby League. But I was exposed to Rugby League long before I went there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
That's right, it did play Union and also AFL, but no Rugby League. But I was exposed to Rugby League long before I went there.
I didn't think Queensland was Aussie Rules country? Or was your schooling elsewhere?

BTW: Aussie Rules; WTF is that all about?!?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
BoyBrumby said:
I didn't think Queensland was Aussie Rules country? Or was your schooling elsewhere?

Brisbane Lions have won the AFL comp 3 times out of the last 4 years. AFL country.

...and for the record, its a mad sport.

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:

HaHa, the Queensland AFL team has been in the finals the last 4 years and won 3 finals in a row, until this year. When I left in 1997, they'd only been playing AFL for a couple of years, but Craig McRea (Lions player) was a primary teacher at the school, until he became professional.

Yeah, I don't get AFL either, it is a stupid, stupid sport.

Mister Wright

Slats4ever said:
jsut the same as u're a stupid stupid man Mister W

At least I follow a sport that has rules. I've always thought it ironic that AFL is tagged 'Aussie Rules' because it doesn't have any.

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:

It's weird; nearly ten years after Union went open it's still the "posh" code. I went to a comprehensive (state) school, but in the south of England League doesn't get a look in so I played Union.

I went to uni in Hull (big League stronghold oop north), where I played Union & was referred to as a "rah-rah" by League players. Apparently that's the noise Union fans make when they cheer! :D
I'll put my neck on the line and say it's the most rah rah major sport going.. Obviously the super rich go and play polo or hopscotch or whatever they do, but at private school it is the one and only sport to play.. Cricket plays second fiddle, and Football may as well not exist at all at private school... In fact it doesnt...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
I'll put my neck on the line and say it's the most rah rah major sport going.. Obviously the super rich go and play polo or hopscotch or whatever they do, but at private school it is the one and only sport to play.. Cricket plays second fiddle, and Football may as well not exist at all at private school... In fact it doesnt...
I think you're probably right, by and large. Twickers's carpark is always v home-counties for internationals with green wellies, burberry, hip flasks & loud RP accents v much the norm (as an aside I've only managed to procure tickets for the Canada match, which is annoying, but probably the one game we might actually win this autumn!).

I guess as a South African who goes to public school you're pretty solidly Union? :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
I guess as a South African who goes to public school you're pretty solidly Union? :D
Ek is nie Suid Afrikaanse bru...... My woenings war van Pretoria vanaf leerskoel...

(thats rubbish Afrikaans for I'm not South African mate, but I used to live in Pretoria after I went to Primary School (and a bit after that as well))
I dont really follow rugby much, but I used to play Union because I had to in England.. I actually quite liked it, but I got injured which put me out of cricket for a bit and that basically ended it for me.. Not losing any cricket time playing that rubbish...

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Union, as it is the lesser of 2 evils.
No, it is the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See the light!! Come to league

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Langeveldt said:
Ek is nie Suid Afrikaanse bru...... My woenings war van Pretoria vanaf leerskoel...

(thats rubbish Afrikaans for I'm not South African mate, but I used to live in Pretoria after I went to Primary School (and a bit after that as well))
I dont really follow rugby much, but I used to play Union because I had to in England.. I actually quite liked it, but I got injured which put me out of cricket for a bit and that basically ended it for me.. Not losing any cricket time playing that rubbish...
Sorry! Presumption is the curse of mankind, as someone once said!

I was under the impression SA was "your" team, so assumed you were from there originally!

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
Sorry! Presumption is the curse of mankind, as someone once said!

I was under the impression SA was "your" team, so assumed you were from there originally!
No worries.. I was addicted to cricket after watching Allan Donald, Hansie Cronje and Jonty Rhodes.. Thats the only reason they are my team really, because I thought cricket was a boring sport before I saw the greatest fast bowler of my time unleash merry hell everywhere in 1998... So to support his team was the natural progression..

Craig

World Traveller
Sorry if this sounds like a rant or not, but this is one thing that I hate about Union:

Personally I think they should scrap the number points for a drop ggoal from 3 to 1 and penalty goals from 3 to 2. Too many times, and often England when I see them, if they get a penalty, they go for the easy option of giving the ball to Jonny and here kick a goal for use, it is becoming predicatable and boring. What is so wrong with kicking the ball into the corner, have a line-out and go for a try and play with some flair and enteretainment.

Personally I don't think it is that good to see Jonny Wilkinson kicking three drop goals in a game.

bryce

International Regular
i agree about lowering the number of points for a drop goal but i think that 3 points for a penalty is fair enough because everyone knows the rules and more often than not the player chooses to break them, otherwise everyone will just be going for tries all the time and it will make rugby look like a mess.