• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Impressions

V Reddy

International Debutant
It could be better if you could add the schedule of the matches to be played too. Few questions i need to be cleared

1. One is allowed to make one change to the side every two weeks ? If yes then doesn't it make it a lot harder b'coz i have to think of a series 4 months before to get the team correct for that series with only 1 change allowed every 2 weeks

2. The competition starts with NZ Vs Pak match on Jan 3 ?

Rich2001

International Captain
James said:
You can see the schedule of matches here - http://www.cricketweb.net/fantasycricket/matches.php

It's one change every 7 days. Where did you read 1 change every 14 days?

Certainly does :)
We changed that transfer in the last week as we also become well aware of that problem, so it is now 1 change ever 7 days - I e-mailed James all the text changes about 2 hours back - He now has about 7 e-mails of updates to do, so you should notice it as soon as James gets time to update it for me.

As James said the matches for that competition is shown at the link given and yes the first comp starts on January the 3rd, we opened this early so everyone could get teams in before points start getting updated.

Also not on the site yet but will be very soon is this bit I have added, most are aware of this but some may not be..we orignally were going to make it a year long comp with monthly winners but decided against it as late commers would be at a huge disadvantage and would probley get bored so it's now split into 3 month slots, after 3 months a winner is found, points reset and start again for another 3 months. So hopfully will keep you all intrested along with all the other comps to be add alongside the main one too.

Put in simple terms here is the above written slighty better :)

Scoring Periods for Cricket Web's Fantasy Cricket are dependent on what competition you decided to enter.

The T&N Trophy Challenge is Cricket Web's main competition and as a result will involve all One Day Cricket played over a three-month period. After the three months whoever is leading the standings will be declared the winner for that period. We will then reset the standings and the next scoring period starts (this will involve entering a new team BUT not having to sign up all over again), this allows new users to join and be part of the action rather than join six months down the line and never stand a real chance of making any major climb in the standings.

Other competitions at this stage are impossible to say, so as and when any new competition are added you will all be informed of the details well in advance of the start date.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Well, I think it's good, but I have a slight suggestion for the points scoring system.

For example, during the next three months, the teams have the following number of matches:

Aus 13
NZ 12
SA 10
Ind 8
Zim 8
Pak 6
SL 5
WI 4
Eng 0

(Bangladesh and Kenya discounted because nobody would pick their players anyway)

Therefore, it would be idiotic to pick English, West Indian and Sri Lankan players, because they won't have the same chance to score points as all others as they will play fewer games (case in point, me, who have 2 English players and 2 Lankan players).

Either increase the value of players who are likely to play a lot of games, or average the points scored over each game played, or have longer seasons.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well, I think it's good, but I have a slight suggestion for the points scoring system.

For example, during the next three months, the teams have the following number of matches:

Aus 13
NZ 12
SA 10
Ind 8
Zim 8
Pak 6
SL 5
WI 4
Eng 0

(Bangladesh and Kenya discounted because nobody would pick their players anyway)

Therefore, it would be idiotic to pick English, West Indian and Sri Lankan players, because they won't have the same chance to score points as all others as they will play fewer games (case in point, me, who have 2 English players and 2 Lankan players).

Either increase the value of players who are likely to play a lot of games, or average the points scored over each game played, or have longer seasons.
*hangs head in shame at realisation that he has picked a west indian, a pom and a bangladeshi.*

Rich2001

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:

Aus 13
NZ 12
SA 10
Ind 8
Zim 8
Pak 6
SL 5
WI 4
Eng 0

Lenght first... I was with you on this one, I had the comp set to a year with whoever was top etc after each month being declared manager of the month type of thing... but in the end it was just going to be pointless for new people to join.

If say on the 21st Aug 2004 you stumbled across Cricket Web and thought oh that Fantasy Cricket looks like fun i'll join that... only to see the top 10 players have 25,000 points and the closest to 0 is already on about 350. What do you have to gain? you wouldn't climb many places and all you would be doing is battling yourself and if you did join how long would you hang around or spending time sorting your team transfers out etc.

With 3 months stints your always going to be in the game so to speak and even if you join up after 2 months you know the points will be reset and can mount a challange next month.

As for matches that a team plays what we can do is at the end of the 3 months stint you could add a new team for the next 3 months - Therefore always being able to pick players that might be playing, or we could just clear the points out and let you carry that team on, remember transfers are one a week, so in 3 months you could change about 10-12 players, techincally you could re-build your whole side in that time ready for the next period of play. And as players finish a series ie NZ v PAk will be over first you can start replacing those player.

Either way it wouldn't be a problem to implement either so if you all shout now for what you perfer.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rich2001 said:
Lenght first... I was with you on this one, I had the comp set to a year with whoever was top etc after each month being declared manager of the month type of thing... but in the end it was just going to be pointless for new people to join.

If say on the 21st Aug 2004 you stumbled across Cricket Web and thought oh that Fantasy Cricket looks like fun i'll join that... only to see the top 10 players have 25,000 points and the closest to 0 is already on about 350. What do you have to gain? you wouldn't climb many places and all you would be doing is battling yourself and if you did join how long would you hang around or spending time sorting your team transfers out etc.

With 3 months stints your always going to be in the game so to speak and even if you join up after 2 months you know the points will be reset and can mount a challange next month.

As for matches that a team plays what we can do is at the end of the 3 months stint you could add a new team for the next 3 months - Therefore always being able to pick players that might be playing, or we could just clear the points out and let you carry that team on, remember transfers are one a week, so in 3 months you could change about 10-12 players, techincally you could re-build your whole side in that time ready for the next period of play. And as players finish a series ie NZ v PAk will be over first you can start replacing those player.

Either way it wouldn't be a problem to implement either so if you all shout now for what you perfer.
How about the average idea? That way, players who play only 4 games count as much as those who play 13, and managers. Of course, players who do really well in one game then get dropped will score a lot of points, but realistically, who's gonna do that?

Rich2001

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
How about the average idea? That way, players who play only 4 games count as much as those who play 13, and managers. Of course, players who do really well in one game then get dropped will score a lot of points, but realistically, who's gonna do that?
It's not a bad idea but one of our aims was to make the game quite basic and stright forward so that anyone could play... averaging would get confusing as to who was a good pick and who wasn't etc, and also it would require a fair bit of re-coding to the database... And then there's the problem of the 25 odd managers who have already signed up at a disadvantage because of the rules change.

With either of the ideas I suggested you could just select players that are likly to play or, you will have plenty of oppotunity to make transfers to get those that will play into your set up.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Rich2001 said:
It's not a bad idea but one of our aims was to make the game quite basic and stright forward so that anyone could play... averaging would get confusing as to who was a good pick and who wasn't etc, and also it would require a fair bit of re-coding to the database... And then there's the problem of the 25 odd managers who have already signed up at a disadvantage because of the rules change.

With either of the ideas I suggested you could just select players that are likly to play or, you will have plenty of oppotunity to make transfers to get those that will play into your set up.
Ah ok then.

*makes note of throwing English players out for NZ ones at first juncture*

Rich2001

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Ah ok then.

*makes note of throwing English players out for NZ ones at first juncture*
Hehe, one advantage of opening this to the public early is we have time to make 1 change before the game even starts and one on the day of the first match if your quick ;)

Rich2001

International Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
Im sure Bashar would have served me well!:)
Don't worry you aren't the first and def wont be the last to make a doggy decision, Iam aware of a few people who have picked Harby Singh after being ruled out for 5 months a few days back.

Even I made a muck up by picking someone I don't think will actually play the ODI's although he is performing well in the Test series, a bargin if he does though :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
Good to see people starting to get into Fantasy Cricket! I was stupid myself in picking all NZ/Pak players. Forgot about the VB series :(

James

Cricket Web Owner
Rich2001 said:
And South Africa v West Indies by the looks of things - Lets not even mention NZ vs SA or Aus v SL then :saint: :D
Cheers mate. I can always count on you for support :rolleyes: :lol:

I'll blame it on you though Rich for always sending me too many emails and making me do 10 things at once :lol:

Rich2001

International Captain
James said:
Cheers mate. I can always count on you for support :rolleyes: :lol:

I'll blame it on you though Rich for always sending me too many emails and making me do 10 things at once :lol:
Haha pass the buck!

You know deep down you like me really :P :lol: - NZ actually have about 10 ODI's so you wont do to badly :)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Rich2001 said:
Haha pass the buck!

You know deep down you like me really :P :lol: - NZ actually have about 10 ODI's so you wont do to badly :)
After all the work you've done how could I not. Damn - I can't hide the truth :( :lol:

With Mr. Ponting having picked a Bangladesh, England and a West Indian player at least I won't finish last :saint: