• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Round of 16 thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hopefully he's asked just what the **** his thinking was on Rooney.

His substitutions were shocking all tournament as well.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Hopefully he's asked just what the **** his thinking was on Rooney.

His substitutions were shocking all tournament as well.
His substitutions worked very well in the Wales game, tbh, I thought that was what made the difference.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They did, but given his other subs throughout the competition, they rather look like a fortunate roll of the dice in hindsight.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Great press conference. Roy kept on saying he didn't know why he was there. It appears as though he believes that now he's not manager he's not answerable for the terrible tactics and general all around stupidity. The bloke with him is one of three who will be picking the next manager and he kept on saying "I'm not a football expert". Fantastic. Apparently he's a "process expert". So is the bloke who invented mushy peas.

Redbacks

International Captain
Unless the FA do a root and branch review of the development of juniors then the next manager(s) will continue to have the same technically limited players to choose from and England will struggle to reach the levels they aim for. Or the playing style has to change and accept that 10 men behind the ball and nicking goals is going to be a more effective tactic at major tournaments.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything I'd say that specific instance wasn't much of a roll of the dice. It was the obvious move, I think most of us were calling out for it at the time.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If anything I'd say that specific instance wasn't much of a roll of the dice. It was the obvious move, I think most of us were calling out for it at the time.
Yeah, I'm not saying it was necessarily a total fluke. It's just that the rest of his subs throughout the tournament appeared to be totally haphazard and borderline random. From this we might infer that the time he got it "right" against Wales might just have been an instance of blind luck, rather than the result of a more rigorously thought out plan, even if it was the obvious choice to everyone else.