Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Bad teams at international tournaments

France 1992.

Came into the tournament on an enormous unbeaten streak and absolutely bombed.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

England in 1988.

Same as France in 1992.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    England in 2010 worth a shout imo. Performed worse than the 2014 lot if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    England in 2010 worth a shout imo. Performed worse than the 2014 lot if you ask me
    Good call actually.

That draw is against Algeria is probably the most angry I've ever been about a team I supported. I've lived through some **** so that says a lot.

I was pretty intoxicated but on my way home rang anyone who'd answer to tell them what I thought of Capello

That draw is against Algeria is probably the most angry I've ever been about a team I supported. I've lived through some **** so that says a lot.

I was pretty intoxicated but on my way home rang anyone who'd answer to tell them what I thought of Capello
    I was trying, unsuccessfully, to remember the 2nd group game. I managed to remember the 1-1 draw with USA and the 1-0 win against, I think, Slovenia. And obviously the loss to Germany in the last 16. But the Algeria game had totally slipped my mind, thankfully.

I'm normally one to cling to bad decisions etc. In the immediate aftermath of the Germany game I certainly did. Lampard's goal stands and its 2-2 and anyone's game. Cold hard reflection tells me it probably would have finished 6-2 to Germany.
    Samuel_Vimes likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    I'm normally one to cling to bad decisions etc. In the immediate aftermath of the Germany game I certainly did. Lampard's goal stands and its 2-2 and anyone's game. Cold hard reflection tells me it probably would have finished 6-2 to Germany.
    I seem to remember I was trolling England and you quite hard during this World Cup

Probably not my finest moment but that England team deserved it
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    I seem to remember I was trolling England and you quite hard during this World Cup

Probably not my finest moment but that England team deserved it
    I think we talked on Facebook a few months later and agreed it was nobody's finest hour

I've mellowed in my older age anyway. Though it would have been tested had anyone tried it the night the mighty whites dropped out of the league

What really frustrates me about 2010 is this.

The 'golden generation' maybe didn't deliver, but hey under Sven they made the quarters three tournaments in a row, and injuries blighted each one.

Under Roy, in 2012 the quarters was as good as we could hope with the players and turmoil at the time, and in 2014 though it was grim, at least we lost to a better side (Italy) and a magic player (Suarez).

In 2010, okay it was a good Germany side that put us to the sword but we just didn't turn up. It was nondescript and all this after an impressive qualifying campaign.

Honestly, it all went wrong when he put his name to the capello index

2010 was hilarious.

ITV pundits all confidently predicting an England win pre-game because man for man, not a single German player would get into England's XI.

Whoops.
    Redbacks likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Haha did they really do this? I don't remember the punditry for that match at all, but surely Germany had been put down as strong favourites for that match by nearly everyone. They were already self-evidently really quite good, and I can remember tuning in to that match fully expecting to see England get beat.

Samuel_Vimes likes this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha did they really do this? I don't remember the punditry for that match at all, but surely Germany had been put down as strong favourites for that match by nearly everyone. They were already self-evidently really quite good, and I can remember tuning in to that match fully expecting to see England get beat.
    My hazy memory of it is this was the match that everyone (in the pundit/Helen Keller universe anyway) finally realised that this Germany team were actually rather good, and not some passed it/too young blend of nothingness.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Request Your Custom Title Now! Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    The CW posting was also entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by some stupid dweeb who has never seen a game of football

Neuer >> James

Lahm >>> Johnson (basically the same going forward, one of them not a positional liability at the back)
    Friedrich = Carragher (neither World Cup winning calibre)
    Mertesacker < Terry
    Jansen/Badstuber << Cole (either a left winger or a central defender...ugh)

Schweinsteiger < Lampard
    Khedira < Barry (not much in these, given them on basis of international experience)

Özil < Gerrard (experience again)
    Müller > Milner (neither particularly proven, Müller has some good CL games under his belt though)

Klose < Rooney (even a half-fit Rooney is better than Klose)
    Podolski = Defoe (Morton's fork)

So pretty close. Six English better to four Germans I suppose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information