• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad teams at international tournaments

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That draw is against Algeria is probably the most angry I've ever been about a team I supported. I've lived through some **** so that says a lot.

I was pretty intoxicated but on my way home rang anyone who'd answer to tell them what I thought of Capello
I was trying, unsuccessfully, to remember the 2nd group game. I managed to remember the 1-1 draw with USA and the 1-0 win against, I think, Slovenia. And obviously the loss to Germany in the last 16. But the Algeria game had totally slipped my mind, thankfully.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm normally one to cling to bad decisions etc. In the immediate aftermath of the Germany game I certainly did. Lampard's goal stands and its 2-2 and anyone's game. Cold hard reflection tells me it probably would have finished 6-2 to Germany.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm normally one to cling to bad decisions etc. In the immediate aftermath of the Germany game I certainly did. Lampard's goal stands and its 2-2 and anyone's game. Cold hard reflection tells me it probably would have finished 6-2 to Germany.
I seem to remember I was trolling England and you quite hard during this World Cup

Probably not my finest moment but that England team deserved it

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I seem to remember I was trolling England and you quite hard during this World Cup

Probably not my finest moment but that England team deserved it
I think we talked on Facebook a few months later and agreed it was nobody's finest hour

I've mellowed in my older age anyway. Though it would have been tested had anyone tried it the night the mighty whites dropped out of the league

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What really frustrates me about 2010 is this.

The 'golden generation' maybe didn't deliver, but hey under Sven they made the quarters three tournaments in a row, and injuries blighted each one.

Under Roy, in 2012 the quarters was as good as we could hope with the players and turmoil at the time, and in 2014 though it was grim, at least we lost to a better side (Italy) and a magic player (Suarez).

In 2010, okay it was a good Germany side that put us to the sword but we just didn't turn up. It was nondescript and all this after an impressive qualifying campaign.

Honestly, it all went wrong when he put his name to the capello index

Furball

Evil Scotsman
2010 was hilarious.

ITV pundits all confidently predicting an England win pre-game because man for man, not a single German player would get into England's XI.

Whoops.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha did they really do this? I don't remember the punditry for that match at all, but surely Germany had been put down as strong favourites for that match by nearly everyone. They were already self-evidently really quite good, and I can remember tuning in to that match fully expecting to see England get beat.

cpr

International Coach
Haha did they really do this? I don't remember the punditry for that match at all, but surely Germany had been put down as strong favourites for that match by nearly everyone. They were already self-evidently really quite good, and I can remember tuning in to that match fully expecting to see England get beat.
My hazy memory of it is this was the match that everyone (in the pundit/Helen Keller universe anyway) finally realised that this Germany team were actually rather good, and not some passed it/too young blend of nothingness.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The CW posting was also entertaining

some stupid dweeb who has never seen a game of football said:
Neuer >> James

Lahm >>> Johnson (basically the same going forward, one of them not a positional liability at the back)
Friedrich = Carragher (neither World Cup winning calibre)
Mertesacker < Terry
Jansen/Badstuber << Cole (either a left winger or a central defender...ugh)

Schweinsteiger < Lampard
Khedira < Barry (not much in these, given them on basis of international experience)

Özil < Gerrard (experience again)
Müller > Milner (neither particularly proven, Müller has some good CL games under his belt though)

Klose < Rooney (even a half-fit Rooney is better than Klose)
Podolski = Defoe (Morton's fork)

So pretty close. Six English better to four Germans I suppose.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think a lot of it was based on the logic of 'I've never heard of these players so they must be crap.'

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The CW posting was also entertaining
Haha went back and checked the knockout thread. My pre-game post was spot on:

This part is complete rubbish IMO. A few pundits have come out with similar guff in the past few days, and it can only be based on the fact that the Bundesliga is relatively low profile in the UK.

England are a team choc full of average players, with a sprinkling of top talent which has made a career out of underperforming internationally. Germany on the other hand have a side who have reached the semis of the last World Cup and the final of the last European Championships, which is a far more proven recent tournament pedigree. They've also got 4 of the side which won the U21 European Championship - so this side know how to win things.

(the "bolded part" referred to was Brumby suggesting England were better than Germany man for man.)

Redbacks

International Captain
I think it is ingrained in the English psyche to underestimate Germany regardless of the situation.

Also comparing teams man for man works 'ok' in a 5 match test series but is pretty useless in football as only the midfield really go head to head. Having a better keeper, wingers and back four than Argentina doesn't mean much for example.