• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Wales thread -- as proudly promoted by Grecian

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair shout, thanks for that. I'm an academic at present, and am (still, after many years of slog) working on my doctoral thesis. I've always had an interest in Japan, and have some basic proficiency in the language after taking some courses during my degree. I strongly considered looking for a job over there at one point, but I imagine that ship has probably sailed for me now. Just thought I would tentatively attempt to explore how, if at all, that window might be re-opened one day if I ever felt the urge.
If you want to work for a short time after your PhD, you could try for a JSPS funded postdoc. Not sure how hard it would be to get if your field is law though.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Let's just hope it doesn't happen
Genuinely interested to know how serious that is -- would you really be happier if there wasn't a British team left in the competition?

The last couple of weeks, with Brexit and everything, and the longer-term issues like Scottish independence and stuff, this honing of loyalties and narrowing of sympathies that's going on, it raises questions about identity. And it seems people like me get accused of not being "British" enough because we think more about Wales or Scotland or whatever, but aren't you also being not "British" too?

Or is it just internet banter? Genuine question.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the easiest way for me to explain this is to relate back to club football.

I'm proud of being from Merseyside (yeah you ****s can keep), feel a lot of local identity pride and definitely relate to the area more than Cheshire, despite Wirral being historically part of the old county.

When Liverpool came close to winning the Prem and Everton pushed a CL place hard in the same season I wasn't thinking 'oh this will be such a boost for Merseyside.' I was thinking, the worst season for TRFC in my life and to boot I'll hear about this 'magnificent' season for years to come. 'What a fantastic season for Merseyside' the commentators said ad nauseam.

Now I realise there's a big club/small club dynamic at play that is the inverse of the England/Wales thing, but with England floundering I'm not considering a boost for Britain, for me sports goes beyond that identity and I back my team. Rivals doing well doesn't sit well with me, for completely selfish and irrational reasons that wouldn't fly in any other walk of life but sports.

I don't feel this makes me any less British. If we played as GB, I'd be swinging on Bale's nuts. But we don't, so I support England and could not stomach you lot walking off with the trophy after seeing the square root of **** all success in my life.

Plus Tranmere's main rivals are bloody Wrexham and I'll be damned if I'm stomaching that lot come up the A55 full of we are the champions of Europe bravado

Nah, sorry mate. Portugal it is. Nothing personal but that's how I roll.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I feel like the Wrexham thing is doing a lot of work there. Most English fans I know seem to mildly prefer Wales to Portugal purely because they're an infinitely more likeable team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I feel like the Wrexham thing is doing a lot of work there. Most English fans I know seem to mildly prefer Wales to Portugal purely because they're an infinitely more likeable team.
Maybe, or possibly some cause and effect. Wrexham are our rivals because of proximity. The proximity makes things more unbearable for me than, say, someone in Birmingham or whatever.

Pothas

I am with GIMH all the way and I certainly can't blame Wrexham. I just don't want Wales to do well at sport.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Got a rugby-following colleague who was frightfully relieved when England beat Wales, and is now somewhat uncomfortably trying to shift to the Wales bandwagon.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think I feel as strongly about it as some, but certainly my desire to see Wales not do well is stronger than my desire to see them do well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm one of the English Uppers refers to.

I was rooting for the Phelgms, but Portugal have both Pepe and the Chav king himself; pound for pound Wales less objectionable.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully Wales can finally stamp out the ****roach that are Portugal.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Plus Tranmere's main rivals are bloody Wrexham and I'll be damned if I'm stomaching that lot come up the A55 full of we are the champions of Europe bravado

Nah, sorry mate. Portugal it is. Nothing personal but that's how I roll.
Yeah, no problem GIMH -- or can I call you Geraint, seeing as it's the Wales thread and all?

The club rivalry thing makes perfect sense -- in some ways I think I'm more happy that Cardiff are not in the Premier League than that Swansea are, and I'd be mortified if Cardiff were to ever win it.

So it makes sense on that level, but it's still kinda disappointing. Because although we are Welsh, we are also British, and it would be nice to think the rest of the British would be happy for us to have our day in the sun.

Scaly piscine

I know Wales is full of objectionable idiot fans just as England. So I'd still prefer them to win over anyone else. Portugal are the team I'd least like to win.

I think we're all waiting for Ronaldo to cry his eyes out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm one of the English Uppers refers to.

I was rooting for the Phelgms, but Portugal have both Pepe and the Chav king himself; pound for pound Wales less objectionable.
Talking of whom, am I the only one who's been mildly surprised by Pepe at the euros? Having seen him arrive as Public Enemy Number 1 following his antics in the CL final, I honestly don't remember anything objectionable from him over the last few weeks. Just excellent defending, tbh.