Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The Wales thread -- as proudly promoted by Grecian

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Nick, tell me how I can get a job in Japan.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nick-o View Post
    Tomorrow's match is probably something none of the rest of you have ever experienced in the sense that, win or lose, it is the single biggest football match of my life.
    What makes you say that?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Haha yeah, I experienced exactly that just 2 months ago.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Nick, tell me how I can get a job in Japan.
    I watched the Wales-England match in a sports bar down by the station, somewhere I'd never been before. There were about five other groups of people there, all Japanese. When the barman took my order, he asked where I was from, and then went about his business, chatting with the other punters. When Wales scored the first goal, everyone in the bar was on their feet cheering and high-fiving. That kind of sums up what it's like to live in Japan -- there is no way everyone else went to that bar to support Wales over England, but once they knew that I did, they were all cheering along with me.

So, yeah, come and live in Japan, by all means. As to how: I get the impression you are not -- are are no longer -- a footloose hipster who can just turn up and teach, which is the simple way and certainly worked for me first time round, long before you were born. Have you thought of doing a PhD or something -- lots of universities here are open to overseas PhD students. If you've already embarked on a profession it's harder; most of the big law firms have some sort of presence here, I think. I work in publishing for an NGO, but I guess that depends a lot on language skills as well. I think there are other people on CW who probably have more recent experience of looking for work here than me, though.

What makes you say that?
    I think I meant not only the biggest there has ever been but also the biggest there ever will be. I'm really not convinced that even getting into the Final here would be bigger than playing England in the finals of a major tournament.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick-o View Post
    I watched the Wales-England match in a sports bar down by the station, somewhere I'd never been before. There were about five other groups of people there, all Japanese. When the barman took my order, he asked where I was from, and then went about his business, chatting with the other punters. When Wales scored the first goal, everyone in the bar was on their feet cheering and high-fiving. That kind of sums up what it's like to live in Japan -- there is no way everyone else went to that bar to support Wales over England, but once they knew that I did, they were all cheering along with me.

So, yeah, come and live in Japan, by all means. As to how: I get the impression you are not -- are are no longer -- a footloose hipster who can just turn up and teach, which is the simple way and certainly worked for me first time round, long before you were born. Have you thought of doing a PhD or something -- lots of universities here are open to overseas PhD students. If you've already embarked on a profession it's harder; most of the big law firms have some sort of presence here, I think. I work in publishing for an NGO, but I guess that depends a lot on language skills as well. I think there are other people on CW who probably have more recent experience of looking for work here than me, though.
    Fair shout, thanks for that. I'm an academic at present, and am (still, after many years of slog) working on my doctoral thesis. I've always had an interest in Japan, and have some basic proficiency in the language after taking some courses during my degree. I strongly considered looking for a job over there at one point, but I imagine that ship has probably sailed for me now. Just thought I would tentatively attempt to explore how, if at all, that window might be re-opened one day if I ever felt the urge.

Wales could really make the semis the way the draw is opening up.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Let's just hope it doesn't happen

Turkey to deal with them.

Ramsey will score at least two if they play Turkey.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Fair shout, thanks for that. I'm an academic at present, and am (still, after many years of slog) working on my doctoral thesis. I've always had an interest in Japan, and have some basic proficiency in the language after taking some courses during my degree. I strongly considered looking for a job over there at one point, but I imagine that ship has probably sailed for me now. Just thought I would tentatively attempt to explore how, if at all, that window might be re-opened one day if I ever felt the urge.
    If you want to work for a short time after your PhD, you could try for a JSPS funded postdoc. Not sure how hard it would be to get if your field is law though.

Probably not especially easy, but worth keeping in mind for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Turkey to deal with them.
    Nah. Turkey are dire.

Let's just hope it doesn't happen
    Genuinely interested to know how serious that is -- would you really be happier if there wasn't a British team left in the competition?

The last couple of weeks, with Brexit and everything, and the longer-term issues like Scottish independence and stuff, this honing of loyalties and narrowing of sympathies that's going on, it raises questions about identity. And it seems people like me get accused of not being "British" enough because we think more about Wales or Scotland or whatever, but aren't you also being not "British" too?

Or is it just internet banter? Genuine question.

I think the easiest way for me to explain this is to relate back to club football.

I'm proud of being from Merseyside (yeah you ****s can keep), feel a lot of local identity pride and definitely relate to the area more than Cheshire, despite Wirral being historically part of the old county.

When Liverpool came close to winning the Prem and Everton pushed a CL place hard in the same season I wasn't thinking 'oh this will be such a boost for Merseyside.' I was thinking, the worst season for TRFC in my life and to boot I'll hear about this 'magnificent' season for years to come. 'What a fantastic season for Merseyside' the commentators said ad nauseam.

Now I realise there's a big club/small club dynamic at play that is the inverse of the England/Wales thing, but with England floundering I'm not considering a boost for Britain, for me sports goes beyond that identity and I back my team. Rivals doing well doesn't sit well with me, for completely selfish and irrational reasons that wouldn't fly in any other walk of life but sports.

I don't feel this makes me any less British. If we played as GB, I'd be swinging on Bale's nuts. But we don't, so I support England and could not stomach you lot walking off with the trophy after seeing the square root of **** all success in my life.

Plus Tranmere's main rivals are bloody Wrexham and I'll be damned if I'm stomaching that lot come up the A55 full of we are the champions of Europe bravado

Nah, sorry mate. Portugal it is. Nothing personal but that's how I roll.
    nick-o likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information