• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016 pub

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Couldn't think of a better title.

Place for those random thoughts/questions that don't fit in another thread and aren't worth their own.

I did a quick google on this but cbf to dig deeper.

When I was but a lad squads were 22 man things. I once read a letter on the ceefax sports pages ('twas how my generation passed time after school before the Internet) and some geezer questioned why teams were only picking 22 players when there was a rule that you could pick 23 provided there were three keepers.

No idea if it was true at the time, but at some point (I believe it was the 02 World Cup) everyone started picking 23. So whether it was a rule change or they all read the same ceefax letter I did, so it was to be.

So after my rather long and unnecessary preamble, my question is this. The rules state you can have 23 but three must be keepers. Does this mean, in an injury crisis, England wouldn't be allowed to play Fraser Forster up front?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
God damn scaly I thought a man of your knowledge would have an answer to my question

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think North Korea took a striker that was also a keeper, or something like that, to the 2010 World Cup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pre-dates this rule but there was Jorge Campos for Mexico in 94.

And also, don't NI have a keeper who became a striker, or possibly the other way round?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Russia game coincides with our daughter's christening followed by our housewarming party so will be watching with guests (those not interested can sit in the conservatory or the garden).
Wales game is a day before our anniversary so I've booked it off as part of a "long weekend to celebrate", it's just coincidence that we won't be doing much on the Thursday.
Slovakia game am away with work so won't get any earache for watching it.

So in answer to your question, no.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, where is the beer GIMH?

My earliest memory is Bierroff scoring that golden goal.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone got exciting plans for the games?
I'm going to Ukraine-Poland. It's the last game in Norn Iron's group, they're playing Germany at the same time, so hopefully I'll have something to cheer for.

Going to Portugal-Hungary the next day too. Hopefully see something special from Lewa or Ronaldo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One for Uppers: if the Republic plays the Six Counties who would you barrack for?

Apologies if you've previously answered this.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One for Uppers: if the Republic plays the Six Counties who would you barrack for?

Apologies if you've previously answered this.
Good question- I don't really know. I cheer harder for the Republic when they're playing anyone else, but the thought of cheering against the North feels somehow more wrong than the alternative. I guess I wouldn't really mind who won as long as there were no petrol bombs thrown.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have almost zero enthusiasm for this tournament. Will probably be different once it starts but I'm just sick fed up if Scotland constantly not qualifying. At least in the past we could console ourselves with the lack of qualifying places but you have to be seriously **** to not make a 24 team Euros.

The fact that Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic have made it just makes it harder, it's like finding out how unpopular you are because your mates all scored an invite to a party and you didn't.

Scaly piscine

I have almost zero enthusiasm for this tournament. Will probably be different once it starts but I'm just sick fed up if Scotland constantly not qualifying. At least in the past we could console ourselves with the lack of qualifying places but you have to be seriously **** to not make a 24 team Euros.

The fact that Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic have made it just makes it harder, it's like finding out how unpopular you are because your mates all scored an invite to a party and you didn't.
To be fair Scotland have gotten less humilating. Remember the World Cup qualification where they were the first European team eliminated? Before Faroe Islands, San Marino, Luxembourg etc.

grecian

Is this no real change from how you normally watch games, or no real change from how you are day to day?
I'ds like to say both, but I do work some nights so I can't really drink every day, but lets just say weekends.