• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Spain, Czech Republic, Turkey, Croatia

Which teams will qualify from this pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah seems like it might be coming together for Croatia, with good passers in the middle, good crossers out wide and a big man up front. Modric was so so good second half, playing for a team I hate had made me forget how much fun he is to watch.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the last 10 minutes I've been watching this on ITV+1, so I couldn't understand why there seemed to be a goal reported.

vcs

Typical Spain really.. how does del Bosque manage to take players like Iniesta, Silva, Thiago, Busquets, Pique etc. and make them play utterly uninspiring, Van Gaal-type football? And somehow grind out a result in the end..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, that was more or less what I anticipated it being. Pretty much a textbook Spain vs inferior but not terrible opposition game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Typical Spain really.. how does del Bosque manage to take players like Iniesta, Silva, Thiago, Busquets, Pique etc. and make them play utterly uninspiring, Van Gaal-type football? And somehow grind out a result in the end..
Bit harsh.

Edit: Harsh on Spain anyway. One assumes you're not paying Van Gaal/Man Utd a compliment here.

vcs

Definitely not.. Man Utd. played some of the worst football I've ever seen last year.. Spain have been similarly boring for a while but they've always had a very talented midfield.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Indeed. But given they were playing against a team which had most of their men behind the ball for most of the match I thought they played perfectly ok though. Not reminiscent of Man Utd plodding in the slightest in my view.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, kinda how Spain win most of their games against good opponents because, unlike Barca or Real, they don't have have Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez like figures up front.

flibbertyjibber

Considering Spain spent the game camped in the Czech Republic half Cech had very few actual saves to make. Deserved result in the end though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Considering Spain spent the game camped in the Czech Republic half Cech had very few actual saves to make. Deserved result in the end though.
A lot of that was probably down to good defending/Spain trying to walk it in/Morata being pretty unconvincing tbf. Cech not making many saves can't really be interpreted as Spain not playing especially well on the whole imo.

flibbertyjibber

A lot of that was probably down to good defending/Spain trying to walk it in/Morata being pretty unconvincing tbf. Cech not making many saves can't really be interpreted as Spain not playing especially well on the whole imo.
I mean the fact they hardly had a shot. Worrying going forward if they aren't actually creating anything despite so much possession. The defending was well organised but you would expect a few more shots on target given they had all the play.