• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - England, Russia, Wales, Slovakia

Which teams will qualify from this pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
We just stopped playing after we scored. Really if you analyse that whole second half performance it was more typical of tournament England, our forward players showing no movement or vision and barely making chances as a result. I mean Russia were pretty terrible.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Absolute ****ebag football in the last 10 mins, baffling substitution and stopped doing everything good they'd been doing and resorted to punting it long and defending their box.

Niall

International Coach
****ing hell

Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 2m2 minutes ago
Not sure if they showed all that on TV - but England fans literally fleeing at the final whistle because of Russians storming their end.
103 retweets 9 likes

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I feel like as well as the first 45 went there isn't enough goals in that front 6. Needs tweaking.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You'd have to say after today that Russia are the worst team in the group, but looking at their players I'm realising that shouldn't surprise me. Wales and Slovakia have a sprinkling of quality at least. Russia literally have nobody good.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd have to say after today that Russia are the worst team in the group, but looking at their players I'm realising that shouldn't surprise me. Wales and Slovakia have a sprinkling of quality at least. Russia literally have nobody good.
Probably yeah, I know what Furball is saying about the last 10 minutes but they never looked like scoring. Having said that I would not say with confidence that Slovakia or Wales will beat them.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm prepared to believe if we play like that against Wales and Slovakia then we'll go through, but gutted not to win it.

Sterling's a real problem. His presence on the left gives us pace and shape, but his final product is appalling. Can't cross, can't shoot and generally prefers to give the ball away with sloppy passing when we get near their goal. Really missing Welbeck, actually.

cpr

International Coach
Hodgson has a lot to answer for. Clearly has no idea how to utilise his bench.
Truth is, I don't think the substitutions were bad, Sterling was awful, and Milner offered a defensive winger option with the experience and maturity to see a game out. Wilshire was a fair swap for Rooney, someone who can drop deep in midfield if needed, and run and harass the Russians as required. I'd have swapped a poor Kane out for Vardy to run the Russian defence, but apart from that, I didn't disagree with any of the changes when they were made. The issue was the defence losing focus at the end. Cahill and Smalling should have been using the Russian corner as the time to gee up those around them, remind them to keep focused for the last 2 minutes. Likewise they should have known the ball would be coming back in high to them, and to let Rose get caught in a big v small battle was lazy. The goal was England failing to do basic defending late on, and not really down to Hodgson IMO.

Pothas

It was also the sort of header that the vast majority of the time just loops harmlessly out of play.

Niall

International Coach
Would like to see the England fans blamed for tonight's trouble...
Doubt anyone bar the stupid will, obviously some English fans came to this with bad intentions, but Russian hooligans have been planning for this for ages, today's Ultra attacks were absolutely horrific, and plenty of journalists many left wing pointing out how they have stormed the English fans at the end.

They are absolute scum,and in a perfect world they would have the world cup stripped from them, but not going to happen sadly.

Scaly piscine

Milner is still a ****ing hack. Sterling was fine. Vardy blatantly should have come on with 15+ to go. Instead Roy stripped the team of pace and invited Russia to have a go

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The problem now is how to increase our scoring threat without messing up a system that actually performed really well tonight. Maybe it is as simple as replacing Sterling with Vardy and playing Lallana more on the left. I doubt whether we'd pass the ball as well, but we really can't be so limited in our goal scoring options from open play.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Doubt anyone bar the stupid will, obviously some English fans came to this with bad intentions, but Russian hooligans have been planning for this for ages, today's Ultra attacks were absolutely horrific, and plenty of journalists many left wing pointing out how they have stormed the English fans at the end.

They are absolute scum,and in a perfect world they would have the world cup stripped from them, but not going to happen sadly.
Yeah many reputable sources seem to have called this one as purely Russian-driven violence

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem now is how to increase our scoring threat without messing up a system that actually performed really well tonight. Maybe it is as simple as replacing Sterling with Vardy and playing Lallana more on the left. I doubt whether we'd pass the ball as well, but we really can't be so limited in our goal scoring options from open play.
We looked most dangerous down the right, I think Walker was our best player today, but Lallana isn't really a goal threat and with Kane off his game that is particularly worrisome. I think I would start with the same team in the next game and if the same style of play still isn't leading to goals after an hour, I'd swap Lallana to the left and bring Vardy on for Sterling on the right, pushing the defence right back and allowing Walker to run the full back ragged. Of course Dier's cover from midfield becomes even more vital here.