Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Which teams will qualify from this pool?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • France

5 100.00%
  • Romania

3 60.00%
  • Albania

1 20.00%
  • Switzerland

3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Group A - France, Romania, Albania, Switzerland

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Lol.what!!
    And once the storm is over you won’t remember how you made it through,how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure,in fact,whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won’t be the same person who walked in. Haruki Murakami .

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Payet different class playing on the wing. Been so good in the 2nd half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome..its a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Effing hell, they're going to go all the way with scrappy last minute winners, aren't they?
    Nah. They'll absolutely batter someone when things click in the final third.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Pogba was mostly poor once he came on but that was a proper Hail Mary of a long ball. France are really great to watch once they're desperate or freed up.

Also two complete slips set up that second goal.
    Last edited by MW1304; 15-06-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Pogba was mostly poor once he came on but that was a proper Hail Mary of a long ball. France are really great to watch once they're desperate or freed up.

Also two complete slips set up that second goal.
    What?

Again, don't think he was amazing. Not bad by any means and he definitely should be in the team but not great either.

I don't want it to happen because I put money on him being top goal scorer and I want him to do well but dropping Giroud and playing Griezmann upfront might be the way to go.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    What?
    What are you saying what about? Pogba? I defended him last game but he wasn't great here at all until a few nice passes in the last 5 minutes.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Again, don't think he was amazing. Not bad by any means and he definitely should be in the team but not great either.

I don't want it to happen because I put money on him being top goal scorer and I want him to do well but dropping Giroud and playing Griezmann upfront might be the way to go.
    Yeah, I love him too, but after giving him the benefit of the doubt for so long I'm beginning to have serious reservations about him. Clearly not a "bad" player, but I don't think he's even close to be clinical enough to be a consistently effective player against top opposition. Probably doesn't have the movement either.

Obviously you can't read much into stats, but I'd be interested to see what his chance/conversion ratio is like. Whatever it is I suspect it doesn't look especially good when compared to that of his peers.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    'Good fouls' really ought to be punishable by sin bin.
    Agree, but can't see it happening.

Not sure if it actually is more prominent than before, or that I'm just paying closer attention, but there seems to be much more tactical fouling in this tournament than in previous editions. Seems that teams have certain players designated to "save" their yellow card for professionally fouling counter attacking players. Nothing new, I guess, but not exactly in the spirit of the game.

His conversion is fine. In raw % it's better than Aguero, Kane, Sturridge and Vardy over the last two seasons. https://twitter.com/DanKennett/statu...54143142252548 Same is true of "big chances" as well so it's not just because he doesn't shoot from range or whatever.

I think there's two ways you can look at it. He's basically been on the end of most of the good chances France have created so far, which either means he's integral to the side and with a different type of striker half those chances wouldn't happen. Or, his limitations have such a big effect on the team that they can basically only create through crosses etc, in which case getting a striker like Griezmann instead could make a massive difference to how well they play. I've kind of concluded the latter at Arsenal, but I haven't seen any of France with Griezmann or Martial as a 9 before, so I'm just completely in the dark as to whether it would be better or not. Given how many chances he got tonight and how good his goal record is for France I'd probably just stick with him unless he has a completely dry game against Switzerland.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 15-06-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings, Stoneman, Denly, Roy | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah, I love him too, but after giving him the benefit of the doubt for so long I'm beginning to have serious reservations about him. Clearly not a "bad" player, but I don't think he's even close to be clinical enough to be a consistently effective player against top opposition. Probably doesn't have the movement either.

Obviously you can't read much into stats, but I'd be interested to see what his chance/conversion ratio is like. Whatever it is I suspect it doesn't look especially good when compared to that of his peers.
    I don't really have any reservations about him, he is what he is. He's a solid 7/10 forward, his output season to season has been pretty consistent and he's definitely good enough to trouble the best on his day.

Lack of pace is definitely his biggest drawback, but the biggest conundrum is that he's a 7/10. He's not dire enough that getting rid of him is a massive priority (see Carroll, Andy), and he's good enough to make an upgrade both rare and ridiculously expensive. Consider diddies like Jackson Martinez were going for £30m last summer; strikers better than Giroud are already at the top clubs in Europe and/or would be insanely expensive to go for. Even someone like Lukaku would cost upwards of £50m, and he most certainly would not be enough of an upgrade to justify that outlay.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    His conversion is fine. In raw % it's better than Aguero, Kane, Sturridge and Vardy over the last two seasons. https://twitter.com/DanKennett/statu...54143142252548 Same is true of "big chances" as well so it's not just because he doesn't shoot from range or whatever.

I think there's two ways you can look at it. He's basically been on the end of most of the good chances France have created so far, which either means he's integral to the side and with a different type of striker half those chances wouldn't happen. Or, his limitations have such a big effect on the team that they can basically only create through crosses etc, in which case getting a striker like Griezmann instead could make a massive difference to how well they play. I've kind of concluded the latter at Arsenal, but I haven't seen any of France with Griezmann or Martial as a 9 before, so I'm just completely in the dark as to whether it would be better or not. Given how many chances he got tonight and how good his goal record is for France I'd probably just stick with him unless he has a completely dry game against Switzerland.
    What's your alternative when neither Benzema or Lacazette were picked in the squad and Gignac was (and is) rubbish?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post

The thing about Griezmann up front is that he's only been killing it in a front 2, which requires completely different skills. I kind of have the opposite opinion from you, I think Switzerland is a good game to try it and see if it works, and if it doesn't they can easily go back to Giroud the next game.

Have to say though, Coman and especially Martial aren't making the most convincing case to play.

Evil Scotsman
    Coman is a much better option off the bench where his pace can test tired defences.

I don't really have any reservations about him, he is what he is. He's a solid 7/10 forward, his output season to season has been pretty consistent and he's definitely good enough to trouble the best on his day.

Lack of pace is definitely his biggest drawback, but the biggest conundrum is that he's a 7/10. He's not dire enough that getting rid of him is a massive priority (see Carroll, Andy), and he's good enough to make an upgrade both rare and ridiculously expensive. Consider diddies like Jackson Martinez were going for £30m last summer; strikers better than Giroud are already at the top clubs in Europe and/or would be insanely expensive to go for. Even someone like Lukaku would cost upwards of £50m, and he most certainly would not be enough of an upgrade to justify that outlay.
    Haha, to me, the second part of your post kind of contradicts the first.

I agree that he's a 7/10 player. But this is the problem, for the reasons you state in your second paragraph. Then again, none of that can really be held against Giroud himself. But so long as it's too expensive to get an upgrade, and he's not bad enough to bin, he will be asked to do the job of a 8/10 or 9/10 player and he just doesn't have it in him. And the cycle of moaning and groaning about needing a new striker will start up all over again.

It's kind of like striker purgatory. It'd almost be better for Arsenal if he was worse than he is, because then a big outlay on someone like Lukaku could be justified, and that might be a catalyst for change etc... As things stand though, I agree, big money for a moderate upgrade would be foolishness.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information