• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Final

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Feel sorry for Italy. They didn't deserve to lose 4-0 - that doesn't reflect the difference between the teams. I actually thought before the injury Italy were looking good for one goal and who knows from there. They passed it around very well - had more possession than Spain at half-time despite being behind.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow. Spain were brilliant. That is all you can say. Fantastic performance from a fantastic team. Best I have seen and if any side betters that in my lifetime they will be worth watching.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, after being ambivalent to them throughout the tournament before tonight, I was completely and utterly won over by Spain in this game. Best football I've seen since the Whites had Morrisey and Nevin running the wings.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Feel sorry for Italy. They didn't deserve to lose 4-0 - that doesn't reflect the difference between the teams. I actually thought before the injury Italy were looking good for one goal and who knows from there. They passed it around very well - had more possession than Spain at half-time despite being behind.
Yeah, I agree. I thought they gave a good account of themselves and can be proud of what they accomplished, more of their performances throughout than tonight perhaps. Terrible luck with injuries tonight as well. 4-0 a bit on the harsh side perhaps, but on the other hand I wouldn't say it flattered Spain, definitely their best display of the entire tournament.

Feel like the BBC pundits attempting to discuss whether or not the current Spain side is the best team ever is a bit of a fool's errand - not a debate I'm particularly interested in having, nor do I believe there is a conclusive answer to - but winning 3 major international trophies in a row is an unrivaled level of achievement, have to hand it to them.

On a sad note, probably won't get to see Buffon or Pirlo in a major tournament again, one suspects.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I agree. I thought they gave a good account of themselves and can be proud of what they accomplished, more of their performances throughout than tonight perhaps. Terrible luck with injuries tonight as well. 4-0 a bit on the harsh side perhaps, but on the other hand I wouldn't say it flattered Spain, definitely their best display of the entire tournament.

Feel like the BBC pundits attempting to discuss whether or not the current Spain side is the best team ever is a bit of a fool's errand - not a debate I'm particularly interested in having, nor do I believe there is a conclusive answer to - but winning 3 major international trophies in a row is an unrivaled level of achievement, have to hand it to them.

On a sad note, probably won't get to see Buffon or Pirlo in a major tournament again, one suspects.
Only 34 for a 'keeper, particularly an Italian one, a mere spring chicken.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Only 34 for a 'keeper, particularly an Italian one, a mere spring chicken.
Had thought he was a year too older than that itbt, may have another tournament in him yet I suppose, but the impression I get from watching him is that his best days are now behind him. His physique is beginning to go, and he doesn't have anything like the level of agility he had a few years back. Have to wonder if he'll consider retirement from Internationals now anyway, hasn't really got a lot left to accomplish. Not seen many better keepers than him over the last 10 years or so in any case.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Looks back to his best. Be interesting to see if he stays at the Chavs mind.
Bit generous there. He's not been terrible but he's not looked back to his best. Looked good all things considered though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Pirlo and Buffon in 2014. Euro 2016 a bit too far I would think though.

Pothas

Has anyone checked if Scaly is ok? Ravi getting runs and Spain winning in the same day can't be good for him.

Anyway Spain were just superb, was really pleased to see them play their very best football in the final, second goal summed it all up, brilliant stuff.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Wouldn't be too surprised to see Pirlo and Buffon in 2014. Euro 2016 a bit too far I would think though.
Yeah I hope we see Pirlo in 2014. Until the final he was my player of the tournament this time, and his game is not overly reliant on pace.

Scaly piscine

My god Italy's defending was rank. They had two guys staring at the totally unmarked short-arse getting a free header into an empty net for the first and the second goal was schoolboy stuff. For the second the keeper was also in a horrible position (didn't leave the near post open so much as half the goal) which was a little surprising. Spain were far more attacking and actually committed men into the box, Italy actually had as much as the ball but lacked the quality with Pirlo being a marked man and Balotelli having an off day.

Real shame Italy had their final against Germany. For the second time the best side got knocked out by the eventual mediocre runners-up to Spain.

Last edited: