• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Semi Final 2: Germany v Italy

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In the CW archived forums section, sit the following:

Champions Trophy 2008
Cricket Web Forumer World Cup

Only fair that this thread should exist if they do

cpr

International Coach
About as funny as seeing Rangers in the 3rd division.

Oh wait no, thats quite hillarious actually. Not to mention equally as likely.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quality from GF.

Can't believe he then turns around and follows Enhland at cricket.

Weird unit.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can a mod edit the title please?

Thanks to GIMH for pointing out the error and Ashley Young for being crap.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm so convinced that this game is going to be good, is going to make up for yesterday. (well I actually only just watched the last game, should have fast forward to extra time)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Most of the previous encounters have been draws haven't they? iirc the only exceptions are Italy's wins in the famous 4-3 WC semi-final in 1970 and the 2-0 semi in the 2006 WC. Actually, the latter is one of my favourite matches in the knock out stages of recent tournaments ('recent' meaning since 1986). Great 1st goal, superbly set up by Pirlo. Oh yes, and the 1982 WC final. I don't think Germany have ever beaten Italy in a tournament proper, but I don't see that bothering the current breed.

Funny times we live in. For years - since 1970, actually - every self-respecting English fan has wanted Germany to lose to whoever they were facing, even the thoroughly obnoxious Argentina side of 1990. Now we're all so bored with the alternatives that we're all big fans of the hun. Including me, which I never thought I'd say. Once they start winning tournaments they'll probably revert to arrogant and boringly efficient, but for the moment I'd be happy to see them win their next two games.

But this is one of the great European fixtures. Looking forward to it immensely.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Is Germany a hated country in the world of soccer?

They're obv not thought too fondly of around these parts due to rivalry/war.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, just saw David's post. Sort've clears it up.
Yeah, it's nothing to do with the war. For me, 1970 was massive as it was the first WC I saw, we were the reigning champs and even though we knew Brazil would probably win it, we also knew that our boys were pretty good. So throwing away a two goal lead to the Germans in the Q-final was absolutely devastating. My response when Muller buried the winner certainly came as a shock to my parents - 10 years old privately schooled boys were supposed to express these things rather better.

The other tipping point was the 1982 WC: the 1-0 pact with Austria, Schumacher's unpunished assault on Battiston and going on to beat the much more attractive French side.

Thereafter, it's probably jealousy. They never looked obviously more talented than us, but they kept reaching finals.

benchmark00

Yeah, it's nothing to do with the war. For me, 1970 was massive as it was the first WC I saw, we were the reigning champs and even though we knew Brazil would probably win it, we also knew that our boys were pretty good. So throwing away a two goal lead to the Germans in the Q-final was absolutely devastating. My response when Muller buried the winner certainly came as a shock to my parents - 10 years old privately schooled boys were supposed to express these things rather better.

The other tipping point was the 1982 WC: the 1-0 pact with Austria, Schumacher's unpunished assault on Battiston and going on to beat the much more attractive French side.

Thereafter, it's probably jealousy. They never looked obviously more talented than us, but they kept reaching finals.
Yeah, they definitely hate them for different reasons around here.

Agent TBY

International Captain
:laugh: at the camera angle making Lahm's head block off the '-ity' in the Respect Diversity thingy while he was speaking. I tuned in and was wondering for a minute why the **** UEFA were asking people to "Respect Divers".