• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Semi Final 2: Germany v Italy

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ah of course

Still irritates me that they won that one, and it was ten years before I was born
Yeah, I should have included that one in my earlier reply to benchy.

And I feel the same way about the Hungary final, which was 6 years before I was born.

On a different note, Klinsmann is so classy, isn't he. Really gracious about the whole thing in the BBC commentary team.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love them or hate them but there is something undeniably magic about Italy in tournament football, sometimes they are a total shambles (last world cup) but then sometimes they go just go and be really good when it really matters.

Germany got their starting lineup wrong but really Italy were just superb.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I should have included that one in my earlier reply to benchy.

And I feel the same way about the Hungary final, which was 6 years before I was born.

On a different note, Klinsmann is so classy, isn't he. Really gracious about the whole thing in the BBC commentary team.
Hungary one has got to be one of the worst things in Football ever.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Amazing really that the 54 & 74 Hungary & Holland teams didn't win anything. Probably two of the best teams ever.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing really that the 54 & 74 Hungary & Holland teams didn't win anything. Probably two of the best teams ever.
Yeah. Holland probably missed their best chance in the 1976 Euros - winning in Germany was always going to be tough, even though they still should have done. But seriously bad luck to come up against the hosts in successive WC finals. iirc they hit the woodwork in the last moments of the 1978 final before going down in extra time.

Talking about 1954, did you ever see 'Miracle of Berne'? I haven't, and wouldn't want to. But I did find the snippets I came across in pretty poor taste - as if the Germans were somehow the victims in having to rebuild after the fallout from WW2. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

The other side to blow it was 1982 Brazil of course. Although, conversely, I never held it against Italy for beating them. I never said there was any logic in my attachments.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No I don't think I've seen it although I had a couple of videos when I was a kid that extensively covered every WC from around the mid-50s through to 86. Don't remember 54 that vividly, 74 and 86 have always been the bits that stood out to me. I've always generally been fond of the Dutch (less so of late I guess) and obviously watching highlights of 86 bred into me a sense of injustice that I've never quite shook off :ph34r:

I've heard plenty about that 82 Brazil side being one of the great non-winners as well, but I don't have sympathy for them as they've got a stack of World Cups anyway. The Dutch blowing it in the 70s was massive. Think the fact that they came to the 2010 Final with such a destructive gameplan was made all the more upsetting thinking of the way they had failed in the past.