• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Achievements by the assistant refs behind the goal in Euro 2012

cpr

International Coach
Saw one of them twitch when he was called upon to make a decision.

Acually no, he just stood and stared at the touchline.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Refereeing in general probably the worst thing about the tournament so far.
Yeah, I hate how strikers are constantly getting penalised for jostling at corners and free kicks but defenders are getting away with everything.

Burgey

Strikers can have a bit of their own back. They've been a blight on the game for years, falling over when a slight zephyr blows and they're in the penalty area.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Burge has a point about stikers, tbf.

However, I think the extra linos behind the goal were one of Twatini's wheezes, weren't they? A last desperate sop to prevent the evils of goal-line technology polluting association football's impeccable corinthian spirit.

As shirt pulling (&, indeed, judo throws, as we saw in the Spain/Croatia game last night) are still endemic, they've proved about as useful as a concrete contraceptive.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thing that ****s me off about the extra officials behind the goal is that for some reason UEFA has them standing at the wrong side.

Uppercut

Tbf it wasn't like the Lampard goal, even up close it's really hard to see whether that was over or not real time. Which just demonstrates how useless they are compared to video replays.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The fact it was offside raises a decent question tbf. With goal line tech in place presumably a goal would have been given. That doesn't seem right really. Thoughts?

cpr

International Coach
Would half the number of useless ****s who ****ed it up though, so its a start. Guess 2 wrongs did make a right that time

Burgey

The fact it was offside raises a decent question tbf. With goal line tech in place presumably a goal would have been given. That doesn't seem right really. Thoughts?
I haven't seen the incident as generally England pool matches at international tournaments send me to sleep, but I think that's irrelevant. If the goal line judge's job is to only decide on whether the ball has crossed the line, then he couldn't refuse to award it because he thought a bloke was off side.

It's a bit like a goal umpire in AFL. His or her job is to decide whether the ball has gone between the sticks, not to decide whether something in the lead up means the player shouldn't have been in position to kick the ball to start with.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I haven't seen the incident as generally England pool matches at international tournaments send me to sleep, but I think that's irrelevant. If the goal line judge's job is to only decide on whether the ball has crossed the line, then he couldn't refuse to award it because he thought a bloke was off side.

It's a bit like a goal umpire in AFL. His or her job is to decide whether the ball has gone between the sticks, not to decide whether something in the lead up means the player shouldn't have been in position to kick the ball to start with.
I agree that the goal referee or whatever shouldn't worry about anything else but at the same time why have technology for that and ignore errors being made everywhere else on the pitch?

Burgey

Well that's the rub though, isn't it? Because there aren't as many stoppages in soccer as other codes of football, it's really a question of where you draw the line. Only on goal-related decisions? Free kicks given in general play? Or free kicks not given? It's pretty difficult.

The general flow of the game doesn't really lend itself to video technology, save for determining whether a goal has been scored. If you have it for offsides, is it for all offsides, or only those which directly lead to a goal, etc etc? I mean, what if there's an offside ball played and then four or fivepasses later a goal is scored?

Obviously it won't happen when England is attacking, because they can't string that many passes together. But the point still stands.