• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Achievements by the assistant refs behind the goal in Euro 2012

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd say give the ref powers to refer any goals he has his doubts about upstairs, like the NB rule in DRS

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say give the ref powers to refer any goals he has his doubts about upstairs, like the NB rule in DRS
Not sure that that will help the game much, less goals. I agree with it for goal-line technology, but for things like all potentially iffy goals where's the redress the other way. The thing is most refs err on the defenders side most of the time, so these 50/50s that invariably go defenders ways, could all lead to goals. You just can't cut them all out.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where do you start looking though? The game has few stoppages. Does the ref tell the video bloke "Go back about a minute and a half, I might have missed an illegal challenge when the team who just scored took possession?"

Tend to think you just run with goal line technology tbh. The primacie of the goal is what makes football, football.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Where do you start looking though? The game has few stoppages. Does the ref tell the video bloke "Go back about a minute and a half, I might have missed an illegal challenge when the team who just scored took possession?"

Tend to think you just run with goal line technology tbh. The primacie of the goal is what makes football, football.
Play the passage until it comes to its natural end. Do it in union with the advantage law without any problems.

Ukraine's "goal" was over the line, no doubt, but it was equally as apparent matey received the ball in an offside position before he laid it on. Seems contrary to natural justice if it'd stood because they was GL tech but the officials couldn't check offside.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The only problem with the natural end thing is what is the natural end is the other team getting a free kick in a dangerous position (as happened on Tuesday) or even a penalty or goal?

What if the natural end is one of the team that scored committing a 2 footed tackle or punched someone?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also there are fairly regularly 6 or 7 minute periods when the ball doesn't go out of play, it seems silly that the two teams would play on for that long not sure whether it's going to count or not.

Maybe they could get an official to look at the video while the game is still going on and inform the ref via earpiece.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Also there are fairly regularly 6 or 7 minute periods when the ball doesn't go out of play, it seems silly that the two teams would play on for that long not sure whether it's going to count or not.

Maybe they could get an official to look at the video while the game is still going on and inform the ref via earpiece.
You'd have thought so with something as major as the ball crossing the goal-line. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Was offside Anyway
It very much annoys me how little this has been noted by journalists and news reporters.

The fact it was offside raises a decent question tbf. With goal line tech in place presumably a goal would have been given. That doesn't seem right really. Thoughts?
You'd hope it would be like the no ball issue in cricket. If a plumb LBW is not given and they review it, only to find out that it's a no ball, then it will remain not out and a no ball will be given. Presumably if football was to have a similar system they'd look at the whole passage of play and simply end the whole process if they find out that it was offside before the chance was created anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
We have our traditional scapegoat now. If they had spotted the fouls on John Terry, Ingerlund would have won. We woz robbed etc...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We have our traditional scapegoat now. If they had spotted the fouls on John Terry, Ingerlund would have won. We woz robbed etc...
Not on this forum, thankfully. Haven't read the tabloids though.

That being said, I think we should credit the assistant ref for spotting Andy Carroll looking at his marker in a funny way and penalising him accordingly whilst Terry and other were having their shirts removed.

Doesn't mean we were robbed, obv.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not on this forum, thankfully. Haven't read the tabloids though.

That being said, I think we should credit the assistant ref for spotting Andy Carroll looking at his marker in a funny way and penalising him accordingly whilst Terry and other were having their shirts removed.

Doesn't mean we were robbed, obv.

Yea that was absolutely hilarious. Several players getting wrestled by Italy's defence, Carroll jumps up to head the ball and it's a free kick to Italy. The referee had spoken to the Italians just before the corner as well.