Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Achievements by the assistant refs behind the goal in Euro 2012

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The fact it was offside raises a decent question tbf. With goal line tech in place presumably a goal would have been given. That doesn't seem right really. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

cpr
    Would half the number of useless ****s who ****ed it up though, so its a start. Guess 2 wrongs did make a right that time
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The fact it was offside raises a decent question tbf. With goal line tech in place presumably a goal would have been given. That doesn't seem right really. Thoughts?
    I haven't seen the incident as generally England pool matches at international tournaments send me to sleep, but I think that's irrelevant. If the goal line judge's job is to only decide on whether the ball has crossed the line, then he couldn't refuse to award it because he thought a bloke was off side.

It's a bit like a goal umpire in AFL. His or her job is to decide whether the ball has gone between the sticks, not to decide whether something in the lead up means the player shouldn't have been in position to kick the ball to start with.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I haven't seen the incident as generally England pool matches at international tournaments send me to sleep, but I think that's irrelevant. If the goal line judge's job is to only decide on whether the ball has crossed the line, then he couldn't refuse to award it because he thought a bloke was off side.

It's a bit like a goal umpire in AFL. His or her job is to decide whether the ball has gone between the sticks, not to decide whether something in the lead up means the player shouldn't have been in position to kick the ball to start with.
    I agree that the goal referee or whatever shouldn't worry about anything else but at the same time why have technology for that and ignore errors being made everywhere else on the pitch?

Well that's the rub though, isn't it? Because there aren't as many stoppages in soccer as other codes of football, it's really a question of where you draw the line. Only on goal-related decisions? Free kicks given in general play? Or free kicks not given? It's pretty difficult.

The general flow of the game doesn't really lend itself to video technology, save for determining whether a goal has been scored. If you have it for offsides, is it for all offsides, or only those which directly lead to a goal, etc etc? I mean, what if there's an offside ball played and then four or fivepasses later a goal is scored?

Obviously it won't happen when England is attacking, because they can't string that many passes together. But the point still stands.

I'd say give the ref powers to refer any goals he has his doubts about upstairs, like the NB rule in DRS

I'd say give the ref powers to refer any goals he has his doubts about upstairs, like the NB rule in DRS
    Not sure that that will help the game much, less goals. I agree with it for goal-line technology, but for things like all potentially iffy goals where's the redress the other way. The thing is most refs err on the defenders side most of the time, so these 50/50s that invariably go defenders ways, could all lead to goals. You just can't cut them all out.
    Last edited by grecian; 20-06-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Where do you start looking though? The game has few stoppages. Does the ref tell the video bloke "Go back about a minute and a half, I might have missed an illegal challenge when the team who just scored took possession?"

Tend to think you just run with goal line technology tbh. The primacie of the goal is what makes football, football.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Where do you start looking though? The game has few stoppages. Does the ref tell the video bloke "Go back about a minute and a half, I might have missed an illegal challenge when the team who just scored took possession?"

Tend to think you just run with goal line technology tbh. The primacie of the goal is what makes football, football.
    Play the passage until it comes to its natural end. Do it in union with the advantage law without any problems.

Ukraine's "goal" was over the line, no doubt, but it was equally as apparent matey received the ball in an offside position before he laid it on. Seems contrary to natural justice if it'd stood because they was GL tech but the officials couldn't check offside.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    The only problem with the natural end thing is what is the natural end is the other team getting a free kick in a dangerous position (as happened on Tuesday) or even a penalty or goal?

What if the natural end is one of the team that scored committing a 2 footed tackle or punched someone?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Also there are fairly regularly 6 or 7 minute periods when the ball doesn't go out of play, it seems silly that the two teams would play on for that long not sure whether it's going to count or not.

Maybe they could get an official to look at the video while the game is still going on and inform the ref via earpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Also there are fairly regularly 6 or 7 minute periods when the ball doesn't go out of play, it seems silly that the two teams would play on for that long not sure whether it's going to count or not.

Maybe they could get an official to look at the video while the game is still going on and inform the ref via earpiece.
    You'd have thought so with something as major as the ball crossing the goal-line. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Was offside Anyway
    It very much annoys me how little this has been noted by journalists and news reporters.

You'd hope it would be like the no ball issue in cricket. If a plumb LBW is not given and they review it, only to find out that it's a no ball, then it will remain not out and a no ball will be given. Presumably if football was to have a similar system they'd look at the whole passage of play and simply end the whole process if they find out that it was offside before the chance was created anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    We have our traditional scapegoat now. If they had spotted the fouls on John Terry, Ingerlund would have won. We woz robbed etc...

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    We have our traditional scapegoat now. If they had spotted the fouls on John Terry, Ingerlund would have won. We woz robbed etc...
    Not on this forum, thankfully. Haven't read the tabloids though.

That being said, I think we should credit the assistant ref for spotting Andy Carroll looking at his marker in a funny way and penalising him accordingly whilst Terry and other were having their shirts removed.

Doesn't mean we were robbed, obv.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 25-06-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information