• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Might as well start this thread as this time tomorrow we'll have our first set of fixtures. If a mod could edit this post as we go that would be great.

Schedule

Thursday 21st June
Czech Republic V Portugal

Friday 22nd June
Germany V Greece

Saturday 23rd June
Spain V France

Sunday 24th June
England V Italy

Got a feeling the entertainment will drop down a notch or two in this round. Hoping to be proved wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We'll win our group. 2-0 win over Ukraine, France beat Sweden 1-0, we top it on goals scored

My predicted fixtures:

Czech Republic V Portugal
Greece V Germany
Spain V France
England V Croatia

Leading to:

Portugal V Spain
Greece V England

And finally

Spain 0-6 England (Downing hat trick the highlight)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If we get through, and Ukraine have started pretty lively, can't see us doing anything against the Spanish. In fact the quarters will be looking pretty meh France-Italy will probably be 1-0 AET or something, Portugal-Czech Rep could be a good game but Portugal will likely play boring tactics and the other two games will be no contests.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Got half a chance against the Italians. Just got to out Italian them on the night. Glad the surrender monkeys threw away the easier route to the final.

Germany should beat Greece and Portugal will win so the semis will be...

Germany v England
Spain v Portugal

Spain v Germany in the final after we lose on penalties.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not sure which is the easier route to be honest - based on how they've played so far I'd rather face Spain then Portugal/Czech Republic (who I feel could do Portugal) than Italy/Germany.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The best thing about this link is the footage from the 1948 match, which is one of England's best ever performances. Italy had won the two WCs before WW2, so they were no mugs, even if this side wouldn't have included many of those teams. England, otoh, fielded possibly their finest ever attack. And I'd never previously seen anything from the game, only read about it.

England v Italy: A history of football encounters in YouTube clips | Football | guardian.co.uk

Beyond that, there's some interesting footage of us being completely outclassed in a 1973 friendly. And Phil Neal's desperate luinge at Graziani in 1980 is still painful to behold.

And they should have included the qualifiers for the 1978 WC.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been way too long without a match now, really hoping these quaters are as good as the group stage.

This could still really be Ronaldo's tournament, do well tonight, end Spain's domination in the semis and then score winner in the final against Germany.

Of course he could easily be in tears in 4 hours time after missing a penalty, either way I'm looking forward to it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Portugal looked pretty decent in their last match, so if they can repeat that sort of performance tonight I'd fully expect them to advance. Czechs are pretty ordinary.

grecian

Pretty cagey stuff so far, but I suppose we have to expect that from now on in.
Yes. There was a Tournament that was really good, then became utterly tedious in the knock-out stages, can't remember which one, they all merge in a drunken haze after a while.

Early to say that obviously, but you can see at least one team in each Quarters that will wish to play negatively.

grecian

On the one hand it's that ****, but OTOH, it's been deserved and to the team that have been trying to win.

Still, no 0-0s.