• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If England want any chance to play decently in the WC they can't take Roy. This kind of performance will be the norm and there is no way they are going to get this lucky in multiple games.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Why the **** was Cole taking a penalty?

Young should have been subbed off at half-time.

Italy on the balance of play deserved it. Was going for England this tourney though so disappointed.
He usually takes them in shootouts. Scored against Bayern recently too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Why the **** was Cole taking a penalty?

Young should have been subbed off at half-time.

Italy on the balance of play deserved it. Was going for England this tourney though so disappointed.
Cole's track record with penalty shootouts is pretty good isn't it? Buried one in the Champions League final, anyway.

Young's a complete wanker and got his just deserts. I'd like to think that's his last kick in an England shirt for a few years. But it probably won't be.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Cole's track record with penalty shootouts is pretty good isn't it? Buried one in the Champions League final, anyway.

Young's a complete wanker and got his just deserts. I'd like to think that's his last kick in an England shirt for a few years. But it probably won't be.
I remember him taking a few, not being renown for it. Meh. I would have let Henderson take it ahead of him TBH.

Surprised JT hasn't thrown an Italy kit on and started celebrating TBH.
:laugh:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
If England want any chance to play decently in the WC they can't take Roy. This kind of performance will be the norm and there is no way they are going to get this lucky in multiple games.
Yeah, because we were so good at the WC under our previous manager ......

Whether Hodgson is able to get an English side to actually keep the ball is debatable. I suspect that would be beyond anyone. Especially with the meager fares available to us nowadays.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Done the country proud, we're just average.

Have to say I'm gutted, but I hope we learn from this ****. Parker is rubbish, Terry can retire, Milner isn't good enough, young and welbeck don't look great. Why was Rooney so unfit?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. Italy played the better football but they were absolute garbage in the final third.
They created quite a few chances, and had a a lot of shots on target too. Their finishing was dire, but definitely the better team clearly.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ah well, a reasonable campaign comes to an inevitable end, shame it was with a really poor performance. Never mind.

So annoying the way the BBC pundits are now lording it about how England failed to keep possession, as if it's somehow a new problem which hasn't plagued them for the best part of a decade.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, because we were so good at the WC under our previous manager ......

Whether Hodgson is able to get an English side to actually keep the ball is debatable. I suspect that would be beyond anyone. Especially with the meager fares available to us nowadays.
You misunderstand. Hodgson doesn't want his team to dominate possession or play the kind of football you see from Italy. He wants the midfield to sit deep, not press so as not to lose shape, and to utilise long balls from the back. Roy is still living on tactics from the 1970s.

England will play plenty of friendlies in between now and the WC and you'll see this even clearer.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Done the country proud, we're just average.

Have to say I'm gutted, but I hope we learn from this ****. Parker is rubbish, Terry can retire, Milner isn't good enough, young and welbeck don't look great. Why was Rooney so unfit?
Because he's world class and therefore it's OK? It's a very fair question actually. Yet another dire tournament from the over-indulged one. 2004 really was the beginning and end of it, wasn't it.

grecian

Ah well, a reasonable campaign comes to an inevitable end, shame it was with a really poor performance. Never mind.

So annoying the way the BBC pundits are now lording it about how England failed to keep possession, as if it's somehow a new problem which hasn't plagued them for the best part of a decade.

A decade? since I've started watching them.

Last edited:

social

**** me, backed England for the the first time ever when it got to penalties and have just lost a $945 drinks bill - serves me right