• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Because with a half-decent ref any team taking that approach would quickly find themselves down to 10, 9 or 8 men.
Depends how cleverly you do it. Not talking about De Jong style Kung Fu Kicks obviously, but just enough to let them know they are in for a physical contest. Many teams have done it in major tournaments over the years and Referee's are always cautious with sending off's in such Championships, especially for persistent fouling.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seriously, use apostrophes properly or I'll hunt you down and eat your brains.

Getting a duck today and then watching that apology for a football game has not put me in a good frame of mind.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's been the only down-side of Germany being in transition over the last 4 years. I would back a typical Germany side to beat Spain. They wouldn't bottle it like the other sides have done. You can get at Spain, just teams don't keep the ball long enough to do it, or when they get the chances they miss. France had numerous promising positions in the earlier stages of the second half, they just messed them up with poor passing.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I'll welcome you to the World of grammatical proficiency once you iron out your bad habits.
Well, that's very kind of you, but i am already in that overrated and over emphasized world as far as my first 2 languages are concerned. Can live with having some bad habits wrt the grammar of a 3rd, as long as i get the basic point across.

And that is part b of your tutorial to Internet forums - Irrelevant/off - topic chat.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Btw, i am a bit surprised no team so far has tried to do what the Dutch did to Spain in the WC final with relative success. I.e Roughen them up and get at them physically besides playing on the counter.
The only reason the Dutch approach worked was because Howard Webb refused to referee the game properly.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ripping on someone who types near perfect English, when it isn't their first language, because they get a few apostrophes wrong is pretty weak.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The only reason the Dutch approach worked was because Howard Webb refused to referee the game properly.
A referee cautious to send someone off on a big occasion is hardly a surprise. Except for the De Jong Kung fu kick, the dutch pushed the limit cleverly (with certain players backing off after receiving a yellow) and baited Spain into retaliating and entering the game they wanted to play. At the end it created a scrappy match, where Iniesta was lucky again thanks to Howard Webb to even remain on the pitch before he scored the winner.

Not talking about replicating the exact same tactics of the Dutch either, but am surprised no one has just got stuck into them physically even to a lesser degree to let them know of a contest.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A referee cautious to send someone off on a big occasion is hardly a surprise. Except for the De Jong Kung fu kick, the dutch pushed the limit cleverly (with certain players backing off after receiving a yellow) and baited Spain into retaliating and entering the game they wanted to play. At the end it created a scrappy match, where Iniesta was lucky again thanks to Howard Webb to even remain on the pitch before he scored the winner.

Not talking about replicating the exact same tactics of the Dutch either, but am surprised no one has just got stuck into them physically even to a lesser degree to let them know of a contest.
van Bommel spent the entire first half hacking

cpr

International Coach
Not a total gaffe but I thought it was pretty poor and it annoys me how the commentators don't pick up on keepers' positional errors at all.
What got me about the goal is Lloris and Givet were basically in a line. Fair enough Givet was rushing accross to cover, but Lloris had himself in a position where he couldn't see Alonso at the point he headed it, so didn't know where it was going until it was almost on it.

He'd moved too far over to the left, left a gaping big target back accross goal which he was too off balance to cover. It was only logical Alonso would head back accross the goal, as that was the larger target, trying to head to (his) bottom right would probably be blocked by Givet, or sliced. Lloris needs to take a look at that goal and hold his hands up

Martinez letting the neutral mask slip a bit. Spanish games are good to watch because "you want to watch winners", not if the games are as ball-crushingly tedious as that we don't, Bob.
Would explain why the DW's been half empty all season Bobby....

That's been the only down-side of Germany being in transition over the last 4 years. I would back a typical Germany side to beat Spain. They wouldn't bottle it like the other sides have done. You can get at Spain, just teams don't keep the ball long enough to do it, or when they get the chances they miss. France had numerous promising positions in the earlier stages of the second half, they just messed them up with poor passing.
Reminds me of the Arsenal Invincibles, in that half the battle was the reputation, teams stood off and allowed them to play their game. Mentally many teams are already beaten. We showed that year if a team plays in their face and at least tries to disrupt their flow (even if slightly underhand with niggly fouls), they can be ruffled and frustrated. Question is, are England good enough to do it?