Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Quarter Finals

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Did Waddle actually play for Taylor?

Euro 92 is the first tournament I can properly remember (my memory of Italia 90 is pretty foggy), I don't ever remember actually seeing Waddle play for England.
    Oh, I think he did, he played about 10 minutes at the end of a friendly, and GT jocularly informed us that that was clearly all he had to know about some players, I think Robbo may have played in the same game.

In the end Taylor kept on leaving him out, using brilliant excuses all along, like he's probably in the best 23 in the country, but not the best 22, or all I want from forwards is to score goals, even though he picked Barnes ahead of him. Every press conference was a new reason why he picked the likes of andy sinton or tony daley ahead of Waddle, who was incredible with Marseille, got them to an euro final, and then came back to England to win Pfa player of the year for Sheffield ****ing Wednesday. Taylor kept on finding reasons to not put him in the squad though
    Last edited by grecian; 24-06-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    bollox, we were boring against france, technically deficient but interesting against sweden, poor against ukraine and outplayed by italy.
    Still showed some fight considering how average we are, more fight than when we had better squads anyway

bollox, we were boring against france, technically deficient but interesting against sweden, poor against ukraine and outplayed by italy.
    I know, it really was just a standard England performance in a major tournament but Roy seems like a nice guy so everyone tried to convince themselves that this was a 'new' England, they were easily capable of producing those performances under Capello.

Roy is not a bad manager but I have no doubt the positivity around him will be gone by the time the World cup comes around.

Think everyone knows England got what they deserved today but no point ranting about it.

Italy were not fantastic by any means but should have won easily in normal time. Germany should dispose of them easily but it is Italy...

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Still showed some fight considering how average we are, more fight than when we had better squads anyway
    +1

The current squad actually put in which is something others can"t be accused of doing

Today they were totally outclassed and still got it to a lottery - nothing to be ashamed of IMO

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Italy win tournaments when there's a fascist government or match fixing scandal. We never had a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    When would that be then, apart from Mclaren we qualified and apart from germany we lost on pens, sometimes without being utterly outplayed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Taylor had Gascoigne.
    & Barnes, Shearer, Platt, etc

It would've been a travesty if we'd won on pens, but the whole game seemed to be set up for it.

Was interesting to note that Carrol won absolutely everything in the air. Somethng for Woy to think about.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    I know, it really was just a standard England performance in a major tournament but Roy seems like a nice guy so everyone tried to convince themselves that this was a 'new' England, they were easily capable of producing those performances under Capello.

Roy is not a bad manager but I have no doubt the positivity around him will be gone by the time the World cup comes around.

Think everyone knows England got what they deserved today but no point ranting about it.

Italy were not fantastic by any means but should have won easily in normal time. Germany should dispose of them easily but it is Italy...
    This is not about "performances in a major tournament", it is about quality

Did you see how technically superior the Italians were?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    & Barnes, Shearer, Platt, etc

It would've been a travesty if we'd won on pens, but the whole game seemed to be set up for it.

Was interesting to note that Carrol won absolutely everything in the air. Somethng for Woy to think about.
    Carroll has been a major plus for us in this tournament. Looked motivated, energetic but also played intelligently, from a positional POV, which he didn't do most of the times I saw Liverpool last season.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    This is not about "performances in a major tournament", it is about quality

Did you see how technically superior the Italians were?
    Yeah which is why it was a standard England tournament, they are not a very good side...

Wanted England to win. Laaaaaaaaaaaame result.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Italy win tournaments when there's a fascist government or match fixing scandal. We never had a chance.

cpr
    Looks like mobiles arn't the only things Cole arses up....

Best team got through, though I'm not too dissapointed in how we did. We looked awful upfront, and Milner/Young had shocking tournaments - should've taken Johnson. Terry/Lescott/Gerrard were our best players by far.

One thing we didnt get was bringing on Henderson instead of Defoe. Could've dropped Rooney left (if bringing off the absent Young) or back a bit (if Parker was unable to continue), and allowed Defoe to run onto Carrolls flicks/passes - made a tired defence work.

Tonight their left back had the freedom of our half - Milner, for all his 'keeping shape', was nowhere to be seen defensively.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Why was Rooney so unfit?
    He's always like that. It's been fun seeing everyone who never paid much attention to United this season slowly realise that England's One World-Class Player can trap the ball further than most players can kick it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Luck run out. Showed less ambition than Greece and got what they deserved. Surely the last we see of Gerrard in an England shirt? Legs went at half time and unlike Pirlo, Gerrard with no legs isnít a footballer of any note. Thought Carroll was an embarrassment, played like a pub player. Interesting that Carroll was left mostly unchallenged when he came on, I think the Italians were in the know that Carrollís second touch is a tackle; he canít run with the ball, he canít pass and he canít shoot. Presumably Hart would have taken a pen before him as well.

No chance in 2014, so building towards 2016 it is then.
    Hope Italy goes on. Pirlo is a genius. Need to drop Mario Balotelli mind. Was the perfect fit against Englandís centre halves but the guys on the bench can actually finish and there were shades of Marlon Harwood again tonight. Liked the Italian number 7, the AC Milan full-back, Abate, looks positively un-Italian and plays a bit like a Brazilian full-back.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread Information