• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cole has been great in shoot-outs, can't stand the weasel, but I think he's scored in a number of key ones.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
One thing you have to give Roy credit for is getting the team chemistry right. Am I right in saying this has been the first England team in ages where the team actually seemed united and not a bunch of primadonnas thrown together to make a team?

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I'd go a long with that.

Too bad that it's probably the worst in terms of ability since the days of Graham Taylor.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Generally, I'd let players with better shooting techniques to take penalties. TBH, didn't know Cole had taken so many penalties. I remember the CL ones but not much besides that. Anyway, harsh to blame him since he had a good tourney.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Andrea Pirlo is on different level to anyone else out there, He was the ****ing god on that pitch
Thought that was the worst part of the tactics involved. Keep a dedicated player on Pirlo and there goes 50% of Italy. Rooney, Welbeck and Carroll did track him but nowhere near enough. As the English commentators said he basically had a cigar in his mouth and was playing passes.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Pirlo's performance was way overrated tbh - apart from the penalty that is. It's not too hard to play accurate long balls when the opposition midfielders aren't closing you down.

grecian

One thing you have to give Roy credit for is getting the team chemistry right. Am I right in saying this has been the first England team in ages where the team actually seemed united and not a bunch of primadonnas thrown together to make a team?
Bollox. he had an easy group and they won, we've qualified from our groups every time recently, until we ran up against good oppo, exactly the same as here. The difference is this bloke didn't even qualify us.

shambolic

social

You misunderstand. Hodgson doesn't want his team to dominate possession or play the kind of football you see from Italy. He wants the midfield to sit deep, not press so as not to lose shape, and to utilise long balls from the back. Roy is still living on tactics from the 1970s.

England will play plenty of friendlies in between now and the WC and you'll see this even clearer.
Such crap

England simply dont have the skill to do so!

Gerrard was excellent in the first few games but Pirlo embarrassed him tonight

It was man vs boys and Woy knew it was coming

Give the guy credit for taking an incredibly limited team to penalties

L Trumper

State Regular
I thought Pirlo's performance was way overrated tbh - apart from the penalty that is. It's not too hard to play accurate long balls when the opposition midfielders aren't closing you down.
Ha ha!! Because he is escaping from said pressure and england forwards couldn't be bothered after 30 mins. He was so much better than anyone else for most of the game. If Balo can actually shoot it would've been over in 90 mins.

But that penalty woof!! Italian players were almost laughing after that one, took the pressure off after montolivo's awful miss.

grecian

Yeah, I'd go a long with that.

Too bad that it's probably the worst in terms of ability since the days of Graham Taylor.

Sorry mate but that was a team that had just got to the semis of the world cup, Waddle, Gazza et al, how you can even remotely compare it in quality to nowadays.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sorry mate but that was a team that had just got to the semis of the world cup, Waddle, Gazza et al, how you can even remotely compare it in quality to nowadays.
Yeah, I may be letter Taylor himself cloud my memories of that team somewhat. In any event, whether you compare this side to the 1994 one or not, it's certainly the worst since.

Though having said that, I honestly believe there's more spirit about this England side than previous ones in recent memory. Not that it did them any good I suppose.