Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The first round of the World Cup is absolute arse because there's so many joke sides.

I love the Euros because it's a tough tournament to win. In 2000, France had to get through a group with the Netherlands, Czech Republic and Denmark, then grt past Spain, Portugal and Italy in the knockouts.

Can't remeber their group in 98, IIRC it contained South Africa and some other dunce side like Saudi Arabia, then Paraguay in the last 16.
    You are talking as if Paraguay is some kind of run of the mill no good side. They are generally on par with second rung of EU teams (i.e. equivalent/better than likes of czech, denmark etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah and they gave Spain an actual game of Football in the last World cup

South American football is bloody strong right now, even if Brazil and Argentina have not been excelling.

I would not deny that recent Euros have definetly been better competitons to watch than the recent World Cup but they are still easier to win. Is also worth pointing out that many of the dire world cup games we have seen in the last two tournaments have been between European sides.

Personaly I will always love the group stages in both tournaments, the Euros because you get fixtures like we are seeing today and the World cup because of great variety in quality and style, it's the bloody World cup I don't just want an elite few playing.
    It's not about being elitist, but the quality of the World Cup is diluted by having 14 teams from outwith Europe and South America. There's no way Africa and Asia merit 10 places between them.

Yeah, my use of the word "elite" may not have been the wisest choice. My stance has nothing to do with being elitist and keeping small nations out, but more on keeping the competition in a state where it is comprised only of teams that are deserving of a place.

I just don't buy into the "bigger is better" philosophy for this sort of thing. I love the World Cup as much as anyone else, it's unquestionably the biggest, most prestigious and most exciting sporting event there is in my opinion. But by the end of it, I've more or less had enough, I don't see what value there is in prolonging it (other than the obvious financial gains to be had from doing so). I might be somewhat cynical, but after an entire year of seeing domestic/European football almost daily throughout the course of a season, and then several matches a day for a further month in a World Cup year, the last thing I want to see at the end of it is more football.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's not about being elitist, but the quality of the World Cup is diluted by having 14 teams from outwith Europe and South America. There's no way Africa and Asia merit 10 places between them.
    It's all politics, dude.

Wouldn't lump Africa in with Asia either, far stronger on the whole. South Korea and the Nips are solid as the carpetbagging crims, but on the whole they're invariably turd.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The African showing was a big disappointment in the last WC though wasn't it?

Dunno, don't think we need any more European or South American sides, suppose the expansion of the WC to 32 enabled more teams from other continents to participate and it is without doubt th number one world sports event so you wouldn't want corners of the globe not represented.

I think I would increase the amount of intercontinental qualifying at the end, so the last 4 spots or so could come from any continent.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnners View Post
    Very much awta, I love these tournaments from start to finish. The more games the better imho, it's such a rare opportunity to see players from all over the world that you barely knew existed.
    Agree with this.

Not too bothered at all about having weaker teams in, IMO the more teams the better, Just because you get teams that aren't as good doesn't make them likely to be any less exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post

I think I would increase the amount of intercontinental qualifying at the end, so the last 4 spots or so could come from any continent.
    Oh yeah I bet Ireland would love a home-and-away play-off with Burkina Faso.

Some kind of rules about how you gain and lose spots would be nice, though. Too subjective at the moment.

Always liked this explanation for the expansion: Football rankings: EURO expansion: Those crafty Scots and Irish!
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's all politics, dude.

Wouldn't lump Africa in with Asia either, far stronger on the whole. South Korea and the Nips are solid as the carpetbagging crims, but on the whole they're invariably turd.
    Nonsense. African teams are regularly amongst the worst at World Cups.

13 European teams is far too few.

Because Slovenia, Serbia, Greece and Switzerland so illuminated the last tournament.

Japan, Korea and every South American were far better value.

I think the balance of the World Cup is just about ok as it is, it's a shame that Russia and Croatia did not make it but that is their own fault.

Oceania have one spot too many. I think South America should be given an extra country especially with the Cup being in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Oceania have one spot too many. I think South America should be given an extra country especially with the Cup being in Brazil.
    Nah. Every confederation should have a minimum of one spot, it was a disgrace that for years Oceania (read Australia) had to play off for a spot.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Still do don't they?

Nah. Every confederation should have a minimum of one spot, it was a disgrace that for years Oceania (read Australia) had to play off for a spot.
    I wonder if you'll agree when Tahiti play Brazil or whoever in the Confederations Cup.

I agree with GIMH that the last few spots should be from intercontinental qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Still do don't they?
    Pretty sure New Zealand qualified last time as winners of their section. Willing to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I wonder if you'll agree when Tahiti play Brazil or whoever in the Confederations Cup.
    The Confederations Cup is an absolute irrelevance. I think the last time I paid attention to it was in 2001 when France picked a few non-regulars and we were being heavily linked with Laurent Robert.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information