• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oceania have one spot too many. I think South America should be given an extra country especially with the Cup being in Brazil.
Nah. Every confederation should have a minimum of one spot, it was a disgrace that for years Oceania (read Australia) had to play off for a spot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah. Every confederation should have a minimum of one spot, it was a disgrace that for years Oceania (read Australia) had to play off for a spot.
I wonder if you'll agree when Tahiti play Brazil or whoever in the Confederations Cup.

I agree with GIMH that the last few spots should be from intercontinental qualifying.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wonder if you'll agree when Tahiti play Brazil or whoever in the Confederations Cup.
The Confederations Cup is an absolute irrelevance. I think the last time I paid attention to it was in 2001 when France picked a few non-regulars and we were being heavily linked with Laurent Robert.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Confederations Cup is an absolute irrelevance. I think the last time I paid attention to it was in 2001 when France picked a few non-regulars and we were being heavily linked with Laurent Robert.
It basically replaced the need for things like Le Tournoi de France where the hosts would hold a friendly tournament the year before the WC.

Still, I look forwards to England winning it in 2013 :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because Slovenia, Serbia, Greece and Switzerland so illuminated the last tournament.

Japan, Korea and every South American were far better value.

I think the balance of the World Cup is just about ok as it is, it's a shame that Russia and Croatia did not make it but that is their own fault.
Because hand picking teams from a particular continent that were **** is going to further an argument.

The teams next in line for Europe were Ireland, Ukraine, Russia and Bosnia Herzegovina. Decent enough. Obviously some teams will outdo themselves in qualifying, others will have a bad qualifying and look a lot better by the time World Cup comes around - such as Russia possibly.

Personally I think there should definitely be more intercontinental play-offs. You don't need so many sides from Africa etc. to get the whole 'world' element across to the competition. Set a reasonable number of teams to go through from each continent and let the rest play off. You want the best teams playing.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'd be... interesting. Can just imagine Iran going to play a second leg in DR Congo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nonsense. African teams are regularly amongst the worst at World Cups.

13 European teams is far too few.
Nah, Ghana were within a penalty of a semi place last time around, Algeria famously beat Jerry in 82 before they were robbed by an Austrian/German carve up, Cameroon downed the bastard Argentine (then champions) in 90 on the way to scaring the **** out of us in the quarters & Senegal also beat the defending champions in 2002's opener whilst on the way to the quarters.

What have Asian teams done? South Korea making the semis in 2002 thanks to some very friendly (read: bent as ****) refereeing decisions & that's it.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Nah, Ghana were within a penalty of a semi place last time around, Algeria famously beat Jerry in 82 before they were robbed by an Austrian/German carve up, Cameroon downed the bastard Argentine (then champions) in 90 on the way to scaring the **** out of us in the quarters & Senegal also beat the defending champions in 2002's opener whilst on the way to the quarters.

What have Asian teams done? South Korea making the semis in 2002 thanks to some very friendly (read: bent as ****) refereeing decisions & that's it.
Also, the 5+-goal World Cup thrashings since 1994 expansion:

8-0 Germany over Saudi Arabia, 2002
7-0 Portugal over North Korea, 2010
6-0 Argentina over Serbia/Crna Gora, 2006
6-1 Russia over Cameroon, 1994
6-1 Spain over Bulgaria, 1998
5-0 Netherlands over South Korea, 1998
5-0 Argentina over Jamaica, 1998

Three times Asia, twice Europe, once the others.