Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stadiums of Hate

Stadiums of Hate

Figured there'll be plenty of incidents in the tournament that fit the bill, so I've left the thread title a little more generic.

I have been watching the Panorama document on the BBC entitled Stadiums of Hate. Err yea, Nazi-ism still alive and well then. Slightly comedic bit where the Oxbridge toff goes 'bloody hell' but it's just nuts...
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Figured there'll be plenty of incidents in the tournament that fit the bill, so I've left the thread title a little more generic.

I have been watching the Panorama document on the BBC entitled Stadiums of Hate. Err yea, Nazi-ism still alive and well then. Slightly comedic bit where the Oxbridge toff goes 'bloody hell' but it's just nuts...

It was fairly shocking wasn't it? Another reason why I'm not really up for this Tournament, roll on the Olympics.....
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Strikes me as slightly odd that neo-nazism should be alive and well in the Ukraine - perhaps it was all just too long ago

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Strikes me as slightly odd that neo-nazism should be alive and well in the Ukraine - perhaps it was all just too long ago
    Bear in mind that the Eastern Bloc suffered for decades under Russian rule and that Hitler's armies "liberated" the populations of the Soviet Union...Hitler and Nazism aren't as reviled in the Eastern Bloc as they are in Western Europe.

It's the Poles that surprised me more, although given that Poland is about 99% Polish it doesn't surprise me that they're not too keen on "foreigners". The role of a large part of the Polish population in the Holocaust also tends to get a bit swept under the carpet because Hitler quite liked murdering a lot of Poles as well.
    Last edited by Furball; 28-05-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    ​63*

cpr
    Meh, Poles will leave us alone, or we'll sack their uncles and the money home will stop. Ikkinomics
    Last edited by cpr; 28-05-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Bear in mind that the Eastern Bloc suffered for decades under Russian rule and that Hitler's armies "liberated" the populations of the Soviet Union...Hitler and Nazism aren't as reviled in the Eastern Bloc as they are in Western Europe.

It's the Poles that surprised me more, although given that Poland is about 99% Polish it doesn't surprise me that they're not too keen on "foreigners". The role of a large part of the Polish population in the Holocaust also tends to get a bit swept under the carpet because Hitler quite liked murdering a lot of Poles as well.
    Oh I appreciate that in the early part of WW2 there were plenty of Ukrainians who saw the Germans as liberators - I was more surprised in light of the indoctrination that then went on in schools during the USSR era

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Oh I appreciate that in the early part of WW2 there were plenty of Ukrainians who saw the Germans as liberators - I was more surprised in light of the indoctrination that then went on in schools during the USSR era
    True, but if we accept that the typical Ultra will be male and in his 20s, the vast majority of them would have been schooled after the fall of the Soviet Union, and the younger Ultras in the 16-21 age bracket won't even remember the Soviet Union as it fell before they were even born.

Prior to the World Cup every football fan was highly susceptible to being robbed, raped and killed according to the UK media while going to the idyllic countries of Poland and Ukraine according to Sol Campbell, a player who received death threats and homophobic and racist taunts while playing in England, you will be coming home in a coffin.

I suspect if Panorama did an expose on football fans in the UK, took their cameras to say Ibrox and recorded their supporters signing hits such as “The famine Is over so why don’t you go home?” or travelled with them to Israel, where Rangers fans did one armed salutes, a similar faux opinion of football fans in the UK will be formed?

2014 World Cup, Rio slums use stock footage from Ross Kemp on Gangs as the World Cup will take place in those slums like the 2010 WC was hosted in the Cape Flats. 2018 World Cup, Russia, Danny Dyer went there, didn't he? Have Chris Samba on saying a banana was thrown at him while showing footage of a Chinese immigrant being brutality beat up by a bunch of thugs on the Moscow metro as that's relevant to watching football games abroad.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 29-05-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Granted the footage shown wasn't good, but this was a very BBC style documentary, if you get what I mean. To be taken with a pinch of salt.

I think one of the worst aspects of it was the Ukrainian Official denying there was anything racist going on. The attack on the Asian students, was utterly unprovoked and there seemed to be no help from stewards. There are scum supporters everywhere, but where there is head in sand stuff from authorities, how will it get better.

I'm not quite sure why TTBoy is trivialising it, won't make it go away. Did you actually watch it?

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    I suspect if Panorama did an expose on football fans in the UK, took their cameras to say Ibrox and recorded their supporters signing hits such as “The famine Is over so why don’t you go home?” or travelled with them to Israel, where Rangers fans did one armed salutes, a similar faux opinion of football fans in the UK will be formed?
    You're aware that song was written by an Irishman, aren't you?

I'm aware that I'm going to sound like that Ukranian cop, but those weren't Nazi salutes, although it's ****ing cringeworthy. Because to the rest of the population, people are going to use the "if it looks like a duck" logic, and it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    You're aware that song was written by an Irishman, aren't you?

I'm aware that I'm going to sound like that Ukranian cop, but those weren't Nazi salutes, although it's ****ing cringeworthy. Because to the rest of the population, people are going to use the "if it looks like a duck" logic, and it doesn't look good.
    Written? Insert racist lyrics onto the tune of a Beach Boys song.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    I think one of the worst aspects of it was the Ukrainian Official denying there was anything racist going on. The attack on the Asian students, was utterly unprovoked and there seemed to be no help from stewards. There are scum supporters everywhere, but where there is head in sand stuff from authorities, how will it get better.
    Same old same old. 20 to 30 years ago over here, the responses to racism in Englsih grounds were firstly to pretend it wasn't happening, eventually to admit that it was happening but it's only a small minority, and finally to claim that it was society's problem, so please don't expect clubs supposed to do anything about it.

The depressing response from the Ukrainian official claiming that the BC report is bogus suggests that they are happy to be in stage 1 at the moment, so I shouldn't hold you breath about any action being taken. Recent incidents in Western Europe and the pitiful measures taken by UEFA give a fair idea of where things are at.

I'm trying work out which song. If it's Sloop John B, which kind of fits, the Beach Boys didn't write it.

Regardless, it was done by an Irishman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information