• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commentary Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah he played for us against Man U in the League Cup. Think we lost 5-0. Before I was born.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
ITV's production values are pissweak compared to the beeb as well

Personally I wish sky were allowed to show some games; not exclusively but it'd be nice to have the choice.

The good news is ESPN have none. Their choice of pundit is...well.
There's actually nothing to stop Sky winning rights for the coverage - I'm assuming the reason Sky don't have any rights is because from their point of view there's no point bidding for something that would still have to be available on FTA.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Mark Lawrenson, Republic of Ireland international, slates Podolski for playing for Germany.

Sooner major tournaments get taken away from FTA the better.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Probably mistook the Irish team for the England B team tbh, pretty sure that's how every Englishman thinks of it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I didn't even hear that, but I try to switch off when Lawrenson talks.
Must the campest man ever to play centre half for Liverpool.

I missed it too. Would be hypocrisy of quite a high magnitude tho given Lawrenson was born and raised in Preston and Podolski (from memory) moved to Germany at something like three.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Must the campest man ever to play centre half for Liverpool.

I missed it too. Would be hypocrisy of quite a high magnitude tho given Lawrenson was born and raised in Preston and Podolski (from memory) moved to Germany at something like three.

What ahead of Tommy Smith and Ron Yeats?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would've had Emelyn "The boy dun brilliant" Hughes second myself. Very high register voice on aQoS back in the day.

RIP, obvz.

grecian

Would've had Emelyn "The boy dun brilliant" Hughes second myself. Very high register voice on aQoS back in the day.

RIP, obvz.
May have had a squeaky voice, but was a hard player TBH, didn't get called "Crazy Horse" for nowt.

Pothas

Appreciate that Itv have actually bothered to go to the tournament but ****ing hell what is tht studio?!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Attempted to avoid ITV commentary by going to the Lass o Gowrie in Manchester which advertised football in your own language. Sadly we got a seat in front of the big screen which they put ITV on but they had Spanish tv on a smaller screen which was 4 seconds ahead of ITV so everytime anything interesting happened the reaction of the other half of the bar told us what had happened before we saw it. Left at half time. WAFD

cpr

International Coach
What a silly idea, the TV's in the Lass are really close together to IIRC, big screen hangs down near the toilets, pointing towards the bar, then 2 yards away (though pointing back down the pub) they tended to have the other. Chaos if your trying to show 2 different things.

Mind you, organization and the Lass do not go hand in hand. Quiz night in there invariably ends up in disaster.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Carragher's accent is more of a parody than Harry Enfield's scousers, tbh. If I didn't know better I'd say he was taking the Mickey Bliss.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Put it on mute and go and do something else or change the channel whilst the ITV pundits are on tbh. Can't stand Chiles, find Southgate to be annoying and talk a load of rubbish, can't listen to Carragher's voice, Vieira doesn't seem to be paying attention half the time, Keane also annoying. Strachan not bad. Bring back Robbie Earle imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Given that carragher's accent doesn't bother me for obvious reasons, Ive enjoyed his punditry. Was hoping he'd say a bit more about Evra though, thought he was gonna have a mini rant then.

Adrian Chiles asking him about Steven Gerrard every five minutes is ****ing annoying though. They're mates eh, who knew? Swear to god Chiles was decent when he started out on the beeb.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Given that carragher's accent doesn't bother me for obvious reasons
I'd have said it would annoy you more. Nothing worse than travesties of one's own accent. Bugs the **** out of me when I hear dodgy attempts at the Fen brogue.

Carragher's is like a bad impression of a scouse accent.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His accent just sounds the same as a lot of Liverpool lads though. Obviously someone like a Gerrard or Aldo isn't as severe but walk into any city centre bar and it's ten a penny.

grecian

Being sober for an England match, I actually listened to the commentary, and honestly how ****ing embarrassing is Clive Tyldesley. His jingoistic outpourings, his fanboyism (Scott Parker was **** last night Clive, not some sort of demi-god collossus), and his just totally wrong reading of the game in England's favour. It made me relieved when Andy Townsend was talking, and god that takes some doing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think it says something about how bad the BBC are when it comes to football coverage that ITV are blowing them out the water despite the presence of Adrian Chiles and Andy Townsend in their team.