Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Btw is it just me who doesn't get why the media are making such a big deal about Rio's omission? I haven't been expecting him to go at any point tbh.
    It's all about the underlying story with cap'n racist I think, the press always looking for dirt.

It's an unnecessary sideshow IMO, cost Capello his job, and is going to be a story that won't go away. All for a clapped out, slow as hell thug.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I believe Roy actually said to the press today to stfu about Rio albeit more politely.

And I'd rather neither Terry nor Ferdinand had gone. Terry is trouble and Ferdinand would worry me.

Could actually see the back four being three quarters of Chelsea's couldn't we, with the RB being ex Chavs as well.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Completely random thought I just had, but Terry got his main international break due to Rio's drugs ban and now ends Rio's international career by racially abusing his brother (or for footballing reasons)

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Can't really fathom, at all, how Downing got into the squad. Johnson should have been in regardless of what he contributed to City because he is no doubt talented and performed well when he has played for England. One of few England players who can create something out of nothing. Glad Ox is there because he is quality and this tournament will serve to help his development as a player. He could have a Muller-like tournament if trusted.

IMO the other notable omission was Carrick. Without him, England really lack a midfielder with his passing range and ability to dictate play. I wish Scholes would have given it one last hurrah. Can't really complain much about the rest IMO. It is what it is.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    It's all about the underlying story with cap'n racist I think, the press always looking for dirt.

It's an unnecessary sideshow IMO, cost Capello his job, and is going to be a story that won't go away. All for a clapped out, slow as hell thug.
    That's pretty much it. If Terry hadn't have been picked there'd be no story. Just two aging, disagreeable and past it centre-halves whose time was over.

Incidentally, I hadn't realised until I read it in today's Independent that Rio has never made a Euro squad: not picked in 2000, banned in 2004, we didn't make it at all in 2008 and not picked again this time around.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Rio would definitely have been a better shout than Terry for all kinds of reasons but taking neither is fine with me.

Leaving Carrick out isn't a terrible decision- Parker, Barry, Gerrard and Lampard all have perfectly reasonable cases- but Henderson as the backup instead of Carrick, while not a make-or-break decision, really makes me wonder about Hodgson. Either he's made a comically huge balls-up or there's something we're not privy to.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Leaving Carrick out isn't a terrible decision- Parker, Barry, Gerrard and Lampard all have perfectly reasonable cases
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    A club with more major trophies than any other English club regard him as their best ever captain. Whatever doubts there are around his form and fitness - which there undoubtedly are - there is no way he has been lolworthy in his role as captain.

I actually agree with Grecian who has said a few time that it's a role which there shouldn't be much emphasis on in football but for me Gerrard is the obvious captain in that squad and has been since Beckham stepped down.
    I agree on Gerrard probably being the next logical choice after Terry, but he has only played about 33 minutes for England in a long time. And he dropped Rio in his own words apparently because he had played 1 game for england in the same duration.
    Last edited by Cevno; 16-05-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Leaving Carrick out isn't a terrible decision- Parker, Barry, Gerrard and Lampard all have perfectly reasonable cases- but Henderson as the backup instead of Carrick, while not a make-or-break decision, really makes me wonder about Hodgson.
    Seems like Carrick rejected that option though, not Hodgson not leaving him out.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Yep wanted to be sure he'd have a decent role within the setup so wouldn't have wanted to be standby. Told the FA that months ago that he's semi-retired because he was tired of straddling the bench and getting dropped when he'd done well for the Gerrard-Lampard horror show. (The part after and my reading of it not what he's reportedly told the FA/Hodgson)
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Your reading of it would be all well and good if he'd ever actually done well for England in the first place.

Was decent in the 06 WC, when he got a chance

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    He's the type of player English people tend to rate much lower than everyone else. And, probably as a consequence, the type of player the national team always seems to be missing.

Simon Champion!
    Haha, AWTA.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    He's the type of player English people tend to rate much lower than everyone else. And, probably as a consequence, the type of player the national team always seems to be missing.
    Who needs a player who can calmly retain possession? Get it to Gerrard and get it forward.
    ​63*

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information