Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Tbf to Defoe (and I don't really rate him either), he's only bettered his Premiership goalscoring record for this season on two previous occasions. Once in 04/05 and once in 09/10. He's not going to set the world alight, but at least you know what you're getting with him. It's not like there are a line of decent alternatives lining up to take his spot either.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Downing's a lolbad decision. Can only assume him being a left-footer has got him the gig.

No issue with Lennon being left out; unnecessary pick with Theo in the squad. Wouldn't have carped unduly if Lennon had being picked ahead of Walcott, but having both is pointless as they're pretty much the same player.

Terry is a crap call too. Even leaving aside the fact picking a bloke with a charge of racism hanging over him being a questionable decision at best, he's just not very good anymore. Whatever pace he had has long since gone and he's constantly exposed. Jagielka has been royally stiffed.

& Henderson on stand by?Jesus...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'm hoping the old guard being picked is a one shot deal for this tournament and he plans on a bit of a shake-up for the WC quals as he doesn't have much time to impose himself for this tournament. For example while I personally feel Gerrard should have been made captain as soon as Beckham stepped down but I wouldn't retain him in the role once the Euros are done. Give it to Hart or even Wilshire after that and start actually building a team.

Of course that goes out the window if we do well so it will be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Personally I'd like to offer respect to the huge individual effort it takes to miss three penalties and fail to score with 72 shots on target; a feat that can only be achieved by the invincible Stewart Downing.

Dead set piss take of a squad IMO, an almost embarrassing amount of dross. Terry's inclusion over Rio is joke enough but the omissions of Carrick, Richards and Jagielka, and the inclusion in of Downing, beggar belief. I've not always been Carrick's strongest advocate but he was the best English midfielder in the Premier League this season, and by some distance in my opinion. I reckon Sturridge can count himself pretty unlucky as well.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I'm hoping the old guard being picked is a one shot deal for this tournament and he plans on a bit of a shake-up for the WC quals as he doesn't have much time to impose himself for this tournament. For example while I personally feel Gerrard should have been made captain as soon as Beckham stepped down but I wouldn't retain him in the role once the Euros are done. Give it to Hart or even Wilshire after that and start actually building a team.

Of course that goes out the window if we do well so it will be interesting.
    The appointment of Gerrard as captain is truly lolworthy as he has been horrible in that role with his club for some time and it virtually ensures that a better player (Lampard on recent form) wont get much time

Weakens the team on 2 fronts IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Dead set piss take of a squad IMO, an almost embarrassing amount of dross. Terry's inclusion over Rio is joke enough but the omissions of Carrick, Richards and Jagielka, and the inclusion in of Downing, beggar belief. I've not always been Carrick's strongest advocate but he was the best English midfielder in the Premier League this season, and by some distance in my opinion. I reckon Sturridge can count himself pretty unlucky as well.
    The thing is it's not as if he's leaving world beaters at home. I think there's better alternatives for a few of the positions but it's not as if not playing Carrick is going to make or break England's tournament to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The thing is it's not as if he's leaving world beaters at home. I think there's better alternatives for a few of the positions but it's not as if not playing Carrick is going to make or break England's tournament to be fair.
    That's a fair point, I could have worded that better - as much as I despair of the selections you're right that the well is pretty dry. I was chatting to a mate last night about the striker situation - we're all wondering about who of Welbeck or Carroll will start for England, when it wasn't that long ago you had blokes of the quality of Robbie Fowler or Les Ferdinand struggling to get a game.

In short, it's a bad squad.

Longer answer would be it's ****ing dreadful

One redeeming feature is The Ox, IMHO.

Doesn't mean it's a good squad selection, but it would've been very easy to leave him out.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    No problems with Walcott going. Obviously not a fantastic player, but has some spark about him, and I'd be interested to see how many other English players managed more goals/assists than he did last season. In any case, he's genuinely quick, and the team hardly has any other players who have any pace whatsoever.
    Adam Johnson has a much better ratio of goals/assists per minute played.

I don't expect Marc to recognise class being a Warwickshire and Coventry supporter. But Adam Johnson is light years ahead of Milner (complete plodder, great work rate and trains really hard but he has no quality). Johnson always looks like he belongs whenever he plays and whoever he plays for. I hope he moves to a club that doesn't **** him about so he can get in a full season.

Generally speaking I agree with most that the squad is ****e.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    The appointment of Gerrard as captain is truly lolworthy as he has been horrible in that role with his club for some time and it virtually ensures that a better player (Lampard on recent form) wont get much time

Weakens the team on 2 fronts IMO
    A club with more major trophies than any other English club regard him as their best ever captain. Whatever doubts there are around his form and fitness - which there undoubtedly are - there is no way he has been lolworthy in his role as captain.

I actually agree with Grecian who has said a few time that it's a role which there shouldn't be much emphasis on in football but for me Gerrard is the obvious captain in that squad and has been since Beckham stepped down.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Adam Johnson has a much better ratio of goals/assists per minute played.

I don't expect Marc to recognise class being a Warwickshire and Coventry supporter. But Adam Johnson is light years ahead of Milner (complete plodder, great work rate and trains really hard but he has no quality). Johnson always looks like he belongs whenever he plays and whoever he plays for. I hope he moves to a club that doesn't **** him about so he can get in a full season.

Generally speaking I agree with most that the squad is ****e.
    I'm a huge Johnson fan, but when your own manager criticises you in public there's obviously some attitude issues to address.

Bottom line is if you're not getting a gig for your club I don't think you an expect a tournament slot. Though Defoe hasn't been a regular this season has he?

Btw is it just me who doesn't get why the media are making such a big deal about Rio's omission? I haven't been expecting him to go at any point tbh.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information