• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Like "Barnes", hopefully.

Edit: Though obviously, they may know that one already. Give or take a few expletives either side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Probably just because I was young and don't really remember but Hoddles side played decent stuff didn't they?
Yup, our draw in Rome to win the qualifying group is one of the more underrated England results of the last couple of decades.

Say what you like about the old cripple kicker, he did have a style of play he believed in & 3-5-2 isn't necessarily a defensive line-up with the right wing-backs. Was the formation that Robson employed to take us to the semis in 1990 too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yup, our draw in Rome to win the qualifying group is one of the more underrated England results of the last couple of decades.

Say what you like about the old cripple kicker, he did have a style of play he believed in & 3-5-2 isn't necessarily a defensive line-up with the right wing-backs. Was the formation that Robson employed to take us to the semis in 1990 too.
Was a great performancr. Completely outdid Italy at their own game.

Still think El Tel's side is the best England side I've seen. How McManaman wasn't capped more is beyond me.

cpr

International Coach
Always ended up out on the left, due to no other option. Never really shone for England for that reason. Always thought he was a fantastic player.

What I never got was how Lee Sharpe, the most gifted left footer this countries seen since god knows who, only ever won 8 caps

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was a great performancr. Completely outdid Italy at their own game.

Still think El Tel's side is the best England side I've seen. How McManaman wasn't capped more is beyond me.
Not sure but I think it had something to do with him not being very good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What I never got was how Lee Sharpe, the most gifted left footer this countries seen since god knows who, only ever won 8 caps
Same reason he ended up at Bradford & was pretty much out of the game by 30, tbh. He was a fat snatch rat who wasted his talent. Didn't want it enough.

grecian

Same reason he ended up at Bradford & was pretty much out of the game by 30, tbh. He was a fat snatch rat who wasted his talent. Didn't want it enough.
Him and his Bro played for us, they were both crap, but John was less crap, which says a lot for an ex young player of the year.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not sure but I think it had something to do with him not being very good.
McManaman was an outstanding player, easily one of the top 5 English players of the 90s.

You don't go to Real Madrid and hold your own for 4 years if you're not very good.

grecian

McManaman was an outstanding player, easily one of the top 5 English players of the 90s.

You don't go to Real Madrid and hold your own for 4 years if you're not very good.
Think we've had this argument before TBH. I don't care how well he did for his club sides, like Barnes before him he rarely did it for England.

cpr

International Coach
Once he got properly crocked at Leeds, yes, he basically coasted out his career on his reputation.

Before that though, when fit he was fantastic for us most of the time. Sure you can put his excess injuries down to his lazyness at times, but he did have a bit of bad luck too (you dont get meningitis by being slouchy in training)

Still, only 8 caps in 4 years, and people like Andy Sinton playing instead....

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if you play all of terry and rio and fat frank and that old liverpool guy in the same team you deserve to lose to ukraine

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Once he got properly crocked at Leeds, yes, he basically coasted out his career on his reputation.

Before that though, when fit he was fantastic for us most of the time. Sure you can put his excess injuries down to his lazyness at times, but he did have a bit of bad luck too (you dont get meningitis by being slouchy in training)

Still, only 8 caps in 4 years, and people like Andy Sinton playing instead....
The answer to your question is 'Graham Taylor'

He had Carlton Palmer in his side FFS

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm becoming inceasingly pessimistic of our chances of even making it out of the group. France are on the up after their world cup debacle, we've only beaten Sweden once since 1968 and our last game is against the hosts, who defeated us in qualifying for the 2010 WC.
To which you could add our quite diabolical record in euros that weren't played in England.
From memory, failed to get past the group stage in 1980, 1988, 1992 and 2000.
Managed to get past the group stage in 2004.
Didn't even qualify in 1984 and 2008.

I'm off to the nearest bookie.

grecian

Was wondering if we should have an England thread, so we can witter away to our spleens content, and real football teams can be left to real football threads.

Anywhoo good and bad news here.

Obviously the good that Smalling is injured and the bad that Wellbeck is fit...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was wondering if we should have an England thread, so we can witter away to our spleens content, and real football teams can be left to real football threads.

Anywhoo good and bad news here.

Obviously the good that Smalling is injured and the bad that Wellbeck is fit...
Smalling has a groin issue then.

Turns out he's a bollocks defender.

EyeThangEwe. Old ones are the best, Missus. Try the peas. :ph34r: