Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 473

Thread: Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

  1. #16
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,983
    Probably just because I was young and don't really remember but Hoddles side played decent stuff didn't they?

  2. #17
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,367
    I'm worried you guys will do well, there's been a complete lack of the "this is surely our year" bull**** which is traditional for this time of year.

  3. #18
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,983
    Was by far the best thing about Arry not getting the job.

  4. #19
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Probably just because I was young and don't really remember but Hoddles side played decent stuff didn't they?
    Played two wing-backs and three centre-halves, don't remember it being thrilling. I thought he wasn't a bad manager though, and we've had worse styles of play.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman


  5. #20
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    49,110
    No idea what to think about our chances, largely because of what Grecian said about us not knowing who will be in the side.

    This tournament is probably seen by the powers that be as a stepping stone towards the next two years, rightly or wrongly. Definitely a sense of there being a lot less to lose than any tournament I can remember. Certainly don't have my hopes up too high which can only be a good thing.

    My daughters have informed me they want to watch the games with me. I guess they will learn some new words.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  6. #21
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    32,468
    Like "Barnes", hopefully.

    Edit: Though obviously, they may know that one already. Give or take a few expletives either side.

  7. #22
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,780
    Calling it now, England to get to the semis.
    ★★★★★

  8. #23
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Probably just because I was young and don't really remember but Hoddles side played decent stuff didn't they?
    Yup, our draw in Rome to win the qualifying group is one of the more underrated England results of the last couple of decades.

    Say what you like about the old cripple kicker, he did have a style of play he believed in & 3-5-2 isn't necessarily a defensive line-up with the right wing-backs. Was the formation that Robson employed to take us to the semis in 1990 too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  9. #24
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,367
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yup, our draw in Rome to win the qualifying group is one of the more underrated England results of the last couple of decades.

    Say what you like about the old cripple kicker, he did have a style of play he believed in & 3-5-2 isn't necessarily a defensive line-up with the right wing-backs. Was the formation that Robson employed to take us to the semis in 1990 too.
    Was a great performancr. Completely outdid Italy at their own game.

    Still think El Tel's side is the best England side I've seen. How McManaman wasn't capped more is beyond me.

  10. #25
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,184
    Always ended up out on the left, due to no other option. Never really shone for England for that reason. Always thought he was a fantastic player.

    What I never got was how Lee Sharpe, the most gifted left footer this countries seen since god knows who, only ever won 8 caps
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  11. #26
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Was a great performancr. Completely outdid Italy at their own game.

    Still think El Tel's side is the best England side I've seen. How McManaman wasn't capped more is beyond me.
    Not sure but I think it had something to do with him not being very good.

  12. #27
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    What I never got was how Lee Sharpe, the most gifted left footer this countries seen since god knows who, only ever won 8 caps
    Same reason he ended up at Bradford & was pretty much out of the game by 30, tbh. He was a fat snatch rat who wasted his talent. Didn't want it enough.

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Same reason he ended up at Bradford & was pretty much out of the game by 30, tbh. He was a fat snatch rat who wasted his talent. Didn't want it enough.
    Him and his Bro played for us, they were both crap, but John was less crap, which says a lot for an ex young player of the year.

  14. #29
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,367
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Not sure but I think it had something to do with him not being very good.
    McManaman was an outstanding player, easily one of the top 5 English players of the 90s.

    You don't go to Real Madrid and hold your own for 4 years if you're not very good.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,730
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    McManaman was an outstanding player, easily one of the top 5 English players of the 90s.

    You don't go to Real Madrid and hold your own for 4 years if you're not very good.
    Think we've had this argument before TBH. I don't care how well he did for his club sides, like Barnes before him he rarely did it for England.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Greatest Test Bowling Spells - A working project
    By Days of Grace in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 28-01-2012, 06:04 AM
  2. Playing test cricket in their 40s
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-11-2005, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •