• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
And his effort in the second half has made those performances look like Messi against a pub side.

Anyway. Ugh.
Can't believe he lasted the full game, was shockingly poor.

The win is what matters and all three goals were quality, but this Sweden team is dire and it's concerning that they went as close as they did to winning this.

Still, I would have been a little worried if England needed a win against Ukraine to progress but I think a draw is surely manageable.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't one of Young's good games. Seemed more interested in being the hero than making the right decisions. Slow to pass, or not passing at all in some positions.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Still, I would have been a little worried if England needed a win against Ukraine to progress but I think a draw is surely manageable.
The sort of match you'd think England would balls-up for sure. If they win, it'd have a big effect on the team. Draw, and there is still a little uncertainty.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was he actually on the pitch? I'd happily see the reborn Walcott or Ox in his place against Ukraine.
Yea, I'd quite happily have Walcott and Ox play. Milner just isn't good enough and Young looks awful and doesn't particularly fit anywhere in a 4-4-2.

God they just showed Johnson's og. Didn't realise he topped things off by hacking at the ball with his wrong foot. Village.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
God they just showed Johnson's og. Didn't realise he topped things off by hacking at the ball with his wrong foot. Village.
He was at fault for playing Mellberg onside. But, to his credit, he had 2 goal-saving tackles and put in a beautiful ball for Terry which he missed but eventuated into a goal anyway.

Q for the Poms: keep Carroll and Wellbeck or bring in Rooney?

I guess if Roy doesn't get the desired result he'll be damned either way. If he brings in Rooney and he doesn't do anything and England lose: why did you break up a promising partnership to bring in a 'cold' player? If he doesn't start Rooney and they lose: why didn't you bring Rooney, he is our best player?

Last edited:

Pothas

Well it was certainly a fun game, was basically like watching a good match between two crap premiership teams.

Agent TBY

International Captain
He also played two Swedes onside (by miles, might I add) in the build-up to the goal. It was almost entirely his fault. (I think it was him, anyway.)

Last edited:

Agent TBY

International Captain
Also Rooney quite simply has to start, IMO. Apart from all the obvious reasons, his natural position on the pitch will also allow Gerrard and Parker to play just the little bit deeper and give the defence more passing options. Carroll didn't really do much apart from his goal, he won a bunch of headers but most of them resulted in nothing. The last one could've led to a goal though, if Gerrard had just let the Ox make the simple tap-in.

On the back of this game, Rooney/Welbeck/Ox/Walcott, please.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Walcott and Carrol are both best used as impact players.

Didn't even notice this subforum until just now. Thankfully Ireland are already out so my incoherent guinness soaked sob-posting will never find this forum.

grecian

Wow that was ****ing brilliant. I disliked Woy, I disliked Terry, I disliked so many players, and midway through the second half I was proved right imo.

Yet I'm so ****ing happy I was wrong, we utterly rode our luck, and yet we did everything we need to win, it wasn't pretty but it worked. I've seen many better england performances end in embarrrasment. Oh and what a finish by Danny, what an impact from Theo, what a header from Carroll, what a cross from Stevie, what a challenge from Johnson, we may not have deserved it, but individuals stood up and made me proud.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's nice to be coming back from the boozer to talk about a win for once.

Have to say I thought everyone (bar Milner) put in a good shift today. The defending for the Swedish goals was village, but generally it was a decent showing.

Was instructive how much Feo's pace scared the Swedes; God bless Milner, but he's very short at this level. Hopefully Woy will play Feo or the Ox from the start against the Ukraine.

& massive props to Welbeck; has been our best player over the two games. His work tracking back is unbelievable. Full credit to Woy for taking him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Q for the Poms: keep Carroll and Wellbeck or bring in Rooney?

I guess if Roy doesn't get the desired result he'll be damned either way. If he brings in Rooney and he doesn't do anything and England lose: why did you break up a promising partnership to bring in a 'cold' player? If he doesn't start Rooney and they lose: why didn't you bring Rooney, he is our best player?
Not convinced that Welbeck and Carroll are a promising partnership, even if they did both score. The shape of the team was noticeably better against France with Young playing (admittedly poorly) between the midfield and Welbeck, so I fully expect Rooney to play in that position against Ukraine. Tough call between Welbeck and Carroll though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Rooney for Carroll IMO and I'm a big fan of the latter. As BrUmby said, Wellbeck has been our best player thus far. Carroll did very well but Rooney is one of our only players that the top sides would look at and think 'yeah we'd have him in our squad' and we certainly aren't in a position to leave him out if he's fit.

In other news, my mouth is dryer than the Sahara, my head is bouncing, I can't walk in a straight line and I would feel sick if I hadn't already thrown everything up last night. Victory comes at a price eh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Rooney for Carroll IMO and I'm a big fan of the latter. As BrUmby said, Wellbeck has been our best player thus far. Carroll did very well but Rooney is one of our only players that the top sides would look at and think 'yeah we'd have him in our squad' and we certainly aren't in a position to leave him out if he's fit.

In other news, my mouth is dryer than the Sahara, my head is bouncing, I can't walk in a straight line and I would feel sick if I hadn't already thrown everything up last night. Victory comes at a price eh.
Lol.

Was woken up fully clothed on my settee by a phone call from my mother at about 7.45 to tell me she had the decorators in (not a euphemism: she's in her 60s) with the remains of a chilli naan sandwich all down the front of my 2000 vintage England shirt.

Managed to resist the urge to ask "Why the **** are you calling to tell me this?" & am now dying quietly.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great to see Welbeck getting some recognition. Never been less pissed off by an England winner.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not convinced that Welbeck and Carroll are a promising partnership, even if they did both score. The shape of the team was noticeably better against France with Young playing (admittedly poorly) between the midfield and Welbeck, so I fully expect Rooney to play in that position against Ukraine. Tough call between Welbeck and Carroll though.
Not sure they will be a great partnership either but they did more than score. Both were tireless and were to be found plenty of times helping out in their own half. Welbeck ran well into the channels and Carroll won everything in the air, put it on the floor and pushed forward. Those are very important roles in a 4-4-2 and they did it well. That they both scored wonderful goals is even better.

I tend to agree that Rooney has to come in, but for who I am not sure? I think both played really well and I am not sure which one would be a better partnership for Rooney. I am leaning towards Carroll because if nothing else he'll be dangerous on set pieces and will defend the opposition's well too. Having said that, Rooney and Wellbeck will already have some sort of understanding having played together.

Last edited: