Cricket Player Manager
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Yeah, clearly cannot be nice for him, my sympathies to him and his family.

Beginning to wonder if this England squad is cursed though, seems players are dropping like flies for a variety of reasons. Can't recall any international squad which has lost so many players in such a short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    The level of bitching from the scumbag tabloids is quite amazing. Terry got picked over Rio, why the **** would you bring Rio in later if players are injured? The reasoning behind not picking both in a squad still stands.
    Not if there were 'footballing reasons' for not taking Ferdinand. Or at least, not as I understand the phrase. If Hodgson believed that Cahill, Lesott and Jagielka are better bets, then fine. But Kelly? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yeah, clearly cannot be nice for him, my sympathies to him and his family.

Beginning to wonder if this England squad is cursed though, seems players are dropping like flies for a variety of reasons. Can't recall any international squad which has lost so many players in such a short space of time.
    It's extraordinary,isn't it. Closest I can think is one of two English cricket squads circa 1990s and early 2000s, but even they weren't as bad as this.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I mean, you can argue it if your look really is to the future. Those guys are gonna start ahead of Rio - in Hodgson's eyes - and Kelly is going along because he is the future and there is no need to take Rio as Kelly is barely going to play anyway.

On the whole, it looks ****ty because one can argue that Rio is better than all of England's CBs. Hodgson got leeway in the beginning with the "football reasons" and "preparing for the WC". But he has taken that inch and gone a mile. But it's done. Everyone - media, fans and colleagues - need to get over it and support the team now.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I mean, you can argue it if your look really is to the future. Those guys are gonna start ahead of Rio - in Hodgson's eyes - and Kelly is going along because he is the future and there is no need to take Rio as Kelly is barely going to play anyway.

On the whole, it looks ****ty because one can argue that Rio is better than all of England's CBs. Hodgson got leeway in the beginning with the "football reasons" and "preparing for the WC". But he has taken that inch and gone a mile. But it's done. Everyone - media, fans and colleagues - need to get over it and support the team now.

Or we can be disgusted that a man we all saw being racially abusive on video is seemingly getting preferential treatment over the brother of the abusee, and not give a **** what happens to England Football Team.

FFS we've spent years trying to clear racism from the terraces/seats, and this is all so ****ing poor. Terry is crap, old and objectionable, I won't support a team with him in it.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Kelly isnít very good though and if you canít get a first team gig in a poor Liverpool side at right back or centre half to nonentities like Daniel Agger, then you are not much to tell Mum and Dad about. One of the worst selections I can remember. Kelly will know he isn't there on footballing grounds, teammates will know as well.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Or we can be disgusted that a man we all saw being racially abusive on video is seemingly getting preferential treatment over the brother of the abusee, and not give a **** what happens to England Football Team.

FFS we've spent years trying to clear racism from the terraces/seats, and this is all so ****ing poor. Terry is crap, old and objectionable, I won't support a team with him in it.
    I never paid a lot of attention to it but from the video I saw Terry repeated what Anton thought he said sarcastically as if he never said it. That may be totally wrong but that is all I know of it.

I am not really defending Hodgson, just saying there is a logical reason for every choice. It just isn't the most popular choice most people would have made when you compare him to all the players taken instead of him and that makes the situation incredulous - especially because of the circumstances around it.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Kelly isn’t very good though and if you can’t get a first team gig in a poor Liverpool side at right back or centre half to nonentities like Daniel Agger, then you are not much to tell Mum and Dad about. One of the worst selections I can remember. Kelly will know he isn't there on footballing grounds, teammates will know as well.
    People really don't rate Johnson here but he is IMO the best English RB. This year he had improved on the lapses he used to have defensively - although not stamped them out entirely. Going forward, he has no equal at RB and provides a lot of width.

Kelly could take over from Johnson and do well - lots of 'Pool fans think he should already be the RB and Johnson should play LB (for some reason Johnson looks far more assured defensively on the left). Agger a non-entity? He's the best CB Liverpool have and whenever he is fit we tend to have our best periods. I'd also say he is amongst the best CBs in the league and one of the few who could actually play in leagues demanding more technical skills. The fact that he hasn't replaced Johnson or Agger doesn't mean he is a bad player - not even close. He is, outside of a drastic change of fortune, a player who will have a long career for Liverpool. Defensively, Liverpool had the 3rd best record in the league and has had a strong defence throughout Kelly's career. Liverpool overall had a bad year but the defence is always good so you're mistaken if you think Liverpool is a poor side in that sense.

I don't think Kelly is really taking Rio's position in terms of his role in the team. Kelly will be the RB back-up and Jones will now be the CB back-up. Which IMO is even worse than the Kelly comparison because at his own club Jones is behind Rio in the pecking order. I think Hodgson's reasoning defeats itself though when you talk about Kelly and compare him to Micah. If youth is the aim, then Richards is both young and more advanced than Kelly. I guess we won't know though since he refused to be on the standby list.
    Last edited by Ikki; 07-06-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Defoe left the squad after death of his father. Feel for him despite him being a bit of a prat.
    Out for good or out temporarily?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Out for good or out temporarily?
    Just temporarily. No replacements been called up.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australiaís Darren Lehmann is a Ďblatant loserí insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Simon Champion!

Liked How Evra rubbed it in.

And now Blanc as well -

http://www.givemefootball.com/intern...-not-sporting?
    Last edited by Cevno; 07-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Lets keep this conversation to the Euros. Debate over old topics covered before and trying to attribute or shift blame regarding the controversies of the past football season are not for here, and posts to that effect will not be looked upon fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Lets keep this conversation to the Euros. Debate over old topics covered before and trying to attribute or shift blame regarding the controversies of the past football season are not for here, and posts to that effect will not be looked upon fondly.
    What?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Presumably referring to Cevno bringing up the Suarez/Evra thing which was a joy to discuss earlier in the season
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Presumably referring to Cevno bringing up the Suarez/Evra thing which was a joy to discuss earlier in the season
    Yeah, I thought it may have been about bringing up Terry's thing, which is blatantly apposite to the bunch of cretinous nobodies Hodgson is taking, IMHO.

Evra is commenting on it too, along with Wenger and 'arry.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    WTF?

I was referring to this comment by Evra about Dropping Rio-

Euro 2012: Patrice Evra cannot believe Rio Ferdinand is not in England squad | Mail Online

Bringing in Suarez/Evra thing and debate over old topics and shifting blame regarding Controversies of the past ? FMD.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information