• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I watch a fair bit of French football and I don't really see the hype about how good a season Cole supposedly had. For a start he rarely got through the 90 minutes, and he had about two good games in the second half the season after the winter break.
Oh when I said decent season, I just meant stayed fit and showed glimpses, which is more than some of the people in the squad. Don't really think he should be there in an ideal world, but this England side is far from ideal. Johnson and Carrick should be ahead of him too.

Yet they should all be ahead of Jordan.

Yet as Brumbers said we have next to no skill levels in this squad.

Scaly piscine

The level of bitching from the scumbag tabloids is quite amazing. Terry got picked over Rio, why the **** would you bring Rio in later if players are injured? The reasoning behind not picking both in a squad still stands.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, clearly cannot be nice for him, my sympathies to him and his family.

Beginning to wonder if this England squad is cursed though, seems players are dropping like flies for a variety of reasons. Can't recall any international squad which has lost so many players in such a short space of time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The level of bitching from the scumbag tabloids is quite amazing. Terry got picked over Rio, why the **** would you bring Rio in later if players are injured? The reasoning behind not picking both in a squad still stands.
Not if there were 'footballing reasons' for not taking Ferdinand. Or at least, not as I understand the phrase. If Hodgson believed that Cahill, Lesott and Jagielka are better bets, then fine. But Kelly? Really?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, clearly cannot be nice for him, my sympathies to him and his family.

Beginning to wonder if this England squad is cursed though, seems players are dropping like flies for a variety of reasons. Can't recall any international squad which has lost so many players in such a short space of time.
It's extraordinary,isn't it. Closest I can think is one of two English cricket squads circa 1990s and early 2000s, but even they weren't as bad as this.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I mean, you can argue it if your look really is to the future. Those guys are gonna start ahead of Rio - in Hodgson's eyes - and Kelly is going along because he is the future and there is no need to take Rio as Kelly is barely going to play anyway.

On the whole, it looks ****ty because one can argue that Rio is better than all of England's CBs. Hodgson got leeway in the beginning with the "football reasons" and "preparing for the WC". But he has taken that inch and gone a mile. But it's done. Everyone - media, fans and colleagues - need to get over it and support the team now.

grecian

I mean, you can argue it if your look really is to the future. Those guys are gonna start ahead of Rio - in Hodgson's eyes - and Kelly is going along because he is the future and there is no need to take Rio as Kelly is barely going to play anyway.

On the whole, it looks ****ty because one can argue that Rio is better than all of England's CBs. Hodgson got leeway in the beginning with the "football reasons" and "preparing for the WC". But he has taken that inch and gone a mile. But it's done. Everyone - media, fans and colleagues - need to get over it and support the team now.

Or we can be disgusted that a man we all saw being racially abusive on video is seemingly getting preferential treatment over the brother of the abusee, and not give a **** what happens to England Football Team.

FFS we've spent years trying to clear racism from the terraces/seats, and this is all so ****ing poor. Terry is crap, old and objectionable, I won't support a team with him in it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Kelly isn’t very good though and if you can’t get a first team gig in a poor Liverpool side at right back or centre half to nonentities like Daniel Agger, then you are not much to tell Mum and Dad about. One of the worst selections I can remember. Kelly will know he isn't there on footballing grounds, teammates will know as well.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Or we can be disgusted that a man we all saw being racially abusive on video is seemingly getting preferential treatment over the brother of the abusee, and not give a **** what happens to England Football Team.

FFS we've spent years trying to clear racism from the terraces/seats, and this is all so ****ing poor. Terry is crap, old and objectionable, I won't support a team with him in it.
I never paid a lot of attention to it but from the video I saw Terry repeated what Anton thought he said sarcastically as if he never said it. That may be totally wrong but that is all I know of it.

I am not really defending Hodgson, just saying there is a logical reason for every choice. It just isn't the most popular choice most people would have made when you compare him to all the players taken instead of him and that makes the situation incredulous - especially because of the circumstances around it.

Kelly isn’t very good though and if you can’t get a first team gig in a poor Liverpool side at right back or centre half to nonentities like Daniel Agger, then you are not much to tell Mum and Dad about. One of the worst selections I can remember. Kelly will know he isn't there on footballing grounds, teammates will know as well.
People really don't rate Johnson here but he is IMO the best English RB. This year he had improved on the lapses he used to have defensively - although not stamped them out entirely. Going forward, he has no equal at RB and provides a lot of width.

Kelly could take over from Johnson and do well - lots of 'Pool fans think he should already be the RB and Johnson should play LB (for some reason Johnson looks far more assured defensively on the left). Agger a non-entity? He's the best CB Liverpool have and whenever he is fit we tend to have our best periods. I'd also say he is amongst the best CBs in the league and one of the few who could actually play in leagues demanding more technical skills. The fact that he hasn't replaced Johnson or Agger doesn't mean he is a bad player - not even close. He is, outside of a drastic change of fortune, a player who will have a long career for Liverpool. Defensively, Liverpool had the 3rd best record in the league and has had a strong defence throughout Kelly's career. Liverpool overall had a bad year but the defence is always good so you're mistaken if you think Liverpool is a poor side in that sense.

I don't think Kelly is really taking Rio's position in terms of his role in the team. Kelly will be the RB back-up and Jones will now be the CB back-up. Which IMO is even worse than the Kelly comparison because at his own club Jones is behind Rio in the pecking order. I think Hodgson's reasoning defeats itself though when you talk about Kelly and compare him to Micah. If youth is the aim, then Richards is both young and more advanced than Kelly. I guess we won't know though since he refused to be on the standby list.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Liked How Evra rubbed it in. :laugh:

And now Blanc as well -

http://www.givemefootball.com/internationals/blanc-ferdinands-omission-not-sporting?

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lets keep this conversation to the Euros. Debate over old topics covered before and trying to attribute or shift blame regarding the controversies of the past football season are not for here, and posts to that effect will not be looked upon fondly.

grecian

Lets keep this conversation to the Euros. Debate over old topics covered before and trying to attribute or shift blame regarding the controversies of the past football season are not for here, and posts to that effect will not be looked upon fondly.
What?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Presumably referring to Cevno bringing up the Suarez/Evra thing which was a joy to discuss earlier in the season

grecian

Presumably referring to Cevno bringing up the Suarez/Evra thing which was a joy to discuss earlier in the season
Yeah, I thought it may have been about bringing up Terry's thing, which is blatantly apposite to the bunch of cretinous nobodies Hodgson is taking, IMHO.

Evra is commenting on it too, along with Wenger and 'arry.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
WTF?

I was referring to this comment by Evra about Dropping Rio-

Euro 2012: Patrice Evra cannot believe Rio Ferdinand is not in England squad | Mail Online

Bringing in Suarez/Evra thing and debate over old topics and shifting blame regarding Controversies of the past ? FMD. :laugh: