Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

Your traditional penalty box striker has all but disappeared from the very top level though. The three top strikers in the world (Messi, Ronaldo, van Persie) all started their careers as wingers.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I get what Scaly is saying about Downings delivery, he puts decent balls into the box which you'd expect a predatory striker to send goalwards - a Rooney, a Drogba etc.

Problem is he's been firing it at a half asleep Carroll all year.

If Liverpool had a decent striker all year (not against Suarez here, he isn't the 6 yard predator type, he needs a partner), I reckon Downing might've had 5 more assists easily. Just a shame that would take him up to the still crap total of 5.

Still, least he's got a big target to hit them to in the shape of Andy Car..... ****
    KKK went with the strategy of playing Downing and Carroll together as little as was possible. He mostly substituted one for the other.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Whilst I'd prefer him over Henderson, and comfortably so, I don't at all like this "not now, maybe next time" attitude that a couple of players seem to have adopted in respect of international call ups. If you're not good enough to get a regular call up then take it on the chin and either grin and bear it or make yourself permanently ineligible. Shouldn't allow oiks who've previously refused to play to come crawling out of the woodwork and say they want to participate again when the situation is more favourable to them.
    Last edited by sledger; 31-05-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I get what Scaly is saying about Downings delivery, he puts decent balls into the box which you'd expect a predatory striker to send goalwards - a Rooney, a Drogba etc.

Problem is he's been firing it at a half asleep Carroll all year.

If Liverpool had a decent striker all year (not against Suarez here, he isn't the 6 yard predator type, he needs a partner), I reckon Downing might've had 5 more assists easily. Just a shame that would take him up to the still crap total of 5.

Still, least he's got a big target to hit them to in the shape of Andy Car..... ****
    Yeah, but it's such a limited ask for an International player, get the ball in the right areas, stay on the wing and track back. It's what you ask and expect from a lower division player, and that's him at his mythical best.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Yeah, it's a skill set you'd expect of to find in someone playing in that position at more or less any level.
    If Downing actually excelled in this regard then he would be alright, but he really doesn't, and any good fullbacks at the top level aren't going to be troubled by him. So many times you see him get forced out wide, and his cross fails to clear the first man. Rubbish.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Your traditional penalty box striker has all but disappeared from the very top level though. The three top strikers in the world (Messi, Ronaldo, van Persie) all started their careers as wingers.
    Hmm they've disappeared from the best club teams but they're still sometimes useful at international level. Guys like Klose, Baros etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Reckon they'd always be useful if you could find one that was good enough tbh.

Only if they contribute to general play which someone like Klose actually does, it's a striker like Van Nistelrooy who is a truy dying breed but there is still a role for a proper front to goal striker, Falcao being the best current example.

The old fashioned target man is still somewhat useful at international level as well, if Carroll actually brings his half decent version of himself to the tornament he could useful in an ugly sort of way.

Despite being very ordinary in the CL final, Bayern's Gomez generally contributes very little other than goals

So Cahill out now and yet another bloody Liverpool player called up.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Don't understand why Micah Richards wasn't at least next in line

Means Jones and Jagielka are the backups centre halves then.

Cahill a big loss but at the same time Lescott a more than capable replacement IMO

Reminds me of the 02 WC with all these injuries
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Why call up yet another Victimpool player?

What has Micah Richards done wrong?

Either Richards has ****ed Woy's missus or he's plannung an elaborate troll on Liverpool fans.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    This is where Woy's made a massive rod for his back.

There's no way on God's earth Kelly is a better centre half than Rio, but obviously with Captain Racist in the squad Ferdinand isn't going to be called up.

Mind you, Terry's supposed to have a dodgy hamstring that might yet rule him out, so you never know.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information