• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D Discussion - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well Kelly has surely been called up as Johnson's backup with Phil Jones now acting mainly as centre-back cover??

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well Kelly has surely been called up as Johnson's backup with Phil Jones now acting mainly as centre-back cover??
Even stranger call then. Why bring in someone who doesn't at least nominally cover the vacated position? Jones was presumably always covering RB, CH & DM anyway.

My guess is that if Johnson was injured Milner would've been more likely cover than Jones anyway.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Kelly does cover CB. Is the U-21 CB IIRC. But hasn't played there in a level comparable to the Euros. They really should have taken Micah.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair, the reasons for leaving out Kelly are the same for Richards really.

Think Micah may have blotted his copy book by refusing the invitation to be on standby when the initial 23 was named.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wonder, if like Johnson, there are concerns over his general attitude, really can't see any reason for him not to be included otherwise.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair, the reasons for leaving out Kelly are the same for Richards really.

Think Micah may have blotted his copy book by refusing the invitation to be on standby when the initial 23 was named.
Must be a typo

Kelly wasnt selected originally because he isnt good enough for Liverpool, let alone England

Anyway, as an outsider, it's hilarious to see a mid-table club dominating the squad - must be one of the worst English teams in history

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I wonder, if like Johnson, there are concerns over his general attitude, really can't see any reason for him not to be included otherwise.
I think that is a distinct possibility. Personally I'd have had him in as one of 2 right backs in the squad as soon as Walker was ruled out, but for him to be ignored for so long now, there must be a real reason behind it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, as an outsider, it's hilarious to see a mid-table club dominating the squad - must be one of the worst English teams in history
It beggars belief. Fast losing interest in watching any of it. Busy playing sport myself on the night of the 2nd group game so missing that one anyway.

Can't get over how many poor Liverpool players have made the squad. They aren't even regulars for them some of them as well.

Eds

International Debutant
Having watched Kelly through the Reserve side, and thus far for the Seniors, I'd suggest he's actually more of a centre-half than a full-back.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think that is a distinct possibility. Personally I'd have had him in as one of 2 right backs in the squad as soon as Walker was ruled out, but for him to be ignored for so long now, there must be a real reason behind it.
Think it surely has to be the reason, or at least a partial reason. It just beggars belief, that a player who played 29 games last year in a title winning side (and pretty well in the majority of them from what I can gather), has been overlooked in favour of a player who hasn't played 29 Premiership matches in his entire career.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say this Rio thing is looking more and more unedifying. I honestly think I want us to get humiliated in this tournament. Certainly makes me look back fondly on the days of Capello.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Think it surely has to be the reason, or at least a partial reason. It just beggars belief, that a player who played 29 games last year (and pretty well in the majority of them from what I can gather), has been overlooked in favour of a player who hasn't played 29 Premiership matches in his entire career.
Could use this for Johnson over Chamberlain tbh, doesn't mean a lot IMO

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Think Jagielka will be the first centre-back cover with Jones more of a utility back up at RB/DM/CB.