• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to Euro 2012

cpr

International Coach
Hart confirming why I selected Sack of Cabbages before him for my England XI

Chance for Lampard to hit the post now

cpr

International Coach
Frank gets lucky a weak penalty isnt saved there, doesnt really inspire confidence from the spot that boy

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Harsh on Downing. Probably could've hit the target I guess, but that's not where the game was lost.

Capello is a freaking terrible manager for England. I have no idea why you persist with him.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez, there are some properly crap players playing for England these days. Glen Johnson definitely wasn't an international footballer last I checked, and Milner/Walcott is a pretty painful step down from Beckham/Cole.

I guess it mirrors the sudden dip in the quality of the domestic league.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harsh on Downing. Probably could've hit the target I guess, but that's not where the game was lost.

Capello is a freaking terrible manager for England. I have no idea why you persist with him.

Okay. I'll bite, WTF is Capello meant to do, we've got ****e players, the ones who are less ****e can't be bothered to play for us. Lampard and Ferdinand may well of phoned their performances in today. Johnson, Baines, Downing, these people would barely get in Scotlands side.

We need to totally over-haul our game at the youth level, emphasizing skills and technique, not strength and endeavor, or else we'll carry on falling behind. There has been talk of this happening, but I'm yet to see any results.

We're **** and the more talk about it being down to foreign players and managers is just taking the attention away from the points that matter. Actually pretty allegorical of all British life ATM.

Uppercut

Lampard and Ferdinand may well of phoned their performances in today
:laugh: will definitely steal that.

There's a tongue-in-cheek article in issue zero of the blizzard about how this is all Roy of the Rovers' fault for forming the basis of every English gameplan since 1970. Worth a look, it's available on pay-what-you-like.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
^ btw, I now understand a little about how you feel about NI's 'success' recently.

Artist's impression of Norway's tactic vs Portugal today.

(Thankfully they lost 0-1)

Redbacks

International Captain
:laugh: will definitely steal that.

There's a tongue-in-cheek article in issue zero of the blizzard about how this is all Roy of the Rovers' fault for forming the basis of every English gameplan since 1970. Worth a look, it's available on pay-what-you-like.
Is he the guy who advocated the long ball based on the thoery, time in the box = more chances at goal and thus long direct passes to a forward..? Apparently this theory was popular for a long time. It's amazing given the level of sophisitication in the English cricket anaylsis.

Given Australian football media hail from the continent and love to blame the 'English Mafia' for why Australian football was so poor outside of the influx of Greeks/Italians/Serbs/Croats post WW2, here's a list of what we have been told over the years as to why England struggle to keep up with the continentals in terms of technique. With heart/passion and all that other bollocks being held equal.

a) Initially only teachers could coach the game. Compare this to the high levels of structure in the Italian system and others where exhaustive theoretical debate took place between former players.
b) The working class roots have really affected the theory behind the game. Equalisation of work expected from all players leading to people to question if the inbetween striker/forward type player e.g. like Maradona (forgetting he's an argie f***er) would have struggled to get a game as a youngster, small, slow and not really fitting to the rigid 4-4-2. Some creative players who float in and out of games or don't 'get stuck in' would fail to win crowd approval.
c) cold weather, too much running around at training instead of teaching skills.
d) Pride, invented the game so what can 'they' teach us.
e) Too much emphasis on power, thus in juniors the 6 month younger guys usually struggle vs the more developed players in their age groups, although they might have more technical ability. (Germany made this adjustment to thier junior system after the 98 QF loss to croatia, and believe the class of WC2010 to be showed fruit of this theory, plus they have won a heap of junior tournaments).
f) EPL is great to watch but, outside the top few, it's really a myriad of mistakes if you watch it closely and critically (Jose made this comment in his first press conference as Inter Manager 'Italians are professionals who see football as a job and manage their bodies/outlook accordingly, English players enjoy playing so much I can't get them to take rests (Lampard) and they just want to have fun rather than see the bigger picture).
g) Too concerned about the ends rather than the means. Press feed this circus to a hungry crowd.
h) Not enough small sided games for kids.
i) England are naturally crap and bottle it under pressure (The Aussie ungrounded pub theory :), maybe we stole that from them).

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Okay. I'll bite, WTF is Capello meant to do, we've got ****e players, the ones who are less ****e can't be bothered to play for us. Lampard and Ferdinand may well of phoned their performances in today. Johnson, Baines, Downing, these people would barely get in Scotlands side.

We need to totally over-haul our game at the youth level, emphasizing skills and technique, not strength and endeavor, or else we'll carry on falling behind. There has been talk of this happening, but I'm yet to see any results.

We're **** and the more talk about it being down to foreign players and managers is just taking the attention away from the points that matter. Actually pretty allegorical of all British life ATM.
I disagree. While there might be a few things I don't think you have (a system the players are comfortable with, desire to win, a right back haha), one thing I believe you have is the talent. Maybe not to be the best in the world, but around the Top Eight.

I just don't see any cohesion with the England unit, which after thee (?) years of being here, I would have thought Capello would bring.

I see cohesion with Australia frbs, and we don't have anywhere near the talent you do.

duffer

No real big deal though. You guys will qualify, just won't win.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I disagree. While there might be a few things I don't think you have (a system the players are comfortable with, desire to win, a right back haha), one thing I believe you have is the talent. Maybe not to be the best in the world, but around the Top Eight.

I just don't see any cohesion with the England unit, which after thee (?) years of being here, I would have thought Capello would bring.

I see cohesion with Australia frbs, and we don't have anywhere near the talent you do.
It's hard to get a cohesive unit because you're playing with different players in a different system and Capello gets the players for a week max 4 or 5 times a season.

The reason Spain are such a cohesive unit is because 6 or 7 of them play together at Barcelona. All the great national sides have been based around a core of players who play together at club level.

vcs

It's hard to get a cohesive unit because you're playing with different players in a different system and Capello gets the players for a week max 4 or 5 times a season.

The reason Spain are such a cohesive unit is because 6 or 7 of them play together at Barcelona. All the great national sides have been based around a core of players who play together at club level.
Wasn't the case with France '98-'00, was it?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Even if they master the Strength,Pace,Fitness and Endeavour aspect they would do pretty well.
The whole Emphasising Skill and Technique thing is a bit overplayed in the English media specially since Spain and Barca etc... started doing well.

Every country has to find a distinct style that suits their players best and have the players to fully implement it and they would do well if they are cohesive at it.
Don't have to play tippy tappy keep possesion football only.And as Arsenal would tell you even that is not succesful at all levels.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't the case with France '98-'00, was it?
Doubt the Brazillians have had many players playing together at one side for the last 3 decades atleast either or maybe more.Even the Argentinians.

Obviously it helps Spain that there are so many Barca players, but it is not something which has not been overcome in the past.

grecian

Even if they master the Strength,Pace,Fitness and Endeavour aspect they would do pretty well.
The whole Emphasising Skill and Technique thing is a bit overplayed in the English media specially since Spain and Barca etc... started doing well.

Every country has to find a distinct style that suits their players best and have the players to fully implement it and they would do well if they are cohesive at it.
Don't have to play tippy tappy keep possesion football only.And as Arsenal would tell you even that is not succesful at all levels.
I've been going on about it for years, I've watched us at countless tournaments, not even be able to do the basics right. The thing is we used to be able to get by, with the strength and endeavor, but now all top-class teams are incredibly fit as well. So our other weaknesses are coming even more to the fore. If you don't retain possesion in modern football, you get found out. Nobody is asking us to become Spain, but just keeping the ball for more then 3 passes would do me. Name one successful National side in the modern era, that didn't keep the ball. Even Greece did it better then us when they won the Euros.