• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to Euro 2012

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The fact that Scholes is still probably one of the best options available is a sad indictment on the quality of the rest of the players available to be honest. Would be somewhat embarrassing to have to trot out a player who only came out of retirement to help out with an injury crisis at his club as a first choice selection for the national team. That said, shouldn't cut your nose off to spite your face etc...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Midfield is the least of your worries, whilst England are short of genuine quality in the middle of the park, they've got the makings of a decent midfield.

I'd be far more concerned with the complete lack of options up front (Frazier Campbell?) and the joke of a defence you'll be fielding.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that Scholes is still probably one of the best options available is a sad indictment on the quality of the rest of the players available to be honest. Would be somewhat embarrassing to have to trot out a player who only came out of retirement to help out with an injury crisis at his club as a first choice selection for the national team. That said, shouldn't cut your nose off to spite your face etc...
Hmm, this got me thinking of intellectually dishonest ways to represent a player's quality. "It's a sad indictment of the City midfield that a player who neither of the good Spanish sides thought was worth taking on is now the first name on their team sheet."

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hmm, this got me thinking of intellectually dishonest ways to represent a player's quality. "It's a sad indictment of the City midfield that a player who neither of the good Spanish sides thought was worth taking on is now the first name on their team sheet."
Yeah but come on, the situation I described and the one you've put forward here are entirely different and you know it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Can't remember ever having that feeling to be honest. I think the first and last time I ever believed England would win a bit game rather than hoped they would was the Euro 96 Semi-final.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but come on, the situation I described and the one you've put forward here are entirely different and you know it.
Haha what you said was a pretty heavy misrepresentation though, I think it's the lawyer in you coming out. Replace "a player that just came out of retirement..." with "Paul Scholes" and see how silly that sentence sounds.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Ox being a must for the England squad.

Basically I just want a squad and a team I want to watch, that's exciting. If I see the same old failures trotting out like Lampard, Gerrard, Terry and so on I will be pissed off. Some of the selections in the last World Cup were an absolute travesty. I didn't want to see ****ing Wright-Philips doing his frog in a blender impression when Adam Johnson was rotting back in England. Joe Cole getting a gig because his Chelsea mates thought he should play.

I want to see Ox, Adam Johnson, Parker, Wilshere, Cleverley, Phil Jones etc.

Basically a team that plays without fear and gives it a go, like Germany in the last World Cup. They probably knew they weren't going to win it but they showed what they could do and built for the future.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha what you said was a pretty heavy misrepresentation though, I think it's the lawyer in you coming out. Replace "a player that just came out of retirement..." with "Paul Scholes" and see how silly that sentence sounds.
Haha but it's not a misrepresentation at all! The veracity of what I said cannot be questioned!