• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to Euro 2012

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He'd be behind Parker, Barry, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard for starters.
:laugh: Jones ****s on him tbh. How Barry still gets a gig after the last World Cup is beyond me. Worst aspect of the game on Wednesday night was seeing the Dutch line-up with two hatchet men in midfield (albeit one had a stormer - van Bommel) and England countering that with the limited Parker and the ultra-limited Barry.

Jones is nowhere near the finished product but there is no young English footballer who is dynamic as he. Forget about playing centre half for now, that looks like a pipe dream giving how he has being continually exposed there but as a centre midfielder he looks the business.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh: Jones ****s on him tbh. How Barry still gets a gig after the last World Cup is beyond me. Worst aspect of the game on Wednesday night was seeing the Dutch line-up with two hatchet men in midfield (albeit one had a stormer - van Bommel) and England countering that with the limited Parker and the ultra-limited Barry.

Jones is nowhere near the finished product but there is no young English footballer who is dynamic as he. Forget about playing centre half for now, that looks like a pipe dream giving how he has being continually exposed there but as a centre midfielder he looks the business.
That is bollocks, Wilshere and Rodwell are 2 young English players who are far better than Jones in midfield. That doesn't even include guys like Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and many more who are far better midfielders than Jones will ever be.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That is bollocks, Wilshere and Rodwell are 2 young English players who are far better than Jones in midfield. That doesn't even include guys like Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and many more who are far better midfielders than Jones will ever be.
What part? Bit silly to say a kid who has already shown to be very talented won't be half the player Gareth Barry was/is. Gareth Barry is best remembered in an England shirt for chasing Bastian Schweinsteiger's shadow, when the two met again earlier this season, Barry again was introduced to Bastian's shadow. Nothing against Barry, I think he is a solid club pro but he isn't international class, Jones is and will be even more so in the future. I never said he was a better midfielder than Wilshere and Rodwell (he is though) but as neither is fit, it is a bit of moot point to bring those guys into the equation. If I am picking from one of Gerrard, Lampard, Barry and Jones, then I see no reason on current form why Jones shouldn't play.

cpr

International Coach
Pretty sure he said 'at the moment' at least once. Considering Wiltshire hasn't kicked a ball all year, and is at the hands of the Arsenal Butchers/Medical team.....

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure he said 'at the moment' at least once. Considering Wiltshire hasn't kicked a ball all year, and is at the hands of the Arsenal Butchers/Medical team.....
Pretty sure he said (he is though). He also said Jones is international Class, something I haven't seen myself. Think there may be a bit of Blackburn bias there. Jones not ready, will be, but he hasn't a defined role for club or country, shouldn't be considered for this Tournament.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If Jones lives up to his billing then a Jones/Wilshere midfield pairing would be fantastic I reckon.

In other news, AVB for England manager!

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would take Wilshere on one leg tbh

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure he said (he is though). He also said Jones is international Class, something I haven't seen myself. Think there may be a bit of Blackburn bias there. Jones not ready, will be, but he hasn't a defined role for club or country, shouldn't be considered for this Tournament.
That was in reference to Rodwell.

Uppercut

I've never been able to figure out what it is Jack Rodwell's supposed to be good at.

They could end up playing Carrick. I've never met anyone who doesn't hate him at least a little bit but fact is he's been miles better than all the other English midfielders bar Parker this season.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Would say he's come on a bit in the last year or so tbh. Either that or the decline of the Utd midfield has just demonstrated that he was good all along.

In any case, I don't think he's a fantastic footballer by any means, but he's hardly terrible. Would rather see him in the England midfield than Lampard or Gerrard. Or Gareth Barry.

Last edited:

Uppercut

He's definitely much better this season than last. It's made a pretty big difference for United, especially away from home.

Plenty of limitations still. He doesn't press properly, although that'd be less of a problem alongside Parker than it is with Scholes or Giggs. He does almost nothing at either end of the pitch, so by playing him instead of Gerrard or Lampard you're definitely cutting a few goals out of the side. He makes huge mistakes in important matches, which isn't exactly a quality you want in the Euros. I suspect players love having him on their side because his simple passing game makes everyone else's job much easier, but I don't think the opposition particularly minds facing him either. The biggest point in his favour is that when he doesn't play, England are crying out for a player that can play a few simple passes in midfield and keep the game under control. Wilshere and Cleverley can both do that as well as bringing a bit of energy in defence and creativity going forward, but since they're crocked, I think it has to be Carrick.

Also, unlike most of his generation, he's done well for England before.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I think you'll cut the amount of goals by not picking Gerrard or Lampard, but you'll probably also cut the amount of goals conceded, and certainly the amount of times possession is lost pointlessly. Ball retention is definitely a huge problem for England though, the team seems to have problems with basic simple passing, always looking to play really direct or go with ambitious passes, seems like they're instilled with a mentality which makes it unacceptable to pass the ball any direction other than forward. Carrick the best choice for combating this problem I would say.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Michael Carrick is Butch Wilkins and I claim my five pounds. Master of the five yard square ball.

TBH I'd be looking at Scholes if he's up for it. There's been a few "will come back if asked" type stories around, just as there were before his club unretirement.

The Ox a must too, IMHO. Showed versus Milan he's even a midfield option. See a bit of Rooney in him, actually. Doesn't quite have Whine's first touch, but does possess the same direct running and bull-like physique.