• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to Euro 2012

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Na, Joe Cole is the most overrated player since I have been watching football. At least Parker does the nitty gritty and isn't a fancy dan.

Not convinced he is a long term captain but i'm happy he got nod over the thug Gerrard.
Well, your opinion about Joe Cole is fair enough, yet Joe has an incredible work-rate and covers tons of ground, so not sure why he's a fancy dan.

Yet Parker is a man who managed to get a Writers award for player of the year last year, despite not featuring in the PFA team. For what, keeping the Irons up with his five goals and three assists, oh no, they went down didn't they. Now that's about as over-hyped as you can get.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Whatever Gerrard's virtues as a player, I don't think he's a natural captain, so it could just be Pearce wants the better leader of men to have the armband. From his interviews I think we can safely say Stevie's not one of nature's great orators & I imagine Pearce likes a bit of fist pumping from his skipper.

Wilshere's the obvious long term option tho; never like keepers as captain.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's this sort of thinking that stops England from competing for titles. All this sort of bull**** about oh Gerrard's a big name, I trust him and so forth. Then we flop out of the tournament with complacent big names doing nothing. The hype and bull**** surrounding guys like Gerrard, Terry, Joe Cole etc. kills the national side.

PICK YOUR BEST TEAM. Don't give a **** about the big names and the egos. The one time England won something was when they had someone who was single minded and put some discipline into the side. Capello unfortunately went along with the media as well. Who in their right mind would have picked Joe Cole in the last World Cup?
Except I didn't say we should pick him because he's a bigger name, the implication was clearly that I consider Gerrard a better player and have seen nothing to suggest he is past it. IMO there is simply no way Gerrard is not part of our best team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
"Whoever he or she is..."

I think we can all safely assume the FA won't be appointing a female manager, with all due respect.

Scaly piscine

Except I didn't say we should pick him because he's a bigger name, the implication was clearly that I consider Gerrard a better player and have seen nothing to suggest he is past it. IMO there is simply no way Gerrard is not part of our best team.
No you consider Gerrard a better player because you've swallowed the hype and now you're contributing to it. You might not be aware you're part of it but you can surely see how easily influenced people are and how much effort goes into plugging Liverpool players in particular. The big team players have a much better chance of playing for England and also for attracting hype. The commentators all play a part in it with the way they go on. Gerrard in this match for instance has hoofed it fairly hopelessly twice (at least) and Townsend has said 'unlucky, good idea blah blah' when what he should really say is what a **** choice of pass that was and not very well executed. It's that sort of thing on a subconscious level that makes players seem better than they are. It happens everywhere to some degree because it is a very subjective game.

Also your location might have something to do with it.

grecian

No you consider Gerrard a better player because you've swallowed the hype and now you're contributing to it. You might not be aware you're part of it but you can surely see how easily influenced people are and how much effort goes into plugging Liverpool players in particular. The big team players have a much better chance of playing for England and also for attracting hype. The commentators all play a part in it with the way they go on. Gerrard in this match for instance has hoofed it fairly hopelessly twice (at least) and Townsend has said 'unlucky, good idea blah blah' when what he should really say is what a **** choice of pass that was and not very well executed. It's that sort of thing on a subconscious level that makes players seem better than they are. It happens everywhere to some degree because it is a very subjective game.

You've also totally missed the point that if GIMP was so easily influenced by media twonks, he would believe that Parker was World-Class.

England players, on the whole, are all over-hyped, you tend to only mention the hype of the players you don't like though.

Making you not a superior free-thinker, but just like the rest of us schlubs, with differing opinion on players.

cpr

International Coach
Exhibit A: Liverpool vs Newcastle, Gerrard's first game since the long-term injury(s). He came on and was absolutely phenomenal, changed the pace of the game, every ball was pin-point, and he even made Andy ****ing Carroll look like a Premier League footballer.
Still maintain its because Carrolls the only one tall enough to get onto his Hollywood balls :ph34r:

Well, your opinion about Joe Cole is fair enough, yet Joe has an incredible work-rate and covers tons of ground, so not sure why he's a fancy dan.
Big fan of Joe when fit. Gets labelled fancy dan as he can do that sorta thing, but his work rate was sterling too. Like Gerrard, spent a lot of time out of position etc, except its fair to say he still created an impression there, unlike Stevie.

I imagine Pearce likes a bit of fist pumping from his skipper.
Cashley? (alleg.)

My problem with Gerrard is he can control a game, when the opposition let him. He's not a player to take a game by the scruff of the neck and turn it around. If his teammates arn't up for it, or the opposition are closing the midfield down, he doesn't really do anything to change that - and thats where the Hollywood ball tag comes in, as he's prone to waste it looking for that incision. Compare him to Scholes who'll wrestle a midfield back by gradually controling the pace with short passes, then pick out a good long ball.

As I type, Stevie just ignores a simple pass in an open midfield inside the Dutch half with a chip to row 4.....

grecian

Big fan of Joe when fit. Gets labelled fancy dan as he can do that sorta thing, but his work rate was sterling too. Like Gerrard, spent a lot of time out of position etc, except its fair to say he still created an impression there, unlike Stevie.
It was a rhetorical question TBH, I knew the answer, it was because anyone with technical flair get's called a fancy dan in this country, which is probably a reason why we're always hopeless.

Scaly piscine

You've also totally missed the point that if GIMP was so easily influenced by media twonks, he would believe that Parker was World-Class.

England players, on the whole, are all over-hyped, you tend to only mention the hype of the players you don't like though.

Making you not a superior free-thinker, but just like the rest of us schlubs, with differing opinion on players.
Oh give over, have you seen the reaction from morons over Parker being captain?

Parker has only been hyped in the past few months when the media is doing their thing of catching up and going over the top to compensate for lost time. The hype will never compare to that of Gerrard.

The comment on Parker winning an award for when West Ham got relegated is typical of the sort of nonsense people spout. Because yea you can judge a midfield player on assists and goals... what a load of ****.

cpr

International Coach
Missed the first 15, but nice to see Richards back, looking good so far.

Am liking what i've seen, and the team has seemed to have a nice look about it. Welbecks a better impact sub ATM, but with Rooney banned for being a moron and Bent injured....

Scaly piscine

Can see why Capello didn't like Richards, he's a bit uncultured and naive at times. Still a much better option than Terry naturally because of the physicality.

cpr

International Coach
Reckon he offers more at the back than Johnson, but can still break well down the right.

grecian

Oh give over, have you seen the reaction from morons over Parker being captain?

Parker has only been hyped in the past few months when the media is doing their thing of catching up and going over the top to compensate for lost time. The hype will never compare to that of Gerrard.

The comment on Parker winning an award for when West Ham got relegated is typical of the sort of nonsense people spout. Because yea you can judge a midfield player on assists and goals... what a load of ****.
Your ignoring the many morons that say Parker is an old-fashioned "proper" captain, Talksport are really happy. Morons are everywhere in football, stand on the terraces some time.

Crap match this BTW.

BIB, No I judged him on not making a team of his peers, which he never has done, unlike Cole, and Gerrard. You will now say football players are thick, yet on this occasion you want to take the Press's word for it, in their awards. Again your defending kudos for a player you like.

I said Gerrard's over-hyped, so really no reason for you to keep on going on at me, for it.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Your ignoring the many morons that say Parker is an old-fashioned "proper" captain, Talksport are really happy. Morons are everywhere in football, stand on the terraces some time.

Crap match this BTW.

BIB, No I judged him on not making a team of his peers, which he never has done, unlike Cole, and Gerrard. You will now say football players are thick, yet on this occasion you want to take the Press's word for it, in their awards. Again your defending kudos for a player you like.

I said Gerrard's over-hyped, so really no reason for you to keep on going on at me, for it.
Of course footballers are thick, bloody exhibit A is doing the commentary on ITV. Most of the journalists are thick too. I've not said one way or another whether the award was merited just saying 'his team got relegated and he had x assists and y goals what a joke' is an utterly ridiculous thing to say and typical of the crap that infests football arguments.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

No I consider Gerrard a better player because of what I've seen of him when I've watched him play. With all due respect Scaly, I enjoy your posts whether I agree with you or not but who the **** are you to tell me why I've formed my opinions?

My location doesn't really have anything to do with anything here either, I mean sure I've experienced more Gerrard hype than any other poster in this thread aside from CDM but so what?

I'm biased on heaps of issues but unless Bolton players are playing for England then you can trust that I've come to my opinion objectively. And as grecian said, I'm not falling for hype because I don't buy into the Parker machine.

Scaly piscine

Gets beaten too easily at times and lets people get a shot in when they really shouldn't. ie a little uncultured or naive.

Stronger and infinitely faster than Terry = greater physicality.

I thought it was self-explanatory.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Crap match this BTW.

Durham and Goughy certainly weren't, Durham in particular spitting with rage, although he seems to feel about Parker like Scaly does Gerrard