• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to Euro 2012

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And I can only presume that 'never done it for England' translates to 'our best player in the last World Cup'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I suspect the 120 minutes on Sunday means Gerrard won't be starting tonight, so can't be captaining the side.

Either way, I'm not sure it makes much difference as Pearce will surely only be in charge for 1 game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh no doubt, but the whole 'he's always been **** for England' is a ****ing huge myth. Fairly sure I've posted at length before about why it's a load of bollocks. Gerrard has seldom played his best position for England yet never really let England down, unless you class 'not playing like he does for Liverpool despite not being asked to play like he does for Liverpool' as letting England down.

Edit - @sledger.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I suspect the 120 minutes on Sunday means Gerrard won't be starting tonight, so can't be captaining the side.

Either way, I'm not sure it makes much difference as Pearce will surely only be in charge for 1 game.
According to Stan Collymore, Gerrard starts

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh no doubt, but the whole 'he's always been **** for England' is a ****ing huge myth. Fairly sure I've posted at length before about why it's a load of bollocks. Gerrard has seldom played his best position for England yet never really let England down, unless you class 'not playing like he does for Liverpool despite not being asked to play like he does for Liverpool' as letting England down.

Edit - @sledger.
Actually Gerrard plays for England just as he does for Liverpool, that's the problem. At international level you don't get away with a comically bad first touch and then blundering in with two feet to get the ball back. You don't get away with trying the Hollywood ball every other pass. You give the ball away cheaply and you won't get it back for a good minute or two. Gerrard's game translates badly away from Liverpool and he's been massively over-rated to begin with. Good Premier League player, bad international player.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gonna agree to disagree with you because I dont think we could see this any more differently

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Edit - @sledger.
He has done bugger all for Liverpool this season though so regardless of what you think of him, at present I am not sure he deserves a place on merit. Picking players like him and Lampard on reputation has got us a long way in the past hasn't it. They are older slower and not as good now, look to the future.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Gerrard is ten times the player Parker is, give me a ****ing break. ****ing atrocious decision. Hart was the only logical alternative to Gerrard, who over the years had somehow become the GSF equivalent of Matt Hayden.
Parker's been the better player every single weekend for the past two years, it seems strange to expect that to suddenly change just in time for the Euros. Also the competitors for Parker's position are much worse, although it's getting a bit late for Cleverley or Wiltshere to make a case.

Agree about the "never done it for England" jibe though.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
He has done bugger all for Liverpool this season though so regardless of what you think of him, at present I am not sure he deserves a place on merit. Picking players like him and Lampard on reputation has got us a long way in the past hasn't it. They are older slower and not as good now, look to the future.
This post is just so wrong it's not even funny. I should probably just assume you haven't watched Liverpool when Gerrard has[n't] played because the difference between the two sides is just ridiculous. Exhibit A: Liverpool vs Newcastle, Gerrard's first game since the long-term injury(s). He came on and was absolutely phenomenal, changed the pace of the game, every ball was pin-point, and he even made Andy ****ing Carroll look like a Premier League footballer. Every time he's come on and played for us, there's been a noticeable difference. Then there's the "look to the future" argument for Parker as captain, which is equally as ridiculous. There has been talk, rightly, in my opinion, of Gerrard potentially retiring after the Euro's because of age, when this 'new generation' captain, Parker, is the same age.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Parker's been the better player every single weekend for the past two years, it seems strange to expect that to suddenly change just in time for the Euros. Also the competitors for Parker's position are much worse, although it's getting a bit late for Cleverley or Wiltshere to make a case.

Agree about the "never done it for England" jibe though.
I personally think Parker has been overrated this season and that he was more effective last time out. Wouldn't have him near the captaincy and don't think he's a top-class player. Gerrard has obviously missed a lot of this season and has only looked on peak form at times, but who would I rather bank on for the Euros? Gerrard every single time.

Uppercut

Jeez, Liverpool fans are really clinging to that quality half-hour against Newcastle. It's almost as if the ensuing string of ****e performances against Citeh and Bolton and Stoke and Tottenham and United (twice) didn't even happen.

Eds

International Debutant
Jeez, Liverpool fans are really clinging to that quality half-hour against Newcastle. It's almost as if the ensuing string of ****e performances against Citeh and Bolton and Stoke and Tottenham and United (twice) didn't even happen.
As opposed to Parker who hasn't had a single bad performance this season. Obviously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think he was poor in the United Cup game IIRC

EDIT. Might be getting mixed up, not sure, think Liverpool's winner came with him off the pitch but at the time the decision was made to take him off it was a bit of a wtf. He certainly was ****e in the league game though, ****ing hell.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Tbf ****e is an overly harsh description of most of those performances, you never look at a Liverpool game and think, "that Gerrard is one dire player". He's just been totally ineffective at creating chances, scoring goals or controlling possession, with that Newcastle game a glaring exception. Parker's been miles better for two years, that much is beyond doubt.

Eds

International Debutant
Tbf ****e is an overly harsh description of most of those performances, you never look at a Liverpool game and think, "that Gerrard is one dire player". He's just been totally ineffective at creating chances, scoring goals or controlling possession, with that Newcastle game a glaring exception. Parker's been miles better for two years, that much is beyond doubt.
No, no, no. He just hasn't at all. He's improved his passing tenfold over the past few seasons.

Have you actually watched him this season, or even last season?

Scaly piscine

I personally think Parker has been overrated this season and that he was more effective last time out. Wouldn't have him near the captaincy and don't think he's a top-class player. Gerrard has obviously missed a lot of this season and has only looked on peak form at times, but who would I rather bank on for the Euros? Gerrard every single time.
It's this sort of thinking that stops England from competing for titles. All this sort of bull**** about oh Gerrard's a big name, I trust him and so forth. Then we flop out of the tournament with complacent big names doing nothing. The hype and bull**** surrounding guys like Gerrard, Terry, Joe Cole etc. kills the national side.

PICK YOUR BEST TEAM. Don't give a **** about the big names and the egos. The one time England won something was when they had someone who was single minded and put some discipline into the side. Capello unfortunately went along with the media as well. Who in their right mind would have picked Joe Cole in the last World Cup?

grecian

Would rate Stevie G much higher in both categories, even in these two seasons. Agree with gimp about Parker, just average. Wouldn't be displeased if Gerrard never played for England again either, so just wish Pearce had given it to Hart, as he's one of the few certainties in the 2012 side.

Glad Richards and Baines play tonight, both are the future IMHO.

grecian

It's this sort of thinking that stops England from competing for titles. All this sort of bull**** about oh Gerrard's a big name, I trust him and so forth. Then we flop out of the tournament with complacent big names doing nothing. The hype and bull**** surrounding guys like Gerrard, Terry, Joe Cole etc. kills the national side.

PICK YOUR BEST TEAM. Don't give a **** about the big names and the egos. The one time England won something was when they had someone who was single minded and put some discipline into the side. Capello unfortunately went along with the media as well. Who in their right mind would have picked Joe Cole in the last World Cup?
The hype for Scott Parker in the press has far out-reached anything for Joe Cole ever.....

flibbertyjibber

The hype for Scott Parker in the press has far out-reached anything for Joe Cole ever.....
Na, Joe Cole is the most overrated player since I have been watching football, probably as he is a Wet Sham boy as the press jizz over them all the time. At least Parker does the nitty gritty and isn't a fancy dan.

Not convinced he is a long term captain but i'm happy he got nod over the thug Gerrard.