• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Going to Win Euro 2004

Whos gonna win this thing!!!

• Spain (Group A)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greece (Group A)

• Russia (Group A)

• Switzerland (Group B)

• Denmark (Group C)

• Bulgaria (Group C)

• Latvia (Group D)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the Czech Reublic will win it, i just have a feeling that some tough games early on against holland and Germany will help them in the semis, and will win through to the final over france.

Craig

World Traveller
France in theory should win given their squad thay have.

Zinedine needs to be at his best, Henry needs to show his ability when the pressure is really on (think that he went missing v Chelsea in the 2nd leg in the CL), don't rate Fabian Barthez.

Italy should make the final, and should be who i'm tipping for a France v Italy final for a second time.

Alberto Gilardino (sp) was unlucky not to make Italy's Euro 2004 squad after scoring 23 goals for Parma which placed him in second spot in the leading goal scoring list behind Andriy Shevchenko.

Cristiano Zanetti isn't really that inspiring to be honest, a d there have been debate's on a Inter forum whether he is good enough for Inter.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
go the netherlands

one of my fav players edgar davids, he will dominate the midfield!

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
With England's squad, I would say no.

Take out Dyer and put in Defoe and keep old mate Heskey.

I dont care how many times people say he "he is a strong physical presence and worries defenders...", as a striker he is as potent as Daniel Vettori at the moment.

5 goals in 40 appearences isn't exactly inspiring.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Take out Dyer and put in Defoe and keep old mate Heskey.
Erm, Dyer is a back-up midfielder who IMO hasn't had the chances he deserves at International level.

Craig said:
I dont care how many times people say he "he is a strong physical presence and worries defenders...", as a striker he is as potent as Daniel Vettori at the moment.

Vettori isn't a striker though, and isn't feared by the top defenders (or batsmen to put it in context)

Simon

You would hardly say defenders of the quality of Nesta, Stam etc... are quivering in their boots at the prospect of lining up against Emile Heskey.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Statistics don't tell the whole story.... 8-)
But isn't he picked as a striker and I thought they were also supposed to score goal's as well as his "physical presence..."?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Erm, Dyer is a back-up midfielder who IMO hasn't had the chances he deserves at International level.
So what is Owen Hargreaves and Joe Cole? Baggage carriers?

And really 0 goals in 20 appearences, not the sort of record I would want for somebody who can is supposed to play as a back-up striker.

Simon

Craig said:

And really 0 goals in 20 appearences, not the sort of record I would want for somebody who can is supposed to play as a back-up striker.
yeh, but how many times has he played as a striker for england??
not too many, if at all id imagine.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
When fully fit, Dyer is a much better player than either of those 2.

Craig said:

I don't think you could even name one game when he's played up front for England. And I wouldn't mind betting most of those 20 appearances came from the subs bench...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
But isn't he picked as a striker and I thought they were also supposed to score goal's as well as his "physical presence..."?
He provides goals for the other striker, and works very well with Owen up front.

Also, I wonder how many games he's been picked out of position - a fair few on the left wing I seem to remember.

He may not score mountains of goals, but that's not the reason he's in the team primarily.

Craig

World Traveller
If your picking a striker to play left wing, show's tome the lack of depth of left sided midfielders.

Maybe if Alan Thompson played in the Premiership instead of Celtic, he might have been in the team.

And before you say something, this is his natural position.

Simon

an interesting observation...... no one has choosen france to win it yet