• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2004 - pick your starting sides

Craig

World Traveller
England (4-3-1-2)

James

G. Neville - Campbell - Terry - A. Cole/Bridge

Beckham (c) - Lampard - Gerrard

Scholes

Owen - Rooney/Heskey/Vassell or Defoe or Smith (one of these three to get the last spot)

- Heskey only gets picked because of a "strong physical presence" but he needs to contribute more then that. Owen dispate his indifferent form will start, Rooney he hs talent and potential, but to develop he needs to leave Everton and is certainly not the finished article.

- Vassell is ok, Defoe has been a good signing for Spurs and there is Alan Smith. James Beattie isnt quite good enough - he will probbaly have to go aboard to France or Belgium or even Holland to maybe get into the England squad .

- England's defence has taken a hammering with Gareth Southgate and Jonothan Woodgate injured and Rio's suspension.

- Ian Walker will probably get the 3rd goal keeper spot since Kirkland is suspended.

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
France (4-3-1-2)

Barthez
Thuram - Desailly - Gallas/Mexes - Lizarazu/Silvestre

Pires - Veira - Lizarazu???
Zidane
Henry - Trezeguet

Cloete

International Captain
Actually they'd probably shift Pires on the left and then maybe have Dacourt on the right!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So long as Terry and Campbell stay fit and on top form then we're fine for centre backs.

In Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes and Beckham we have four of the finest midfielders in the world and that is why we're going to have to play diamond I think, with Gerrard and Scholes at the points.

Owen at front, with Rooney most likely. I'm not convinced of any of our striking options at present - they all seem goal-shy! Beattie won't get picked because he is, a la Kevin Phillips, not good enough for International football.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Heskey-bashing continues, irrespective of the fact that the way he plays creates so much for the other striker, and also that he is in superb form at the moment.

He is big, strong, quick and he worries the opposition defenders...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
The Heskey-bashing continues, irrespective of the fact that the way he plays creates so much for the other striker, and also that he is in superb form at the moment.

He is big, strong, quick and he worries the opposition defenders...
I like Heskey too.

Time after time when the hub-cap stealers are in trouble he lays one on a plate for Owen - and he does the same for England too. Great nuisance value.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cloete said:
France (4-3-1-2)

Barthez

Zidane
Henry - Trezeguet
No case for Giuly or Rothen then? Both'd do better than Lizarazu or Silvestre, I'd think...especially after what they did to Chelsea.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
But neither can play Left Back.

I for one wouldn't actually pick Desailly.
Nah, but for a left-winger, Rothen certainly has a case - at least over Lizarazu??? in Cloete's line-up...

Craig

World Traveller
Shahid Afridi said:
Italy

Buffon
Nesta Cannavaro Adani/Oddo

Camronesi C.Zanetti Pirlo Zambrotta

Totti Del-Piero
Vieri
Actually Italy play a 4 man defence. And you can swap you can swap Del Piero for Antonio Cassano who plays for Roma.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hasn't Del Piero been told he'll play though - an interview with him the other month suggested that he had.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
For a start I believe Pele commented on him in a very favourable note in the World Cup.
And he considers Hernan Crespo, Jaun Sebastian Veron, and El-Hadji Diouf, Rivaldo as some of football's grestest ever players, yet somebody like John Charles, who was one of Wales greatest ever player didnt get named.

Just because he was a great footballer, doesnt mean what he says is accurate or correct.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Hasn't Del Piero been told he'll play though - an interview with him the other month suggested that he had.
But I ask what has Del Piero done at international level?

Cassano has formed a successfull partnership with Francesco Totti with Roma in the Serie A.

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
France (4-3-1-2)

Barthez

Zidane
Henry - Trezeguet
France (4-4-2)

Barthez

Thuram - Gallas - Mexes - Silvestre