Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey - Player Abuse

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar

Survey - Player Abuse

I have received an email from one of our players questioning the way people are being punished, particularly with regards to people who often trade banter between themselves and, when one decides to use an insult, a line is crossed. This player would like to suggest a change so that individuals can trade insults as banter without any fear of punishment, provided both parties are 'dishing it out'.

I've talked with the player a bit regarding this and we agreed that his proposal is as follows:

"When insults are exchanged between two individuals in a manner that ONLY insults the two individuals and no others directly or indirectly (by means of racism and so forth), it should be pardoned as personal banter."

The flaws in this that I can see at the moment are...

1) When is it okay? How do we know when two players are okay with trading insults? Do we assume they are until they report the other player, or do we assume they are not until they let us know they are alright with things? Is it up to the players involved to do the reporting or can someone else report abuse towards other players? What happens if a player 'assumes' that it was okay to insult someone but the person they insulted did not like it? What happens when someone was okay originally with things that were being said, but then someone insulted them in a way that they thought was going too far, and decided to report them anyway? How far can these insults go?
    2) Reputation. Would this 'allowed abuse' damage the reputation of the CW XI Dev League? Would you guys be okay with being around a group of people who are trading insults that you might see as crude? Would it bother you at all?
    3) Forums Staff Even if this was considered to be okay, obviously the forums staff can decide if someone is crossing the line from tolerable to intolerable when it comes to what they say in their posts. It's possible that James and his staff might not want people to be able to insult each other in such a way.

I would appreciate it if everyone could discuss the proposal and the questions that are posed regarding it in this thread. If most of you are in favour of this proposal then I will pass it on to the captains and CWBCC to discuss further, but for now I'd like to see if this is what the players want - and if the forums will actually allow for it.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    There's a clear distinction between casual banter and actual abuse, IMO. The post that Chaulk got suspended for was obviously abuse, but there's very little of that around really, and I think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup. I've not seen an epidemic of abuse against players, just the usual banter and so on.

I don't really care about abuse either, but if people do want it removed then I'd much prefer that it didn't cut into the banter which is a large part of what makes the dev league actually enjoyable.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

I understand this would relate to insults such as calling people abusive names and so forth. With regards to things such as "haha, you got out", I don't believe that is considered abuse.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    It's a facile argument trying to pretend that there hasn't been banter before. There has been banter for all eleven seasons of the Dev League. Simulations don't function without interaction and competition between people. The difference between then and now is that we were capable of conducting ourselves without every second word being asterisked out.

CWLand isn't a mature audience game. It's supposed to be for everybody; free-for-all abuse isn't for everybody - the same goes for the whole of the forum, it's very easy for a newcomer to be intimidated by a bunch of people with in-talk and in-abuse - even if it doesn't mean anything to you, it will to others. It drags the whole atmosphere down.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    towns can you put that in point form?
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

i personally think, this season it has gotten too much, and has become childish. everyone loves a joke, but seems to me this season has been more about posting crap about tohers than actually the cricket itself
    My 2008/09 stats
    Games: 10 Innings: 10 Nout Outs: 3 Runs: 489 Average: 69.86 Highest: 154 Fifties: 0 Hundreds: 3
    Catches: 7

Now exactly what is going on and what happened? Sorry but I followed nothing but my teams performance during the season and then I start reading these posts and I'm like what happened? Someone mind explaining to me?

What are you confused about? It's all there in the first post, otherwise.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    I understand this would relate to insults such as calling people abusive names and so forth. With regards to things such as "haha, you got out", I don't believe that is considered abuse.
    I am of the opinion that everyone (apart from Halsey) has the right to an opinion and a right to express it. Therefore, if x thinks y is a ****, he has as much a right to tell y he thinks he is a **** as y does to make x the butt of a joke because of some numbers thrown up by some stupid computer program.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    What are you confused about? It's all there in the first post, otherwise.
    Who insulted who and over what?

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    I am of the opinion that everyone (apart from Halsey) has the right to an opinion and a right to express it. Therefore, if x thinks y is a ****, he has as much a right to tell y he thinks he is a **** as y does to make x the butt of a joke because of some numbers thrown up by some stupid computer program.
    Unfortunately for yourself and those that think that way, it seems at this time that the government, the CWBCC, the panel of captains and the majority of players all disagree.

If the majority of players ever do express a desire for more open rights to express opinion in whatever way they see fit, though, then I'll be more than happy to push this matter forward as the view of the Player's Association.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    AFAIC there is far too much disrespect in CW Cricket at the moment. I recently got a little hot under the collar, and I started out something as a joke and have admitted I took it too far, but there were underlying circumstances in certain players continually having a go at my team.

There's nothing worse than going into your own team's thread and finding ridiculous comments from other teams, it's very frustrating.

There is too much swearing going on in posts.

Personally, I don't think people should complain about an abusive post someone has made about someone (unless it's racist etc) and only if the person beigng abused feels it's out of line should report it.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

sometimes i just swear because thats whats in my head.... never mean to hurt anyone and i hope that people realise that these are just "words" even tho i realise that it shouldnt be tolerated i cant help myself.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash chaulk
    sometimes i just swear because thats whats in my head.... never mean to hurt anyone and i hope that people realise that these are just "words" even tho i realise that it shouldnt be tolerated i cant help myself.
    They have support groups for those kinds of things...I think...

The following offenses are punishable by the CWBCC:
    1. Blatant insults directed at Dev League players, teams or coaching staff.

dont insult me

(this is only a joke)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information