Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Proposal: Training

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kears_falcon_9
    then all the players in the system will be superstars. Including the players that have never played a game and are waiting for their chance to play.
    I would personally rather have every player contending than having some players simply unable to improve aside from 1-5 games a season, which really isn't enough to improve at all. Also, I think you overestimate the amount they'd be able to improve. I don't like the idea of someone being able to choose "how hard" they train (ie, being able to increase the risk of injury as they please but also increase the amount they'd improve) as it could easily be abused. I think a simple, standard level should be used across the field. I think somewhere between an improvement of 0.1 to 0.3 would be adequate for batting average. I mean, it doesn't impact anything in a fast or huge way. You'd have to miss three seasons of over 30 games a season just to put your average up 10 runs. I doubt we'd see any instant superplayers, that's for sure. If someone signs in (by posting into a training thread) every day, then good on them for sticking around that long without being able to play a game - they'd deserve the extra runs!
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Looking over Kyle's suggestion, it's great and all, but if it uses a different simming database (which is likely, unless we have at least 22 players per team) then how would it benefit the player in the actual CW Dev League database? Unless Liam will manually edit the improvements, the player would be just as bad / good in the CW Dev League as he was to begin with, and continue to struggle to make the side.

International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    But injuries don't make you any worse
    No, they dont, but that means your not in the team, which sort of makes all that training you went through abosolutely for nothing.
    Member of CW RED

Queensland-Season 7 OD Champions

Currently Managing: NSW

Rahul Dravid: A Real Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    damn mods are more agressive then the teacher's in school that i have'
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    *Sigh* what's the dev league got itself into.

but yeah, i like town's suggestions sound pretty good to me, and would benefit the dev league a lot in my opinion.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    a few comments from me now

1) Signing in to a training thread i think is a great idea

2) I think it would be good if someone other than Liam ran it, Liam has plenty on his plate already with all the simming etc.

3) i would suggest that training takes place just once a week (on a random day) and the simming stats be updated at the end of the season - as anything else would effect current form.

and now for a couple of other random ideas

1) Captains get to chose who gets to train from their team (say the get to chose 5 players per week) this would mean that active players would be rewarded without having to sign in to another thread

i would also have a limit on the training rookies/ experienced players - say the could train 2 rookies at a time but had to train at least 1

2) Training efficiency based on activness of the players (say someone who posts 4 or 5 times a week would not train as effectivley as someone who posts 40 times per week - this would obviously be limited - someone would have to judge how active people were so people dont post garbage so they get better stats)

3) Training benifits limited per season - so players can only improve so much every season.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Coach
    Age has a reasonable idea there actually. If a captain has the choice of 5 players, and he says what specifically he wants them to train. Might slightly benefit the more prominent players in the team though.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I think training might be more useful for the guys that don't get a game, as it makes you fell like your still in the game and by training you are improving your game and therefore increasing your chances to get a game.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Aye, that's right - if the captains got to choose from any of their players, it would only be encouragement for them to further improve already established players rather than to work their backup players up while they aren't playing.

However, if the players that the captain picked had to miss a game for every bit of training they did, then it might work.

Just more things to think about, though, for now. It would be nice to get CWBCC input on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    However, if the players that the captain picked had to miss a game for every bit of training they did, then it might work.

i like the idea. though i do trust all the sides captains to do things in the best interest of the system so i would like to think that the training of players would be something that the captains would share around - if training were capped that would encourage even more sharing around.

this thread could probably be stickied too considering its the only active thread in this forum.

anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

I think you have absolutely hit the nail on the head, age, those are some very good ideas, however, how do you propose to judge the posting of members to make sure its not garbage?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    One idea could be that there is one set of training for all the players that are deemed as active by the board. However they decide who is active is up to them, maybe a training sign up thread each quarter, or general assement of who is active and not. Then there is extra training for the guys that miss out on games and for the contracted players, as well as the guys called up to the national team or the 'A' team.

what are your thoughts Liam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information