• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another Proposal: Training

David

International 12th Man
Well, currently the captains can request morale for players, so perhaps they can also nominate a certain amount of players to "train" to hopefully improve their morale through good performances in the nets. You could have the possibility of either getting worse morale or perhaps injury.

This means that you don't get any permanent effects, but can still change your performances slightly.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
But in ITC (The Sim currently used) You cant change the morale of players manually. or can you? not 100% sure but pretty sure you cant change it ureself

David

International 12th Man
kears_falcon_9 said:
But in ITC (The Sim currently used) You cant change the morale of players manually. or can you? not 100% sure but pretty sure you cant change it ureself
Well if that's the case it's unfortunate.

I don't think training results should be permanent, but to constantly update things game in game out would be too much of a hassle for Liam.

cricketboy29

International Regular
im in favour of training, frankly, because the people sitting on the sidelines game i, game out, can actually improve themselves, giving them a better chance of getting into the team, instead of sitting twidlling their thumbs.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
then all the players in the system will be superstars. Including the players that have never played a game and are waiting for their chance to play.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not against the idea of adding training into the game. However, perhaps next season when we hopefully have more players for squads the schedule could be reconfigured so that captains choose a sqaud of 13 for 2 5Day games and 1 or 2 1Day games for the week, then the players not chosen in that squad are put into two teams that might play only 1 5Day game and 1 1Day game in the same period. This would give the captains some sort of guide as to how the players are performing and would keep the players active. The two teams wouldn't have points or anything but could be considered as trial games or warm up games.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Kyle has a reasonable idea there. Regardless of how many sign-ups we have, don't expand the teams, and then where players aren't playing arrange 2nd XI fixtures of some sort wherever possible.

Loony BoB

International Captain
kears_falcon_9 said:
then all the players in the system will be superstars. Including the players that have never played a game and are waiting for their chance to play.
I would personally rather have every player contending than having some players simply unable to improve aside from 1-5 games a season, which really isn't enough to improve at all. Also, I think you overestimate the amount they'd be able to improve. I don't like the idea of someone being able to choose "how hard" they train (ie, being able to increase the risk of injury as they please but also increase the amount they'd improve) as it could easily be abused. I think a simple, standard level should be used across the field. I think somewhere between an improvement of 0.1 to 0.3 would be adequate for batting average. I mean, it doesn't impact anything in a fast or huge way. You'd have to miss three seasons of over 30 games a season just to put your average up 10 runs. I doubt we'd see any instant superplayers, that's for sure. If someone signs in (by posting into a training thread) every day, then good on them for sticking around that long without being able to play a game - they'd deserve the extra runs!

Loony BoB

International Captain
Looking over Kyle's suggestion, it's great and all, but if it uses a different simming database (which is likely, unless we have at least 22 players per team) then how would it benefit the player in the actual CW Dev League database? Unless Liam will manually edit the improvements, the player would be just as bad / good in the CW Dev League as he was to begin with, and continue to struggle to make the side.

cricketboy29

International Regular
steds said:
But injuries don't make you any worse
No, they dont, but that means your not in the team, which sort of makes all that training you went through abosolutely for nothing.

cricketboy29

International Regular
but yeah, i like town's suggestions sound pretty good to me, and would benefit the dev league a lot in my opinion.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
a few comments from me now

1) Signing in to a training thread i think is a great idea

2) I think it would be good if someone other than Liam ran it, Liam has plenty on his plate already with all the simming etc.

3) i would suggest that training takes place just once a week (on a random day) and the simming stats be updated at the end of the season - as anything else would effect current form.

and now for a couple of other random ideas

1) Captains get to chose who gets to train from their team (say the get to chose 5 players per week) this would mean that active players would be rewarded without having to sign in to another thread

i would also have a limit on the training rookies/ experienced players - say the could train 2 rookies at a time but had to train at least 1

2) Training efficiency based on activness of the players (say someone who posts 4 or 5 times a week would not train as effectivley as someone who posts 40 times per week - this would obviously be limited - someone would have to judge how active people were so people dont post garbage so they get better stats)

3) Training benifits limited per season - so players can only improve so much every season.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Age has a reasonable idea there actually. If a captain has the choice of 5 players, and he says what specifically he wants them to train. Might slightly benefit the more prominent players in the team though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think training might be more useful for the guys that don't get a game, as it makes you fell like your still in the game and by training you are improving your game and therefore increasing your chances to get a game.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Aye, that's right - if the captains got to choose from any of their players, it would only be encouragement for them to further improve already established players rather than to work their backup players up while they aren't playing.

However, if the players that the captain picked had to miss a game for every bit of training they did, then it might work.

Just more things to think about, though, for now. It would be nice to get CWBCC input on this one.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Loony BoB said:
However, if the players that the captain picked had to miss a game for every bit of training they did, then it might work.

i like the idea. though i do trust all the sides captains to do things in the best interest of the system so i would like to think that the training of players would be something that the captains would share around - if training were capped that would encourage even more sharing around.

this thread could probably be stickied too considering its the only active thread in this forum.