• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19s Tour of Africa

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Webheads knot series after South African collapse
Cricket Web Under-19 vs South Africa Under-19 - 2nd Youth ODI

Scorecard
Commentary

Chris Dywer, Paddy Gundry and Nick Hancock made breakthroughs at crucial moments, as CW U-19 hindered and then overcame a strong challenge by their South African counterparts, eventually settling for a 78-run win.

Aggressive top and middle order batting seemed to be be playing South Africa U-19 into a prime position at 196-4, but it was then that Kieswetter pulled a Gundry long-hop into the waiting hands of Mamesh at midwicket. From there it was a devastating slide, comprising of the next 5 wickets falling for just 4 runs.

Earlier, Thamba Mamesh and Shan Jasotharan got their team off to a rollicking start. Matt Pitt and Nick Scott then struggled to maintain the momentum against nagging middle overs bowling. It took an entertaining 40 off 29 balls from wicketkeeper Stephen Burke to lift the score, in the end, and a total of 278-5 proved far sufficient in the final act.

Cricket Web Under-19 278-5 (50 overs)
T Mamesh 52, S Jasotharan/NG Scott 47; M Serame 1-28

South Africa Under-19 200 all out (44 overs)
J Symes 56, R das Neves 36; PG Gundry 4-48

Cricket Web Under-19 won by 78 runs.
Man of the Match: PG Gundry

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Another impressive all round performance, great way to seal the series guys.

BTW is there any news on the fixtures for the Youth Tests?

Bobisback

International Regular
Another couple of wickets :)

Kinda glad we didnt lose enough wickets for me to bat in either matches, though would have been nice to get some runs too :)

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Another top notch performance!

This time Thamba and Shan didn't fail, ... excellent start,batted really well :)

Pitt, Scott and Burke all unlucky not to hit 50's also.

In the field the spinners did another excellent job, taking plenty of wickets. All the quicks were economical .... shame about Pitt's over ;)

Good job guys, try for a clean one day sweep.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Rodgie gets a debut

CW Under 19 Selectors have called up squad members Justin Rodgie and Callum McKern into the starting XI for the final One Day Match against South Africa. With the series sealed the selectors have decided to give some of the younger players in Rodgie, Dravid and Dwyer more of chance to impress selecting them in a new look Top Four. Callum McKern also returns to side after being preferred to the two man spin attack in the first two games. The players to drop out are Shan Jasoatharan and Paddy Gundry who will be allowed to return to their grade sides, as their respectively Dev League sides both have byes.

T Mamesh (c)
CR Dwyer
JH Rodgie
N Dravid
SJ Burke (wk)
NG Scott
MJ Pitt
NE Hancock (vc)
AA Cameron
KJ Goughy
CD McKern

12th: S Jasotharan
13th: PG Gundry

Bobisback

International Regular
chaminda_00 said:
CW Under 19 Selectors have called up squad members Justin Rodgie and Callum McKern into the starting XI for the final One Day Match against South Africa. With the series sealed the selectors have decided to give some of the younger players in Rodgie, Dravid and Dwyer more of chance to impress selecting them in a new look Top Four. Callum McKern also returns to side after being preferred to the two man spin attack in the first two games. The players to drop out are Shan Jasoatharan and Paddy Gundry who will be allowed to return to their grade sides, as their respectively Dev League sides both have byes.

T Mamesh (c)
CR Dwyer
JH Rodgie
N Dravid
SJ Burke (wk)
NG Scott
MJ Pitt
NE Hancock (vc)
AA Cameron
KJ Goughy
CD McKern

Are the bookies open? $100 on me to get <10 :laugh:

Seriously though, thanks for the shot at opening :)

new_age_ar

First Class Debutant
chaminda_00 said:

T Mamesh (c)
CR Dwyer
JH Rodgie
N Dravid
SJ Burke (wk)
NG Scott
MJ Pitt
NE Hancock (vc)
AA Cameron
KJ Goughy
CD McKern

Same tactics as last game just replace Dwyer with Jaso in the batting. Let McKern open with Goughy and Cameron bowls in the middle overs instead of Gundry.

Very happy with the team performance so far, the new bowlers have really stepped up this series and now there is a chance for the new guys in the batting to step up. Lets make it 8 YODI wins in a row guys. :) 7 from 7 from my captaincy as well so far in YODIs. :cool: Very good start to my captaincy career i must say, now i just need to work on the Youth Tests tactics.

Dravid

International Captain
15* off 9 balls not bad. Getting to bat at number 4 next game so more runs coming from me.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
new_age_ar said:
7 from 7 from my captaincy as well so far in YODIs. :cool: Very good start to my captaincy career i must say, now i just need to work on the Youth Tests tactics.
A great record. SilentStriker must be worshiping you now :laugh:

Good man management skills as well. I love the fact you let me drink for free on your tab at the clubhouse after the first game to say sorry for only giving me 6 overs when I had a 4fer and could easily have taken 5 if Id have bowled more. :)

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
This has been a great series. I'm really impressed with our U19 team, they've been excellent.
I'll admit I've been reading from the front to the back over the last few hours (and it's NR Hancock :D) but we've been playing really well, so I'm more than happy ^_^ I just wish I'd made this connection earlier.
Suffice to say, I'm here now and I'm enjoying it! Carn CricketWeb :)