Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ U-19's in CWLand

Breakout Champion!
    Right. I hadn't quite got what you were saying. My bad.

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    Regarding those who say that FC / List-A players should not play U-19 level cricket as it's "below" them...

Precedent - all the following players were playing FC / List-A cricket before they went on tour to Sri Lanka in the 2003 season. This is the first tour I checked (I was looking for the previous U-19 world cup).

Shahid Yousuf - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.
    Jahangir Mirza - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season.
    Kaushal Silva - Playing FC cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing List-A cricket in the 2001/2002 season.
    Sulaman Qadir - Playing List-A cricket in 2000/2001 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.

These were just the first four players I looked at in the first tour I looked at. All were playing FC / List-A cricket in Pakistan before a tour went ahead - notably during the Pakistan regular season. Some of them have pretty impressive FC / List-A careers going for them, too.

EDIT: When I say they were playing in a certain season, I mean that's the first season that they were playing that level of cricket, not that it's the only season.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 13-03-2006 at 08:51 AM.
    REMEMBER: A couple of years in therapy, you'll get over it.

Proud to be a member of the CW Colts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeW
    Hopefully the guys that have opted to not play have a think about it and change there mind, its not every day you get chosen to represent your country. It shouldnt be seen as a choir. I would of thought everyone would of loved to represent CW. Imo if your not available for the games during the Dev league season you shouldnt be picked in its off-season as its not fair to the guys who actually wanted to play.
    It's a cricket tour, why would it be seen as a bunch of wierd boys singing?
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    So Moises Henriques and Piyush Chawla have proved absolutely nothing? Ridiculous.
    Both of them were spoken about before the WC.

An ordinary tour isn't a World Cup.

Also, how much web coverage do these tours get when they happen?

Compare it to how much domestic cricket gets covered.

Now try and say which is the more important.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB
    Regarding those who say that FC / List-A players should not play U-19 level cricket as it's "below" them...

Precedent - all the following players were playing FC / List-A cricket before they went on tour to Sri Lanka in the 2003 season. This is the first tour I checked (I was looking for the previous U-19 world cup).

Shahid Yousuf - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.
    Jahangir Mirza - Playing List-A cricket in 2001/2002 season.
    Kaushal Silva - Playing FC cricket in 2001/2002 season. Playing List-A cricket in the 2001/2002 season.
    Sulaman Qadir - Playing List-A cricket in 2000/2001 season. Playing FC cricket in 2002/2003 season.

These were just the first four players I looked at in the first tour I looked at. All were playing FC / List-A cricket in Pakistan before a tour went ahead - notably during the Pakistan regular season.
    Yousuf - 1 FC game
    Mirza - 3 List A games in each season
    Silva - can't find him on cricketarchive
    Qadir - 1 FC game

These are regulars how exactly?

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Yousuf - 1 FC game
    Qadir - 1 FC game

In real life, people aren't deemed inactive. We have to play rookies because there aren't too many from "the dark ages" left. Plus they sign up with abundant awesome-ness.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Both of them were spoken about before the WC.

An ordinary tour isn't a World Cup.

Also, how much web coverage do these tours get when they happen?

Compare it to how much domestic cricket gets covered.

Now try and say which is the more important.
    They were spoken about because of their performance at age level cricket. I don't see why it matters where they're playing the age level cricket. It's the same thing.

Besides, it's completely untrue to say that Chawla's reputation wasn't enhanced after the World Cup. It doesn't matter what press he had before. He was not on the verge of Test selection before. That's a fact.

In terms of players getting their reputation enhanced by "meaningless" tours, Jason Mohammed Leon Johnson had their reputations enhanced greatly by their meaningless tours before the World Cup.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Yousuf - 1 FC game
    Qadir - 1 FC game

In addition to what Sean said, real life teams don't have squads limited to 18 players. The fact is that the player pool is so small that it's all relative. A typical domestic team outside of CWLand has at least twice as many players from which to choose the first 18, then choose 11 from that squad of 18. In CWLand, we only have 18 players to choose 11 from.

It's not the same.

I'd like to see where these 36 man squads are in any form of domestic cricket.

International Captain Loony BoB's Avatar
    I believe he said they pick 18 from the 36 - the 36 including the U-19s, the reserves, etc. who would otherwise play club cricket.

International Regular cricketboy29's Avatar
    Talking about comparisons, A tour would definitely trump an under-19 tour in terms of media coverage. If were talking about under-19 tours, i think they would be on the same level, or a maybe just a tad lower since usually people who play under-19 may or may not click in the domestic league structure. Reetinder Singh Sodhi for an example. But a under-19 world cup definitely is bigger than the domestic league. No argument.
    Member of CW RED

Queensland-Season 7 OD Champions

Currently Managing: NSW

Rahul Dravid: A Real Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket player
    damn mods are more agressive then the teacher's in school that i have'
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieDominance
    *Sigh* what's the dev league got itself into.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    I would like to say im all for u/19 tours, but the players selected should be players that will be considered for selection i the future, like Henriques IRL, not players who are currently in the test squad.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    I'd definetely be up for it. If Garven is against me going though, then I'm not sure, since Greens could do with a few wins (not that I'd be helping much for that, anyway).

All Green players have my full support if they choose to tour, or they if they opt out and stay and play fro Green. The choice is up to each individual.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    but the players selected should be players that will be considered for selection i the future, like Henriques IRL
    Would you be of the opinion that Weber and Borcich should come under that description?

I'd like to see where these 36 man squads are in any form of domestic cricket.
    Well in West Indies domestic cricket you've got to pick a squad of 15 or 16 from about a couple hundred. That a good enough example?

What about in India where there are countless players about for a team to sign for a season? Way more than 36 I assure you.

What about any English county where there are certainly far more than 36 players to decide the squad for the season? This is evidenced by the FACT that they have reserve squads, age level squads etc etc.

You'd like to see more? Be real.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information