• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Season 7 Club Cricket

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
On the diary, I thought I'd just continue the one I started in Media Coverage...but I'm not sure If mother would let me leave the country...

PY

International Coach
Cloete said:
Then the difference between 30 and 55 is 15.
I cannot believe that no-one saw that for what it is. :laugh:

Deary me, standards are slipping. :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
reading the first thread it looks to me like your averages only get worse if you do worse than your current skills

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cloete said:
Yeah I guess.. but then there can't be reductions on your average. It's hardly worth playing club cricket because odds are your average will drop.

IMO if your average is say 30. Then the difference between 30 and 55 is 15. So your average should only drop by 1 if you average 15 or less. Otherwise there's a much better chance of reducing your average than tehre is of building it. Which I think is just stupid.
Er your average only drops if you average at least 5 runs less than your career average.

Mr Mxyzptlk

AUST_HiTMaN said:
Just a small suggestion for next seasons Club Cricket. To make it fairer and give everyone an equal chance of improving based upon their own skill levels. Wouldn't it be best if you had the benchmarks set upon individual averages, rather then just saying if you average over 60, ect. Compare someone like Cloete (just using you for example mate) where his average is right up near 60 anyway, he would just have to play slightly above average to improve. Then there is a player like Samuel Vimes (again using you for example) who is around the 30 mark, who would have to play out of his skin to reach that 60 level.

I know it would be more work for the board, but IMO it would be fairer if you had it like:

2. American League (hosted in the U.S.A.)
- Unlimited number of internationals
Players may sign up to play here, but must be approved by the CWBCC if contracted.

Batting avge of 30+ current average: skill raised by 2
Batting avge lower than current: skill drops by 4 runs per 5 runs less
Bowling avge of 10- current average: skill raised by 1
Bowling avge higher than current: skill drops by 3 runs per 5 runs more

That way if Samuel Vimes had a career average of 25.00, and he played 9 games at an average of 57.00 his skill would increase by 2.

It would need refinement, but IMO its more fairer to all levels of cricketers.

Apologies if it has been suggested befoer.
Type it up fully, email it to me and I'll look at it. I see your point.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
AUST_HiTMaN said:
Just a small suggestion for next seasons Club Cricket. To make it fairer and give everyone an equal chance of improving based upon their own skill levels. Wouldn't it be best if you had the benchmarks set upon individual averages, rather then just saying if you average over 60, ect. Compare someone like Cloete (just using you for example mate) where his average is right up near 60 anyway, he would just have to play slightly above average to improve. Then there is a player like Samuel Vimes (again using you for example) who is around the 30 mark, who would have to play out of his skin to reach that 60 level.

I know it would be more work for the board, but IMO it would be fairer if you had it like:

2. American League (hosted in the U.S.A.)
- Unlimited number of internationals
Players may sign up to play here, but must be approved by the CWBCC if contracted.

Batting avge of 30+ current average: skill raised by 2
Batting avge lower than current: skill drops by 4 runs per 5 runs less
Bowling avge of 10- current average: skill raised by 1
Bowling avge higher than current: skill drops by 3 runs per 5 runs more

That way if Samuel Vimes had a career average of 25.00, and he played 9 games at an average of 57.00 his skill would increase by 2.

It would need refinement, but IMO its more fairer to all levels of cricketers.

Apologies if it has been suggested befoer.

yeah that could work really well, someone just needs to come up with good numbers to use :)

David

International 12th Man
if someone with the maths skills could use bell curves, and standard deviation and all that confusing ******** I'm sure that'd work well...

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i would suggest something like 35% better skill increase by 1, 50% increase by 2, 60% increase by 3

which gives you a pretty good shot at 1pt increase but makes the latter 2 harder

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yep, I'll be typing it up and sending proposal to the Board within a couple of days. It can't be too technical and time consuming, but it has to be fair.

Simon

AUST_HiTMaN said:
Yep, I'll be typing it up and sending proposal to the Board within a couple of days. It can't be too technical and time consuming, but it has to be fair.
always on the ball dave!

Timewell

U19 Debutant
Have all the positions for Club cricket been taken up? I'd love to go back to the USA and get some practice against lesser players...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Unfortunately all the spots have been taken for the moment. However Maine has hinted that they may be signing a player or two more before all is said and done. Currently their concern is lack funds to sign overseas players though. (Hence they settled for Halsey. ;))