Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Grade Pre-Season Discussion.

  1. #1
    International 12th Man David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,661

    Grade Pre-Season Discussion.

    Whilst discussing with Håkon, we thought that perhaps centrally contracted players shouldn't play grade. Thoughts?

    Anybody with any suggestions feel free to fire away here.
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets
    .

  2. #2
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    I don't suppose it's a bad idea that the centrally contracted players are inelegible for Grade cricket, no doubt they will have a different view though. Any ideas on when the season is going to get underway?
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    I have no ibjection to centrally contracted players playing grade cricket. Though during the season it perhaps might not be the most realistic senario, their time would more likely be spent in training camps related to international games. That would only be the cont\racted players in the squad though.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    The issue is that some central contracted players aren't always first choice picks for their clubs in both forms. By not letting them play Grade cricket it reduces their chances to push for selection in their weaker form if they get dropped from their Dev League sides. With Grade Cricket now counting to stats then an extra three point increase in batting could help them push for a spot in the first XI.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to play Grade Cricket. Any reason why it's been suggested, Dave?
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,078
    I am a centrally contracted player but I am not an automatic selection for Black FC.

    Now my aim is to try and become as good a FC players as I am OD. It is possible (though from my POV not desirable) that my main 4 day cricket will be in Grade cricket.

    Without Grade cricket and its new ability to influence stats I (Im not sure if there are others in a similar boat) would be heavily disadvantaged through playing very little 4 day cricket.

    If there was OD games in Grade I wouldnt have a problem with being left out of that but not 4 day
    Last edited by Goughy; 14-04-2007 at 11:52 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    I have no ibjection to centrally contracted players playing grade cricket. Though during the season it perhaps might not be the most realistic senario, their time would more likely be spent in training camps related to international games. That would only be the cont\racted players in the squad though.
    You've got a very good point, I mean how many of Australia's centrally contracted players actuall play Grade Cricket? It is very uncommon, although I think a complete 'ban' on centrally contracted players playing Grade Cricket is a bit harsh, because it limits their opportunities to push for selection in their weaker form of the game.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    The reason why centrally contracted Australians don't play Grade Cricket often is due to availability. The circumstances under which a centrally contracted CWer would play Grade Cricket would be - 1) not playing for the CW XI and 2) not playing for their Dev League club. Australian players who are centrally contracted are the same. Shane Warne used to play for St Kilda, when he was available (which, granted, wasn't very often).

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,572
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho View Post
    The reason why centrally contracted Australians don't play Grade Cricket often is due to availability. The circumstances under which a centrally contracted CWer would play Grade Cricket would be - 1) not playing for the CW XI and 2) not playing for their Dev League club. Australian players who are centrally contracted are the same. Shane Warne used to play for St Kilda, when he was available (which, granted, wasn't very often).
    Last couple of years there has been the "long live club cricket" weekend where the test stars turn out in the grade comp. Other than that they're generally in training however contracted players such as Hodge and Jaques generally get a few grade matches each year due to them often not being on international duty.

    I don't understand why contracted players shouldn't be allowed to play grade. Doesn't make much sense tbh.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

    CricketWeb Black!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

  10. #10
    International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth. WA
    Posts
    6,649
    yeah langer played his grade before he retired still does too
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

    Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata



    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Testing Forums into the Sunset
    Posts
    8,440
    Yeah, it seems like it's just been suggested for the sake of it, an unnecessary addition to the sim if there ever was one.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Last couple of years there has been the "long live club cricket" weekend where the test stars turn out in the grade comp. Other than that they're generally in training however contracted players such as Hodge and Jaques generally get a few grade matches each year due to them often not being on international duty.

    I don't understand why contracted players shouldn't be allowed to play grade. Doesn't make much sense tbh.
    I don't think we are going to have a situation where Jaques get's 321 like he did against my brother's team(North Sydney) .

  13. #13
    International 12th Man David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,661
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master View Post
    I have no objection to centrally contracted players playing grade cricket. Though during the season it perhaps might not be the most realistic scenario, their time would more likely be spent in training camps related to international games. That would only be the contracted players in the squad though.
    I figured the same, as I wasn't sure exactly how much Grade cricket was played by our international players. I figured realistically they wouldn't, however wanted to find out if this was actually the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    The issue is that some central contracted players aren't always first choice picks for their clubs in both forms. By not letting them play Grade cricket it reduces their chances to push for selection in their weaker form if they get dropped from their Dev League sides. With Grade Cricket now counting to stats then an extra three point increase in batting could help them push for a spot in the first XI.
    That also needs to be taken into consideration. Bear in mind both Håkon and myself are centrally contracted, and neither of us are first choice picks for OD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho View Post
    I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to play Grade Cricket. Any reason why it's been suggested, Dave?
    Realism. Although it seems not to be the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I am a centrally contracted player but I am not an automatic selection for Black FC.

    Now my aim is to try and become as good a FC players as I am OD. It is possible (though from my POV not desirable) that my main 4 day cricket will be in Grade cricket.

    Without Grade cricket and its new ability to influence stats I (Im not sure if there are others in a similar boat) would be heavily disadvantaged through playing very little 4 day cricket.

    If there was OD games in Grade I wouldnt have a problem with being left out of that but not 4 day
    As above, I am in the same boat except OD wilderness not 4D.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho View Post
    The reason why centrally contracted Australians don't play Grade Cricket often is due to availability. The circumstances under which a centrally contracted CWer would play Grade Cricket would be - 1) not playing for the CW XI and 2) not playing for their Dev League club. Australian players who are centrally contracted are the same. Shane Warne used to play for St Kilda, when he was available (which, granted, wasn't very often).
    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Last couple of years there has been the "long live club cricket" weekend where the test stars turn out in the grade comp. Other than that they're generally in training however contracted players such as Hodge and Jaques generally get a few grade matches each year due to them often not being on international duty.

    I don't understand why contracted players shouldn't be allowed to play grade. Doesn't make much sense tbh.
    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by ash chaulk View Post
    yeah langer played his grade before he retired still does too
    Thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho View Post
    Yeah, it seems like it's just been suggested for the sake of it, an unnecessary addition to the sim if there ever was one.
    No need to be like that.

    Bottom line was I figured it'd be more realistic, however clearly it isn't. Thank you all for your comments.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Ahhhhh the wonders of Multi-Quote.

  15. #15
    Cricketer Of The Year bugssy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    8,213
    brad haddin and braken play for there grades (east) when they can. i know bevan and mcgrath and a few of them used to play for the respected grade clubs when there where available, which was usually at the start of a season.
    Career cricket
    311 wickets @16.54 and 3021 runs @ 34.56 from 176 games over 11 years H.S 178*
    Member of the CW Green
    Cricket Web Career:(end of season 11) FC: 7404 runs @ 30.85 H.S 253* : One Day: 7331 runs @ 48.55 H.S 155*
    Off season: FC 1209 @ 52.51 & One Day: 921 @ 92.10
    COD4: djs clan
    World Of Warcraft: just sensational

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Breaking News* Grade Cricket to count!
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Grade Cricket
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 14-07-2008, 06:08 AM
  2. Grade Cricket Season XII
    By David in forum CW Grade Cricket
    Replies: 478
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 05:55 AM
  3. Vote For Island Swell Player of The Season
    By Goughy in forum Cricket Web Premiership
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 19-04-2007, 12:21 AM
  4. Grade Activity Check Season XI
    By David in forum CW Grade Cricket
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •