• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Red Thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Carmine vs Vermilion
at McLean Park

Scorecard
Commentary

Thanks to Callum Thompson and the spinners, the Carmine side pulled up a 45-run win in a rather confident performance, though the frontline one-day seamers playing for Vermilion showed some worrying signs of faltering in the 10-degree New Zealand sun.

After winning the toss, Mørk sent his openers Bennett and Sharma in, and the pair played with a very positive intent. At 87 for one, things looked excellent, but Dauth wasn't quite in the minnow-bashing mode from up north and Bennett got a bottom edge to Canadian Geoff Barnett at deep midwicket, causing some desperation to set into the team. Another local lad, Matthew Sinclair, stuck down one end well for Thompson, however, as the new Red recruit thumped 86 with eight fours and a six and the seventh-wicket stand read 50. With Håkon Mørk also nabbing 19 unbeaten runs, the total stood at a somewhat respectable 258 for eight, despite Clapham taking his customary two for sod-all in one-day cricket. Robbins had more threat, but also more edges, going for 57 off his ten while removing Dauth and Reddlapalli.

The vermilion side replied by sending Kearsley in to open with Dobson, leaving Luff at three. This proved to be no particular success; a Raghav snorter was fended off to Sinclair at square leg, who came in well for a diving catch, and though Dobson and Luff put on 103, they saw the run rate quietly sneak upwards. Then came the spinners. Sean Bennett struck with his seventh ball, a couple of overs after Luff had shown signs of settlement with a six and a four, then had Robbins caught in the deep a little later in the over. Dwyer then had Gray fend a ball with extra pace to the wicketkeeper, and at 110 for four things were precarious. And despite Dobson sticking around for 69, the run rate exploded. Bennett and Kennett ended the formalities, as Sean Bennett put in his second confident one-day performance with the ball this tour.

Cricket Web Carmine 258 for eight
CP Thompson 86, RJ Dauth 39, SA Bennett 38; KR Clapham 2-39, DJ Watt 2-56, MJ Robbins 2-57

Cricket Web Vermilion 213 all out (48.4 overs)
GKK Dobson 69, MD Luff 46, GN Nayak 41; SA Bennett 4-43, DM Kennett 3-34, S Raghav 2-28

Cricket Web Carmine won by 45 runs

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clapham taking his customary two for sod-all in one-day cricket.
:cool: wish i could turn it into a 4 or 5-fer on the odd occasion.

Dissappointed we couldn't come away with the victory, but well batted to Thommo & Dobson, and top bowling from Bennett & Kennett.

btw, the links aren't working cap'n ;)

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Again, I am very happy that I contributed my part for the team win with a decent bowling performance..Its been a great tour for me till now